The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

Just my opinion, but I don’t think Waddell was the decision-maker in trading Skinner. Peters made it pretty plain that he was no fan of Skinner. Most seem to feel RB and even Willy did not want him back. And I still believe that Dundon has assumed the role of making final decisions. All that said, I am not a fan of DW as GM, or of an owner with limited hockey background (well really any owner) being the decision maker on personnel decisions. Deviil’s advocate though, do we “blame” RF for not re-signing E. Staal? He had 40+ goals last year. But ... would he have re-signed here 3 years for $10.5 million? Should we have paid him $5 million or $6 million a year to stay on? Would he have ever tripled his output as a Cane from his last year here (13 goals if I recall)? I don’t think so. A lot goes into these decisions that we, as fans, never know about.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Peters made it pretty plain that he was no fan of Skinner.

It's all academic at this point, but I beg to differ. Peters was the one who challenged Skinner to play D, and Skinner responded with the two best offensive and defensive years of his career--after which BP said, at the annual golf tournament, that Skinner had the inside track for the Captaincy. Then we suddenly get the co-captain abortion.

Others can disagree, call me a conspiracy theorist, whatever--I don't give a *edit*. But I'd bet that what happened is that Rod did not want his precious C besmirched by Skinner, since he had the rep for being weak on defense. So he went to RF and said he'd leave if Skinner got the C. RF, being ultra-sensitive to fan perception, asked Roddy whom he'd prefer, and - viola! - Staal and Faulk are named. The fact that both got letters again this year (Faulk in no way earned one in any of the past three seasons) is all the confirmation I need to know it wasn't BP who derailed Skinner in Raleigh.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I'd be pretty surprised if Brind'Amour threatened to walk on his only coaching opportunity. But I do bet that he lobbied the committee that Skinner would undermine the "cultural change" that everyone wanted (and we've wanted since about forever). To me that is the only explanation for letting him walk for such a small return with a full year left on his deal.

I will say that while I am still reserving judgement on Brind'Amour, I have been troubled from the outset that Dundon has been so unwilling or unable to bring in strong, successful outsiders. I agree that Brind'Amour would benefit from a well traveled assistant, maybe even an ex head coach. I also thought we'd benefit from getting an up and coming GM from the assistant ranks of successful teams. 

I reserve judgment on that too, but Waddell didn't even want the job for crying out loud. I like that Dundon wants to be personally involved, but I don't want Jerry Jones. 

• Like 3

I feel like we should restaff our assistant coaches. With Q, Stevens among others available. (if we could ever get one back in an assistant role again and is willing to come aboard.) A lot of small issues that are compounding, I notice it mostly on defense, I think a lot of these stem from the changes in assistsants and not RB.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I think the bottom line with this team is they went too new too fast from top to bottom.  New front office, new HC, and we iced 6 unproven rookies on opening night.  If anyone's to blame, I'd say TD.  I don't 100% fault HCRB for the early season struggles, as he inherited a very young, unproven team and is expected to be a playoff contender.  I can't blame GMDW too much for icing a young team, because they've all had legit claim to a roster spot.  Svechnikov had an off the charts season last year, as did Necas.  Zykov/Foegle led the AHL in goals, and Wallmark led the league in points.  But between all that newness, their had to be an adult in the room.

Also, I've seen some major regression from some of these veteran players, mainly Williams, Staal, and Slavin.  Williams and Staal look slow, and Slavin looks to be sacrificing some of his defensive ability in favor of offense.  Lastly, it is astonishing that this team hasn't addressed the lack of scoring issue that's plagued this team for years.  This one in one out method hasn't been effective.

Going forward, it does appear that the team is wanting to address scoring, with the constant Nylander speculation.  Top's going to be mad with me, but if Nylander doesn't work out, I think we should go all in on Matt Duchene.  He's over a ppg player right now, and he could play C or LW, both are areas of concern for this team.

• Like 2

I think the teams plan took a big hit, er slice, when Rask had his brain fart in the kitchen. That would be one more veteran presence on the bench and an upgrade for the third or fourth line center.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

I think the bottom line with this team is they went too new too fast from top to bottom. 

Cost of a rebuild including a new owner.  It had to happen.

21 hours ago, remkin said:

I'd be pretty surprised if Brind'Amour threatened to walk on his only coaching opportunity. But I do bet that he lobbied the committee that Skinner would undermine the "cultural change" that everyone wanted (and we've wanted since about forever). To me that is the only explanation for letting him walk for such a small return with a full year left on his deal.

I will say that while I am still reserving judgement on Brind'Amour, I have been troubled from the outset that Dundon has been so unwilling or unable to bring in strong, successful outsiders. I agree that Brind'Amour would benefit from a well traveled assistant, maybe even an ex head coach. I also thought we'd benefit from getting an up and coming GM from the assistant ranks of successful teams. 

I reserve judgment on that too, but Waddell didn't even want the job for crying out loud. I like that Dundon wants to be personally involved, but I don't want Jerry Jones. 

Just my opinion and a theory but I think Dundon wanted to feel comfortable within the committee and experienced GM' and coaches threatened his lack of knowledge.He felt that strong knowledge of experienced GM and coaches limited his thought process. HE didnt want an ex head coach looking over HCRB shoulder possibly questioning his moves and adding additional pressure to Brindy. Brindy would feel immediate pressure to perform flawless moves or ex-coach may slide into my spot.Dundon was more comfortable that the brass was all rookies and we will work it out by committee.Just a thought and not worth a cup of coffee.

• Like 1

Z going down to Charlotte on a conditioning stint. He won’t have to pass through waivers.

he has to be called back up by the 27th.

Edited by gocanes0506

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

On the one hand, it does seem to be unlucky. On the other hand, if Pesce is the guy they want (he'd be the guy I'd want), then this is a unique situation where it may not matter that much. Toronto is 11-6 without Nylander (and without Pesce). They have the extreme luxury of thinking medium and long term almost exclusively. If I'm Toronto's GM I want the right guy, not the immediate guy. 

It doesn't help, but my guess is that it's a minor issue so long as the injury is standard stuff and not a long term issue.

26 minutes ago, remkin said:

On the one hand, it does seem to be unlucky. On the other hand, if Pesce is the guy they want (he'd be the guy I'd want), then this is a unique situation where it may not matter that much. Toronto is 11-6 without Nylander (and without Pesce). They have the extreme luxury of thinking medium and long term almost exclusively. If I'm Toronto's GM I want the right guy, not the immediate guy. 

It doesn't help, but my guess is that it's a minor issue so long as the injury is standard stuff and not a long term issue.

Twenty days  and counting will have all the hockey bloggers, columnists and rumor watchers posting. I don't ignore what is being speculated on and at the same time don't count on it being any more than that, speculation. With the sign, trade or sit scenarios all possible it makes the Nylander situation ripe for any and all possibilities.

11 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Just my opinion and a theory but I think Dundon wanted to feel comfortable within the committee and experienced GM' and coaches threatened his lack of knowledge.He felt that strong knowledge of experienced GM and coaches limited his thought process. HE didnt want an ex head coach looking over HCRB shoulder possibly questioning his moves and adding additional pressure to Brindy. Brindy would feel immediate pressure to perform flawless moves or ex-coach may slide into my spot.Dundon was more comfortable that the brass was all rookies and we will work it out by committee.Just a thought and not worth a cup of coffee.

Wonder if Rod feels pressure to perform or Vellucci might slide into his spot. Chicago just replaced a 3 time SC winner with their AHL coach. In their case, I predict they regret that move, but Vellucci has som e success in Charlotte, while Rod has only been an assistant on non-playoff teams. Realistically, I don’t see TD giving Rod less than a full season unless we melt down completely, though.

13 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Wonder if Rod feels pressure to perform or Vellucci might slide into his spot. Chicago just replaced a 3 time SC winner with their AHL coach. In their case, I predict they regret that move, but Vellucci has som e success in Charlotte, while Rod has only been an assistant on non-playoff teams. Realistically, I don’t see TD giving Rod less than a full season unless we melt down completely, though.

I don't see a chance in hell that Rod won't make the year out in Raleigh behind the bench.  If you think that the hockey elite (or wanna be's and internet GM's) have poo poo'd Dundon on moves with Francis and Peters, imagine ditching Roddy without giving him the year.

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 2

Everything I read still has us all in on this Nylander thing. Odds are Toronto resigns him but if he does hit the trade block I don't see how we don't make a deal that the Leafs can't refuse. The asking price is now said to be a top 4 Dman and a top 9 forward. We have the assets but do we want to make a deal that could disrupt what we already have. Pesce seems to be the key.

4 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

My guess is that to Top's dismay we wind up with Kadri for a salary dump type deal. 

I think you could be right

17 minutes ago, OBXer said:

The asking price is now said to be a top 4 Dman and a top 9 forward. We have the assets but do we want to make a deal that could disrupt what we already have. Pesce seems to be the key.

If it is an accurate assessment of their ask I can see them wanting Pesce and McGinn.  Do we want to make that deal? Giving up a lot but getting a lot  that is greatly needed. Adding a 50+ pt guy gives us so many more options on our lines.

9 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

If it is an accurate assessment of their ask I can see them wanting Pesce and McGinn.  Do we want to make that deal? Giving up a lot but getting a lot  that is greatly needed. Adding a 50+ pt guy gives us so many more options on our lines.

It's difficult to say if the speculated ask is what they want or will ultimately get. If it is accurate I think we should make the deal although it could disrupt a very good defense for us.

51 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Everything I read still has us all in on this Nylander thing. Odds are Toronto resigns him but if he does hit the trade block I don't see how we don't make a deal that the Leafs can't refuse. The asking price is now said to be a top 4 Dman and a top 9 forward. We have the assets but do we want to make a deal that could disrupt what we already have. Pesce seems to be the key.

I know Pesce got dinged up against Detroit on Saturday, but he did still finish the game.  Now, why wasn't he able to go against Chicago two nights later?  Are we taking our time with his "recovery" because we don't want to risk him actually getting hurt and ruining any possible trade with Toronto for Nylander?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MassCaniac said:

I know Pesce got dinged up against Detroit on Saturday, but he did still finish the game.  Now, why wasn't he able to go against Chicago two nights later?  Are we taking our time with his "recovery" because we don't want to risk him actually getting hurt and ruining any possible trade with Toronto for Nylander?

It days gone by I would of said that is a real possibility. In today's NHL I'm not so sure. Still I think it is something to watch. While we are at it why aren't our two backup goalies at practice today?  Is there a bigger deal in the offing or are we just giving them a day off.