The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

27 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

most notably that which we are admonished against mentioning outside its "dedicated" thread.

And since we've not (yet) been saddled with a similarly arbitrary rule about another stellar move, check out the first pic in the Flames' front-page slide show this morning. He looks familiar, doesn't he...

11 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

If and when it is truly evident (and it’s getting close) that this season is lost, I would not be opposed to moving Jordan for the right return. Hang onto our young D, but Hamilton and Faulk might also fetch something. Follow Toronto’s and Buffalo’s lead. Play young guys and play hard, but stop this cycle of finishing 18th or 20th every year. Draft high enough to get real difference makers to go with Svech, Aho, TT, Necas and our young D. With what we already have in the pipeline, if we can just find an NHL caliber goalie, we could be competitive again in 2 years probably. Spend some money to upgrade management and coaching as well.

Back to Jordan, though. He is great at what he does, but he will never score or drive offense like Eric did when he was at his best. I wouldn’t be surprised in the right situation if he didn’t score 15-20 goals and 50+ points. Look who he has played with this year. Foegle, who was on fire for 5 games, then disappeared offensively, and JWilly, who is close to his use by date, and not the offensive player he once was. We are going to miss Jordan badly while he is out with the concussion, but if our brain trust can’t get at least one, and probably two real NHL top six forwards in a hurry, I don’t see us hanging in for very long. 

Unfortunately this team almost seems too broken to fix this year.  Like a dike about to burst there are more holes than can be plugged.  They are probably the weakest team down the middle in the NHL, have only one or two real scorers on the wings (probably being generous), and PP is beyond terrible.  At some point it just becomes evident you get what you pay for..  Despite the promises TD made, the Canes once again are going to be a low payroll bottom feeder playing in front of a mostly empty arena (well I guess they already are). 

I started this year thinking maybe it would be different.  Went to a few games early on hoping they would give me a reason to invest in a mini-pack, but here we are in early December once again realizing our season is most always over by Thanksgiving. 

Raleigh.....where hockey comes to die......

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

And since we've not (yet) been saddled with a similarly arbitrary rule about another stellar move, check out the first pic in the Flames' front-page slide show this morning. He looks familiar, doesn't he...

I saw it first thing this morning and cringed.. B.Peters, Lindholm, Skinner must be trading emails of joy as we are once again the step child of managing talent.. Im starting to think the worst move we made, was not getting a seasoned NHL coaching staff...

5 minutes ago, PamlicoPuck said:

I saw it first thing this morning and cringed.. B.Peters, Lindholm, Skinner must be trading emails of joy as we are once again the step child of managing talent.. Im starting to think the worst move we made, was not getting a seasoned NHL coaching staff...

No, the worst was getting an owner who thinks he's a GM.

TSN

Dreger: Anaheim has been scouting teams like the Montreal Canadiens and Carolina Hurricanes. I wouldn't say that there's a connection there yet, but Anaheim is pretty specific with what they need. Worst-case scenario, they're looking for a third-pairing guy with a left shot.

Fluery?

Maybe if Francis has one more year to execute his plan, the Canes would’ve been better off.  Maybe all the young players really just need 1 more year of development.  If he was able to find a goalie, the team may have been better just tweaking than making the major overhaul trades which were made

• Like 1

Fleury is a good player who just needs to play.   He doesn’t belong on the press box.  Which is one reason a d-man should’ve been moved in the offseason.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iceman11 said:

Fleury is a good player who just needs to play.   He doesn’t belong on the press box.  Which is one reason a d-man should’ve been moved in the offseason.  

Unfortunately, nobody wanted our "All Star"--unless it was Hanifin...

4 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

He's better than good. The fact that he is sitting is a crime, pure and simple. 

1 minute ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Unfortunately, nobody wanted our "All Star"--unless it was Hanifin...

And then we replaced him with Hamilton, giving nobody room to move up.  As happy as i am to have Ferland and to have lost Hanifin, i wonder if a straight-up trade of the two was ever on the table - i'd way rather have Lindholm than Hamilton.  Doubt it was, though.

To see the numbers that Lindholm and Skinner are putting up as says a lot about the Canes.  (It is crazy that they couldn’t do that here or even come close) There are some serious issues with this organization.  

I hope that TD now realizes that sometimes you have to pay up for talent.  Both front office and on the ice.  I know he was looking to squeeze some value from some distressed assets or undervalued assets. But sometimes you get what you pay for...

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I personally don't care who we speak of here.  Actually, I think it is the place to discuss anything about the current season, including former players. 

I get cranky about some random Game Day Thread about a team not involved with previous players, and then ******* and moaning occurs about the Skinner or Lindholm trade.

But you guys do what you want.  It is a mostly free internet.  :)

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

lol, it's a special talent.

Well, considering we have screwed that up in the past [on several occasions] while other teams (cough Toronto, Buffalo) have embraced the reality then I can confidently say there IS a right and wrong way to go about this.

And hey, we still have Darling

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

No, the worst was getting an owner who thinks he's a GM.

I wont argue that. We have a long history of not developing players that goes beyond T.D.

31 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

To see the numbers that Lindholm and Skinner are putting up as says a lot about the Canes.  (It is crazy that they couldn’t do that here or even come close) There are some serious issues with this organization.  

I hope that TD now realizes that sometimes you have to pay up for talent.  Both front office and on the ice.  I know he was looking to squeeze some value from some distressed assets or undervalued assets. But sometimes you get what you pay for...

Yes.  As others have said, money, and how it is used, matters.

One man among pylons does not make a team.

13 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Well we know how they feel about Darling. Ned is recalled. Helvig called up to Charlotte. Not good that Ned had to be called up though.

Pretty sure Darling is dead to us. Now if we start to entertain going for Jack Hughes, he could be brought back then. That might be the plan...of course when we think we might want to go that way, he'll probably roll off 6 shutouts in a row. 

Unfortunately, not sold on Ned. His save percentage has been on the decline as this year has gone on. As much as I drone on about finding that elusive D for O trade, it's probably worth noting that, at least during my fandom, the team has not really ever developed a top half NHL goalie (Cam being debatable I guess). We took Ned high in the second round, which is pretty lofty for goalies. Fun fact, Cam was taken #25 overall, Ned was taken #37 overall. 

There is still time for a bunch of recent goalie's we've drafted, but as for now on that issue, as others.......we wait.

As the season unwinds  I guess I have to be that constant reminder  when I come to these boards  .  I was right ,and  you were wrong .      Losing Ferland  does not help  for the time being but things that were done that can't be undone such as ,  Trading Skinner away because reasons  , or  my favorite  all time saying to me about Lindholm and Hanifin  was .   We need Hamilton now  because Hanifin is not yet ready .   Their is a term for people who put on rose covered glasses  and  pretend things being perceived in a another fashion  , It's Called Cognitive Dissonance .   People who suffer from this  never want to look at reality for what it is and be good little sheeple   and  just go with the narrative that has been presented to them  . There is also another term for that  belief  and it's called Stat-ism   .    

Did carolina need a culture change ,  or did they need just 1 of 2 things without sacrificing  everything  ?   

22 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Well, considering we have screwed that up in the past [on several occasions] while other teams (cough Toronto, Buffalo) have embraced the reality then I can confidently say there IS a right and wrong way to go about this.

And hey, we still have Darling

years ago Niclas Wallin was the secret weapon, Now it is Scott Darling.

32 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

As the season unwinds  I guess I have to be that constant reminder  when I come to these boards  .  I was right ,and  you were wrong .      Losing Ferland  does not help  for the time being but things that were done that can't be undone such as ,  Trading Skinner away because reasons  , or  my favorite  all time saying to me about Lindholm and Hanifin  was .   We need Hamilton now  because Hanifin is not yet ready .   Their is a term for people who put on rose covered glasses  and  pretend things being perceived in a another fashion  , It's Called Cognitive Dissonance .   People who suffer from this  never want to look at reality for what it is and be good little sheeple   and  just go with the narrative that has been presented to them  . There is also another term for that  belief  and it's called Stat-ism   .    

Did carolina need a culture change ,  or did they need just 1 of 2 things without sacrificing  everything  ?   

You make these I am right and you are wrong claims and yet you just came to the boards this season.

41 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

As the season unwinds  I guess I have to be that constant reminder  when I come to these boards  .  I was right ,and  you were wrong

You're such a Dudeman.  All hail...

• Like 1