The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

1 hour ago, spyglass88 said:

Two questions. First, what potential trades may be out there right now? Who should we trade Faulk or Pesce or whoever for? We (including me) keep calling for something to be done now, but who's out there that we realistically might be able to acquire in the short term to help solve our lack of offense? Name some names. Second, assuming we can acquire that person, what should the lines look like?

Spyglass put my thoughts in words here, thank you. For me, the bolded part is important, but puzzling. I keep hearing that we have great assets in D, defensemen always in demand, etc. However, I don't see/hear any rumors that other teams line up to get one (except Toronto's Plan B in Nylander saga). Question to those who know the situation better: Assuming that we have desire/assets to make a trade, what are the reasons of no movement? Is there no market for offense? Too early? Please share

1 minute ago, Caniac514 said:

Assuming that we have desire/assets to make a trade, what are the reasons of no movement? Is there no market for offense? Too early?

I think it might be too early for a major trade. We are seeing some smaller moves around the league.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OBXer said:

it might be too early for a major trade

So it's up to the guys to hang on?! Ugh...

Good things that goaltending and defense is good, O keeps creating chances and team morale doesn't going down...

It is very hard to anticipate future trades. However Arizona just picked up Nick Schmaltz and he has started out very hot for them. At one point we were rumored to be looking at him. I don’t know if we could have found a deal for him, but it does show that deals are out there even if they’re hard to find. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Caniac514 said:

So it's up to the guys to hang on?! Ugh...

Good things that goaltending and defense is good, O keeps creating chances and team morale doesn't going down...

I think if there is a deal we will try and make it. If not yeah it's hang on and try and extend a point streak if possible. The entire team is cold right now. You would think a couple of them would begin to find the net. TT where are you?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I think it might be too early for a major trade. We are seeing some smaller moves around the league.

Correct me if you're wrong, but I think you're saying that a fair major trade may not be available so soon, not that it's too soon for the Canes to consider one?

• Like 1

The prime candidate for a major trade is Ottawa and they will keep Duchene and Stone until their last game before the deadline. They have to maximize their point potential to prevent total embarrassment.

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Correct me if you're wrong.....

I need to start using this line. Brilliant! Did Yogi Berra say that? Sounds like him.

Actually I'm going to start saying "Correct you if I'm wrong." I like the ring of that better.

I keed Lake.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

Just wonder, Top, what lineup could be with the current roster (without Ferland): Svech+Rask and who?, as well as with Ferland back?

Svech and Aho seem to have chemistry.  Put them together and go get them a RW (Stone).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

.. go get them a RW (Stone).

Stone was #35 of all players in points for the past 4 years, with the exact same points per game (.89) as Jack Eichel. He would be a huge get.

1 minute ago, remkin said:

Stone was #35 of all players in points for the past 4 years, with the exact same points per game (.89) as Jack Eichel. He would be a huge get.

We could take the Ryan contract off their hands to sweeten the deal.  We have plenty of cap space and he is still an effective RW.

Svech / Aho / Stone

Turbo / Rask / Ryan

Ferland / Staal / Williams

Foegele / Wallmark / Martinook

13th - PDG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cclifford10 said:

I wonder if Kapanen might be available?

Love this. Yes yes yes. Or better yet Marner. They can't possibly keep all these guys. Can they??

2 hours ago, remkin said:

I need to start using this line. Brilliant! Did Yogi Berra say that? Sounds like him.

Actually I'm going to start saying "Correct you if I'm wrong." I like the ring of that better.

I keed Lake.

Maybe Casey Stengel? 

That's funny, glad you pointed it out, lol.  Something interesting must have popped up on tv while I was in the midst of composing that sentence.  Instead of correcting it I think I'll leave it up for entertainment purposes, :lol: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cclifford10 said:

We could take the Ryan contract off their hands to sweeten the deal.  We have plenty of cap space and he is still an effective RW.

Svech / Aho / Stone

Turbo / Rask / Ryan

Ferland / Staal / Williams

Foegele / Wallmark / Martinook

13th - PDG

Svech and Stone are both RWs. Ferland would be wasted on Staal's line. 

Turbo–Aho–Stone

Ferland–Rask–Svech

McGinn–Staal–Williams

Foegele–Wallmark–Martinook

5 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Correct me if you're wrong, but I think you're saying that a fair major trade may not be available so soon, not that it's too soon for the Canes to consider one?

What he said.

3 hours ago, spyglass88 said:

Svech and Stone are both RWs. Ferland would be wasted on Staal's line. 

Turbo–Aho–Stone

Ferland–Rask–Svech

McGinn–Staal–Williams

Foegele–Wallmark–Martinook

Svech is left handed and has been playing his natural side for quite awhile now. His move to LW coincides with his improved play.

Ferland with Staal would be VERY tough to play against!!

17 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

Just wonder, Top, what lineup could be with the current roster (without Ferland): Svech+Rask and who?, as well as with Ferland back?

I would put Svech with Aho and TT until Ferland is back. He plays the same heavy, power-move type game. When Micheal returns, I'd put Svech with Jordan/Rask (if Jordan is out long term) and Foegele. Although I have to say, Foegele has been so invisible since the first couple of weeks that moving him down and Martinook up is tempting.

• Like 1

I agree with Top here.  Slide Svech with the Finns.  Take Martinook out of the worrying about getting Svech chances role. Put McGinn with Martinook and tell them to hit anything that has the puck.  The lack of physicality is very concerning.  

• Like 2

They can keep shuffling the lines all they want. The scoring just isn’t there. Doesn’t matter who plays with who.  They need some help immediately.  If they don’t make a trade, then get some new checkers up here to try and help. Do something before it’s too late and the season sinks away.

I mean, I like Foegle, but how many points does he have over the last 20 games?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iceman11 said:

They can keep shuffling the lines all they want. The scoring just isn’t there. Doesn’t matter who plays with who.  They need some help immediately.  If they don’t make a trade, then get some new checkers up here to try and help. Do something before it’s too late and the season sinks away.

I mean, I like Foegle, but how many points does he have over the last 20 games?

Until we make a trade, we must get some scoring out of at least one line. Yes, make a trade—but it's time to put our best scoring combination together and move Svech to the line with Aho and TT.  

42 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

Until we make a trade, we must get some scoring out of at least one line. Yes, make a trade—but it's time to put our best scoring combination together and move Svech to the line with Aho and TT.  

This, but i want 2 lines.  Put our best scorers on the top 2 lines and tell them to score.  I don't give a crap about 'balanced' lines being 'defensively-sound' - that's what defensemen are for.  Staal can only score in his own net - put him in a position where he can't handicap our best scorers.  Trade him and a defenseman if we have to for a scoring center or bring up Kuok or whoever can actually put the puck in the net now and then, but two scoring lines would be spiffy.  And while we're moving Svech up to the top 2 lines, Martinook's a better scorer than most of who we've had up there as well, at least until Ferland returns.  I'd gladly take my chances at this point with Svech-Aho-TT and Ferland (when he returns)-Kuok-Martinook - couldn't make our scoring any worse than it already is.  Where'd that Skinner boy go?  Oh yeah...

• Like 1

Watching last nights game has me in a foul mood so I'm going to be a bit blunt, mean, and probably over reactive.

If you're going to be good, be good, make an effort to get better. If you are going to be bad (which I think we are horrible by the results I've see lately, and I think the sample set is large enough now to make that call) just be freakin' bad, and get on with it for crying out loud. Contender or Pretender? This team is a pretender. It's D-O-N-E. I'm throwing it out....I'm sure Staal has some value. Move him. I'm sure uncle Jimmy would salivate at the chance to get him back. I've said this before and I'll say it again. The guy is a "Luxury" third liner and still have some value, and would be a great piece for a Contender ready to take it all the way. He's not the kind of player we need, or really IMO they type of player you build a team around. We need to worry more about getting legit top liners and worry less about grinding out possession stats and trying to eek out games. I know I know...."Oh did you see us when we had to play without him last year??" Yea....it couldnt be much worse than this, and even if it is, so what. You likely improve your draft position. Pretender. This team has officially worn me down. They're not making a run at anything. 

Edited by sleekfeeder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sleekfeeder said:

This team has officially worn me down.

Sorry for being negative, I am drifting at that direction, too... And under "team' I understood the whole organization, not just roster players. Mr. Waddell and Mr. Dundon - where are you? Tell us something... Anything!

• Like 1

Hate to say it.  But aside from after our surprise ECF visit, this is like the 9th year in a row that the team has banked its season on "If this happens and if that happens and we only need x amount of goals from player x."  The off season discussion around this topic or topics has been consistent and the team's plan around what was just posted has also been consistent.  With that comes consistent results of consistently missing the playoffs in a league where over half the teams make it in.  Usually a franchise would learn its lesson on the 2nd or 3rd try of this strategy.  But this team has managed to do it for 9 to 10 straight years albeit under different GMs/Owners.  This has been a very stupid move and the worst part about all of this is that stupid simply cannot be fixed.

So, just read that Staal not at practice today. Guess that will prove to several naysayers how valuable he is if he's not able to go tomorrow? Anyone know how he was hurt?