The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

13 minutes ago, OBXer said:

The best thing about this is there is now less than 48 hours to find out if somebody blinks

If no one blinks they are both loosers.Nylander looses a season and salary,certainly wont want to resign next year after that,Toronto looses out as well,lost talent.

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Another great move by the brain trust. Let a top scorer go - albeit in the AHL - for zilch.

So is there any question that an inexperienced Owner is calling the shots? Committee my *edit*.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

I just read it is a concussion

Did I miss something? I thought the concern with Jordan was the knee on knee hit not a concussion. The only concussion I heard about was to Hayden...

6 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

Did I miss something? I thought the concern with Jordan was the knee on knee hit not a concussion. The only concussion I heard about was to Hayden...

Sorry I misread rems post, I was referencing about Fluery

J was practicing today. The only reference to that was wondering why they called up Bishop

Just now, OBXer said:

Sorry I was referencing about Fluery

J was practicing today. The only reference to that was wondering why they called up Bishop

Thanks for the clarification. Been a long couple months having to commute for work until our store gets rebuilt in Jacksonville. Then to add to the pile, the dentist broke a crown during a cleaning a couple weeks ago and waiting on the new one to come in. Let's just say I am not as sharp as usual of late.

5 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

Thanks for the clarification. Been a long couple months having to commute for work until our store gets rebuilt in Jacksonville. Then to add to the pile, the dentist broke a crown during a cleaning a couple weeks ago and waiting on the new one to come in. Let's just say I am not as sharp as usual of late.

'I had misread rems post, my bad. I hope things get better for you soon

36 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

Dental stuff should be done soon and we should be back open sometime in January. Driving to Greenville daily sucks.....

Tell me about it. Was making the Durham-Greenville run every day for a bit. Got old quick.

Well we are in the short rows now on this Nylander saga.  I for one will be glad to get past it and worry about playing hockey.

Lots of posturing and speculation but no substance.  Please stick a fork in it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cc said:

Well we are in the short rows now on this Nylander saga.  I for one will be glad to get past it and worry about playing hockey.

Lots of posturing and speculation but no substance.  Please stick a fork in it.

Every day it gets easier to dislike Toronto 

Interesting piece from the Hockey News: 

It’s hard to fathom how things have gone quite so wrong for Darling, who was one of the league’s best stories. The 29-year-old rose from the obscurity of the lower minor leagues while battling alcoholism to win a Stanley Cup with the Blackhawks, his hometown team, before signing his four-year deal and becoming a starter with the Hurricanes. But throughout his time in Carolina, Darling simply hasn’t been able to piece his game together.

Just now, canesfan06 said:

Darling cleared, as expected.

Zykov did not. Headed to Edmonton.

Not surprising. Z has tons of potential. From our side we always knew there was a risk. It was also getting difficult to see where Z fit in. He really needed to be more than a 4th liner to have a chance to show. I'm sure we aren't happy to lose him.

• Like 1

Potential does not win any games.  There was a time that many here thought Darling had it.  Just sayin.  Not intended to be snarly,snarky or critical.  Im looking forward to seeing my 1st win in person tonight.  If we dont I may have to stop attending and eat my tickets...... JK.

4 minutes ago, cc said:

Potential does not win any games.  There was a time that many here thought Darling had it.  Just sayin.  Not intended to be snarly,snarky or critical.  Im looking forward to seeing my 1st win in person tonight.  If we dont I may have to stop attending and eat my tickets...... JK.

So it's official then.  The Sekera trade was also a complete bust.  What exactly did we get out of that trade?

12 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

So it's official then.  The Sekera trade was also a complete bust.

You win some, you lose some

17 minutes ago, OBXer said:

You win some, you lose some

Actually it seems like we have been losing on a consistent basis in trades the past 5 - 10 years.  I really haven't seen a trade that has paid dividends as of late with the exception of getting TT and that is stretching it.

5 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Actually it seems like we have been losing on a consistent basis in trades the past 5 - 10 years.  I really haven't seen a trade that has paid dividends as of late with the exception of getting TT and that is stretching it.

Didn't we actually trade Veersteg for Zykov?  I think we got McKeown and a pick for Sekera. I think we used that pick to get Gauthier

52 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Didn't we actually trade Veersteg for Zykov?  I think we got McKeown and a pick for Sekera. I think we used that pick to get Gauthier

Thanks for being accurate on the trade specifics, OBXer. I mean, if one wants to assert an opinion, why stick to facts, right?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Thanks for being accurate on the trade specifics, OBXer. I mean, if one wants to assert an opinion, why stick to facts, right?

In this case yes because the trade win/lose is still undecided. We shouldn't lose the fact that BD58 has a point as many of our past trades have seemed to not work out so well. Of course when you build through the draft as Francis did there will always be a degree of uncertainty. Sometimes we lose track of the successes. Because of stocking the cupboard we now have a stacked blueline and a bunch of prospets that look like they are about to break out,

I hate we lost Z for nothing but in the big picture it might not be that devastating and Z might get a chance he deserves.

I'm not bent out of shape about losing Zeke but would of liked a bigger sample size on him. It's more of a timing thing for me as this existing team could use more net front presence. Next year could of been a tough spot for him if he wasn't improving so I guess cut the ties now. But PDG......?

We must have tried to trade Zykov prior to the waiver without success.  Otherwise why did we bring him up from Charlotte, make him a healthy scratch, and them waiver him. With regard to trades in the past; check out the all-time trades list and see that the Canes had a history of making great trades for years. JR fleeced quite a few GM's along the way, and brought in some of the best players in Canes history; ( Keith Primeau for RB) as an example. Trading for Mark Recchi, Scott Walker, Joni Pitkanen, Tim Gleason, Kevin Adams, Bret Hedican, Aaron Ward, Justin Williams, Doug Weight, Tuomo Ruutu, etc. But that was a long time ago, and the last significant hockey trade was for Jordan Staal. The RF years did not produce any real hockey deals. But in RF's defense, he was more concerned in building the prospect pool and acquiring draft picks to restock the system that JR had left bare; which he accomplished.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canesfan06 said:

Zykov did not. Headed to Edmonton.

Dumb. I know we have a lot of prospects, but if Zykov was claimed now, he'd probably be claimed after a few more games too. I will recant the dumb thing if a move for a legit forward follows. We should have given Zykov at least one more shot. 

• Like 1