The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

So, just read that Staal not at practice today. Guess that will prove to several naysayers how valuable he is if he's not able to go tomorrow? Anyone know how he was hurt?

Game yesterday. Lower body injury 

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

So, just read that Staal not at practice today. Guess that will prove to several naysayers how valuable he is if he's not able to go tomorrow? Anyone know how he was hurt?

Not saying he's not valuable. I know he is. Just saying he's not the kind of value we need.

There is a night-and-day difference between Staal's contributions this year and last. He has been absolutely invisible, save for that own goal he "scored" last night. Still great at the dot, still able to possess the puck, sure. But at some point even your D-first center has to emulate the blind squirrel, and find a nut now and then. 11 points and -7 in 27 games? AYFKM?? That's a 33-point pace.

• Like 1

Maenalanen, who played alongside current Canes Sebastian Aho and Teuvo Teravainen at the 2018 World Championships, finished last season tied for 11th in scoring in Finland’s Liiga with a career-best 46 points.

I kind of figured that was the reason he'd been signed in the first place - the apparent chemistry with Aho and TT.  Can't hurt a thing to try it, but Svech and Martinook still need to be brought up the the second line with, uh, who's our 2nd line center now?  Cripes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

There is a night-and-day difference between Staal's contributions this year and last. He has been absolutely invisible, save for that own goal he "scored" last night. Still great at the dot, still able to possess the puck, sure. But at some point even your D-first center has to emulate the blind squirrel, and find a nut now and then. 11 points and -7 in 27 games? AYFKM?? That's a 33-point pace.

If and when it is truly evident (and it’s getting close) that this season is lost, I would not be opposed to moving Jordan for the right return. Hang onto our young D, but Hamilton and Faulk might also fetch something. Follow Toronto’s and Buffalo’s lead. Play young guys and play hard, but stop this cycle of finishing 18th or 20th every year. Draft high enough to get real difference makers to go with Svech, Aho, TT, Necas and our young D. With what we already have in the pipeline, if we can just find an NHL caliber goalie, we could be competitive again in 2 years probably. Spend some money to upgrade management and coaching as well.

Back to Jordan, though. He is great at what he does, but he will never score or drive offense like Eric did when he was at his best. I wouldn’t be surprised in the right situation if he didn’t score 15-20 goals and 50+ points. Look who he has played with this year. Foegle, who was on fire for 5 games, then disappeared offensively, and JWilly, who is close to his use by date, and not the offensive player he once was. We are going to miss Jordan badly while he is out with the concussion, but if our brain trust can’t get at least one, and probably two real NHL top six forwards in a hurry, I don’t see us hanging in for very long. 

• Like 3

I know Maenalanen is a fellow Finn, is older and probably more physical, but I'm not sure why we don't take this loss of a center to take a look at another center, also a fellow Finn, but one who actually could create some offense: Janne Kuokkanen. Maybe they will after the road trip.

Maenalenen has 4G in 23 games, .48 ppg and is last on the team at -7. 

Kuokkanen has 9G in 24 games, .96 ppg. (and +3). 

We could use some offense I would say.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I have to say, top, that I'm starting to get this feeling also. I keep trying to convince myself that the again dismal look at a season fading away taints my vision, and recalling the elation I felt many moons ago when it was announced that "We Made A Trade" for Eric's brother sacrificing our 1st round pick + Doumoulin,it pains me to think that maybe trading Jordan is the best thing at present? The anticipation of the 1/2 punch of the Staals at center seemed at the time to be a magical ride in the making, but this never materialized. How did it go so wrong?

Again this team is wallowing in mediocracy without, it seems, a clue as to how to right the ship. The "committee" decision at present seems to be following the path of previous GMs of nibbling around the edges for whatever reasons, and is failing to make substantial gains? Meanwhile our owner incites hopes that changes are coming, but it appears that he has focused his sights on  the trappings, including an outdoor game, rather than the main course?

And so we move on, our hoped for savior, HCRB, eventually parroting the same old tune as past HCs, literally Fiddling while Rome is burning, and the season at the quarter mark looks eerily similar to those of nine years past? Our hopes bolstered by the beginning of the season successes, now dim and relief not in sight. Well, maybe the hockey gods can smile on us for a 2nd year in a row, and we might get a chance at Hughes, but I somehow doubt that? But as a loyal fan, I'll continue my 70+ mile trip to Raleigh for as many home games as are left, and tune in to away games no matter how late, because in the end, I am a fan. 

• Like 2

I have to say, top, that I'm starting to get this feeling also. I keep trying to convince myself that the again dismal look at a season fading away taints my vision, and recalling the elation I felt many moons ago when it was announced that "We Made A Trade" for Eric's brother sacrificing our 1st round pick + Doumoulin,it pains me to think that maybe trading Jordan is the best thing at present? The anticipation of the 1/2 punch of the Staals at center seemed at the time to be a magical ride in the making, but this never materialized. How did it go so wrong?

Again this team is wallowing in mediocracy without, it seems, a clue as to how to right the ship. The "committee" decision at present seems to be following the path of previous GMs of nibbling around the edges for whatever reasons, and is failing to make substantial gains? Meanwhile our owner incites hopes that changes are coming, but it appears that he has focused his sights on  the trappings, including an outdoor game, rather than the main course?

And so we move on, our hoped for savior, HCRB, eventually parroting the same old tune as past HCs, literally Fiddling while Rome is burning, and the season at the quarter mark looks eerily similar to those of nine years past? Our hopes bolstered by the beginning of the season successes, now dim and relief not in sight. Well, maybe the hockey gods can smile on us for a 2nd year in a row, and we might get a chance at Hughes, but I somehow doubt that? But as a loyal fan, I'll continue my 70+ mile trip to Raleigh for as many home games as are left, and tune in to away games no matter how late, because in the end, I am a fan. 

Justin William's and McGinn.   I know why Staal's production is low.  Look at his elite and old wingers. 

Edited by bluedevil58

Calling up the 11th ranked point getter in Charlotte over several better options seems like a glimpse into what the committee thinks of this season.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

If and when it is truly evident (and it’s getting close) that this season is lost, I would not be opposed to moving Jordan for the right return. Hang onto our young D, but Hamilton and Faulk might also fetch something. Follow Toronto’s and Buffalo’s lead. Play young guys and play hard, but stop this cycle of finishing 18th or 20th every year. Draft high enough to get real difference makers to go with Svech, Aho, TT, Necas and our young D. With what we already have in the pipeline, if we can just find an NHL caliber goalie, we could be competitive again in 2 years probably. Spend some money to upgrade management and coaching as well.

Back to Jordan, though. He is great at what he does, but he will never score or drive offense like Eric did when he was at his best. I wouldn’t be surprised in the right situation if he didn’t score 15-20 goals and 50+ points. Look who he has played with this year. Foegle, who was on fire for 5 games, then disappeared offensively, and JWilly, who is close to his use by date, and not the offensive player he once was. We are going to miss Jordan badly while he is out with the concussion, but if our brain trust can’t get at least one, and probably two real NHL top six forwards in a hurry, I don’t see us hanging in for very long. 

I've been (unpopularly here, of course) calling for us to move Jordan for a return while we could still get one since summer a year ago. I've never disputed that he is very good at what he does, but he's been redundant since we signed Rask. It's been fortuitous that we've had him in view of Rask's string of injuries, but Victor can do everything Jordan does at $2 million less a year--and has a scoring touch. What are the odds of moving Jordan's contract now? A guy who just turned 30 coming off a concussion, who wasn't playing all that great before it happened.

This organization no longer has issues with talent, thanks largely to RF. But its issues with managing talent, and its total inability apply any ration of foresight--other than unrealistic hope--for what that talent might contribute and how soon, remain, and have arguably gotten much, much worse, as evidenced by recent moves, most notably that which we are admonished against mentioning outside its "dedicated" thread.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 3