The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

1 minute ago, coastal_caniac said:

Pretty much exactly what I thought they were doing, the number their prepared to agree to probably has their sphincters tightened with regards to the future and a cap friendly contract that addresses a current need might be just as good as Nylander for their future.

Short of seeing Waddell had traded him outright for Toews (yeah, right), Darling on waivers is the best news we could have asked for today.  I'm scratching my head over Zykov - again, he looked good Friday in Charlotte, and then wasn't even given a chance in Montreal on his callup.  He was never going to be the next Ciccarelli, though, so it is what it is.  Agreed with the hope this is the precursor to something bigger and that Zykov is being waived to free some space.

• Like 2

What makes no sense is I don't really get what Brindy has against him to already be over him to this extent.

Promising AHL grad to get him the hell off our team at all costs in less then 20 games, I mean what the heck's going on behind the scenes here. Is he an a-hole?

• Like 1

Just now, legend-1 said:

What makes no sense is I don't really get what Brindy has against him to already be over him to this extent.

Promising AHL grad to get him the hell off our team at all costs in less then 20 games, I mean what the heck's going on behind the scenes here. Is he an a-hole?

He has an ego.  Just ask Skinner.

I'll start with Zykov since I've been pushing for him to get back in. I don't get it. PDG gets 1000 lives, but Zykov has shown a flash for scoring and going to the net and he's cut loose? Word is he was back checking and doing well in Charlotte. 

Maybe we're bringing Necas back up. Maybe we're about to announce the Nylander blockbuster. If so, nevermind. But if someone claims Zykov, without us really giving him another chance it will be a shame. 

Darling deserves his own post. If only he could have played between them. 

This needed to happen. It's too bad that he could not be what we had hoped after the summer of Rocky montage workouts, but this remains one of Francis' big whiffs. In all fairness I hailed the move. But then again, I'm not getting paid for this. 

There is no point in him taking starts from Booth or Ned, so I guess we'll see what happens with him, but clearly this is it for the Darling run in Carolina, and we'll be better for it. 

In the "another trade could be part of this" line (almost never is another trade coming, but this time could be different) the idea of Jimmy Howard or the big move for Bob maybe. Howard makes sense to me. But then so did Mongo.

1 minute ago, remkin said:

Darling deserves his own post. If only he could have played between them. 

This needed to happen. It's too bad that he could not be what we had hoped after the summer of Rocky montage workouts, but this remains one of Francis' big whiffs. In all fairness I hailed the move. But then again, I'm not getting paid for this. 

There is no point in him taking starts from Booth or Ned, so I guess we'll see what happens with him, but clearly this is it for the Darling run in Carolina, and we'll be better for it. 

In the another trade is coming line (almost never is another trade coming, but this time could be different) the idea of Jimmy Howard or the big move for Bob maybe. Howard makes sense to me. But then so did Mongo.

I say we go for Bob.  If it is even possible.  Howard reminds me of another Cam Ward.

1 minute ago, bluedevil58 said:

I say we go for Bob.  If it is even possible.  Howard reminds me of another Cam Ward.

The problem will be salary AND giving up an asset, but he'd nail things down for a while. Howard would be a stop gap until we figure something out for next year. I will say this, in theory, I guess we could trade for the rest of the year of Bob, then let him walk, depending on the price. Just not sure that Columbus would do that.

1 minute ago, remkin said:

The problem will be salary AND giving up an asset, but he'd nail things down for a while. Howard would be a stop gap until we figure something out for next year. I will say this, in theory, I guess we could trade for the rest of the year of Bob, then let him walk, depending on the price. Just not sure that Columbus would do that.

Salary will be a big problem considering how much this team spends.  We are so close to the team salary cap we would have to make room for Bob by trading away massive assets.  Would be really hard to pull it off.  Pretty sure TD would open the pocket book if it were an option.  TD has shown that he will spend big money on players.  Hence our team salary.

Edited by bluedevil58

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

:nailbite::pray:.  Could it actually happen?

If the committee pulls this off, they get a long pause in any criticism from this guy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluedevil58 said:

Salary will be a big problem considering how much this team spends.  We are so close to the team salary cap we would have to make room for Bob by trading away massive assets.  Would be really hard to pull it off.  Pretty sure TD would open the pocket book if it were an option.  TD has shown that he will spend big money on players.  Hence our team salary.

The thing is though, if he wants Cary Price money, that's a pretty big risk for 30 year old, unless we could keep the term down, which he wouldn't sign probably. Also, trying to figure out what we'd offer that would entice Columbus to give up their #1. I don't follow their backups, but the guy in there now, Korpisalo has a Darlinean .886 save percentage. I just doubt they risk playoffs this year unless the return is huge. 

So we'd have to sign him or have them sign and trade, which would be a huge money deal, AND we'd have to give up something substantial to coax them into rolling the dice on their playoff chances this year. Hard to see it.

But Detroit, is rebuilding....

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

Word is they are 300 thousand apart on a deal. Seems like chump change but both sides reported to be at their final offer. I doubt that

I agree OBXer, and this standoff over such a middling amount should scream volumes to Nylander's agent that he means very little in the scheme of things in Toronto? Undoubtedly it also indicates Torontophil haughtiness? It would be tremendous if we could get into a "sign and trade" scenario as a result?

Looks like we wont be able to see those whaler pads from Darling this season  😂  .  Although im kinda surprised that Zykov  is on waivers also .....

Please  someone  , please take Darling off our hands , please !

3 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

I’m bummed...as I can’t post this anymore after yet another soft Darling goal:

0CD90210-97F2-4153-A09F-B2F32590C7AC.gif

Hallelujah!

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

With Darling in the A, does his 4.5m cap hit no longer count against our cap? If so, we are extremely close to the absolute lowest the cap can be without be under it. That said, even with Darling’s cap, we are the lowest cap team in the league. If our internal cap is consistently leaving a whopping $22,341,125 in cap space on the table then it’s no wonder we consistently struggle to remain relevant. I’m not saying spend to the ceiling, but being the cheapest team in the league is not going to help us win any games. This is why I think this a precursor to a move. Nylander I’m hoping. We sign Nylander to a 6.9m x 6year deal, we still have plenty of space for Aho and his 8-9 million cap hit, TT and his ~6m cap hit, and Ferland who will probably see something like 4.5m bridge deal to see if he can score with consistency (beyond this season). Other than that everyone else is expendable (among our pending FAs), and can be replaced via internally or free agency going into next season. If we don’t make a move, for Nylander or anyone, then waiving Zykov is brutal and a second red flag that pops up with this front office’s decision making on players. (We all know the first red flag)

• Like 1

If the difference is $300K then it is highly likely he signs. At some point someone either caves or they split the difference. 

The one thing that might change that is that Nylander supposedly does not want to sign and then be traded later. But Elliot Friedman says that he thinks that is what would happen if he does sign. Toronto uses him this year and in the playoffs, then trades him by the draft. If Nylander thinks this is true, he might push for a trade now.

In a poll they did on that same broadcast, there were zero votes for him being traded as an option. Completely unscientific, but still....

3 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Yeah, I think he must have some HWSNBN- or Babs-sized, ummm... self-respect???

1 minute ago, hag65 said:

I'm glad the committee read our vote of no confidence.  Who knew we have a seat at the table?

You get a seat! You get a seat! YOU get a seat! EVERYBODY gets a seat!!!