The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

16 minutes ago, AssistantGM said:

therwise why did we bring him up from Charlotte, make him a healthy scratch, and them waiver him

Pretty sure he only went down on a conditioning stint, so we had to call him back up by a certain point regardless. Seems they tried to sneak him back through and it didn't work.

PDG is still here, still doing a great job of doing nothing, and yet Z who has led the AHL in scoring last season and impressed in a 10 game stint in Carolina is now no longer a part of our organization. The lowest part of the whole thing, the dude worked his butt off and earned a 1 way contract and NHL time. They gave him 13 games, shoved in the press box, then sent him down to Charlotte for “conditioning” and then calls him up, sits him healthy again, only to send him through waivers. It seems like they just wanted to get rid of the contract. Which makes no sense, he’s around 600k in salary and has tons of potential. And was a huge part of Charlotte’s PP unit last season. He never got a good shot here this season, he had two games where he was slotted in the top 9, and in one of those games had a beautiful play and screen on a PPG. But RBA doesn’t care about what he did well and was ****** he was too slow on the back-check. I’m starting to legitimately worry about our player management here. Seriously, what was the logic in the final days of Zykov’s time here?

• Like 1

And let me re-iterate. PDG brings nothing to the table. Why is he taking ice time away from guys like Zykov who would benefit from NHL ice time in a bottom-6 role (if in fact RBA’s problem with Z was his defensive ability). What I really don’t like seeing is all this talk about how our forwards need to be defensively responsible. While this is true, our forwards need to be offensively existent as well. Look at our shooting percentage. Worst in the league. And our coaching staff believes the issue is backchecking? What?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Actually it seems like we have been losing on a consistent basis in trades the past 5 - 10 years.

Your comment got me thinking about that.  Here is every trade the Canes have made.

11 minutes ago, OBXer said:

It appears Z had more interest than just the Oil

Hard to see how this was not a dumb move.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

Hard to see how this was not a dumb move.

I don't quite get it either. If there was that much interest you would think some kind of deal would of been better than losing him on waivers. There must be something more to this. Clearing roster spot, clearing contract space. I don't know.

I wonder if the plan is to bring Necas back up as a winger and we were willing to risk losing Z to do that.

28 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Bean sent back down. Fleury & Pesce reactivated 

Good for Bean to see some NHL. But now we will get some goals from Fleury and Pes....oh wait.

But seriously, we are better with those two in there. Oh and now Pesce can go to Toronto. 

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

I don't quite get it either. If there was that much interest you would think some kind of deal would of been better than losing him on waivers. There must be something more to this. Clearing roster spot, clearing contract space. I don't know.

seems like there is never something more to a move we make.  we just make dumb moves.  Our committee gives away our best player this summer  than runs and hides not to be heard from again since.   Than gives away Zykov.  I not much of a conspiracy theorist but it almost seems like purposeful sabotage for our commitee's best interest.  Probably not but wth are these guys doing? 

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Was quoting your McKenzie quote, but it didn't make it in the box.

But he used three "highly"'s in front of unlikely he'd be traded. Seems that Toronto is going hard ball. Sign or sit. They can always trade him in the offseason. 

All I can say is: "So you're saying there's a chance."

That and:

:kleenex:

1 hour ago, cclifford10 said:

Charlotte is a really good AHL team.  Kuok is leading them in goals, assists, points, and +/- among forwards.  It's probably time to bring him up and see what he can do.

Probably trying to limit the number of young guys on the roster.  Kuokkanen would be a great LW with Staal and Svechnikov. Two assumptions: Rask is the shutdown line & they plan on gaining another year of Necas by leaving him in Charlotte.

A giant Booooooooo! Leaving Darling in Charlotte and sending Booth to Reading Royals. I guess Reading is needing goalies, they’ve had a bunch of injuries.  

Edited by gocanes0506

I'm gonna float a theory. Not saying it happened, or will. But it would explain a couple of things.

Pesce is not hurt. We offered him for Nylander, Toronto accepted (on the condition they couldn't re-sign Nylander themselves) and we agreed to put Brett on IR so as not to risk injury, should TOR fail to sign Nylander. 

This would make a lot of sense if the reports that Nylander's agent contacted us are true. It would make even more sense if we're willing to best the $6.6M x 6 reportedly on the table for him in TOR.

And it would certainly explain why TD's Twitter feed has been quiet for the past week.

Again, not holding my breath. But we've moved some salary out of our cap, too...

7 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'm gonna float a theory. Not saying it happened, or will. But it would explain a couple of things.

Pesce is not hurt. We offered him for Nylander, Toronto accepted (on the condition they couldn't re-sign Nylander themselves) and we agreed to put Brett on IR so as not to risk injury, should TOR fail to sign Nylander. 

This would make a lot of sense if the reports that Nylander's agent contacted us are true. It would make even more sense if we're willing to best the $6.6M x 6 reportedly on the table for him in TOR.

And it would certainly explain why TD's Twitter feed has been quiet for the past week.

Again, not holding my breath. But we've moved some salary out of our cap, too...

top, your theory, and my own sister's that Georgia will best Alabama today are comparable and I'd love you both if they materialize?

• Like 1