The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

7 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

We had to get rid of Skinner because of his effect on the guys in the room? What about Darling’s effect on them? 

Good point.

7 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I can't imagine it's anything more than the fact Mac is out and we'd rather have Darling riding the pine here than taking time away from Ned in Charlotte.

Yup.  Now if they give him a start, well.....:letssee:

Edited by coastal_caniac

51 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Our “committee” continues to baffle me. I can’t discuss Skinner in this thread, but giving Away Zykov and now bringing back Darling after he just got lit up in a Checkers game makes no sense. We had to get rid of Skinner because of his effect on the guys in the room? What about Darling’s effect on them? 

Makes sense if McElhinney's injury is very short term and they're just looking for a backup.  Seems better to have Ned playing in Charlotte and Darling sitting out opening the door for a game or two than the other way around.  Plus, this way they're not playing Ned an NHL salary to sit. Now, if that's not the case?  :huh: 

edit: realm beat me to it.

Edited by LakeLivin

15 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Yup.  Now if they give him a start, well.....:letssee:

Then I’m done...after 30+ years I would be done. Darling should never play for the Canes again.

Good point above, just having Darling around would stink of losing. 

Maybe Darling’s new nickname could be Linus. 

🤧

• Like 1

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/hurricanes-curtis-mcelhinney-lands-on-ir/

So I'm sure I missed this, but McElhinney just put on IR, lower body. OK I guess it makes sense. Aren't waivers for a while (lasts for a while)? I mean we can't keep putting Mongo on waivers hoping someone will take him can we? 

I don't really think Ned is ready, so I guess this makes sense. But watch Mongo get in there and go lights out and leave us trying him some more. We've got 3 games in 4 nights (how does this keep happening with all of the days off we have?) so there is almost no way he doesn't get at least one start.

4 hours ago, remkin said:

But watch Mongo get in there and go lights out and leave us trying him some more.

Well, that would be something, wouldn't it... hold a guy accountable and he responds. Last time that happened he had back-to-back career years--so we rewarded him by burying him on the third line for year. Then traded him for an aardvark, a bit of string, and an ice cream sandwich.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hockeybaby said:

I hope Darling is not MAD. It's a bit like being fired from your job at the store, and then called to come in cos the other guy called in sick. 😲

He's got four million reasons a year to be freakin' ecstatic, every day of his life.

16 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I bet Zona packs in a goes for a good pick.  

Well, Darling could sure help them out with that.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

He's got four million reasons a year to be freakin' ecstatic, every day of his life.

Well, Darling could sure help them out with that.

Doubt they would take on his salary. They don’t like to spend money.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Doubt they would take on his salary. They don’t like to spend money.

With what we're saving on the goaltending payroll we could retain half his salary and still make out like bandits. And if they're serious about losing now, getting Darling pretty much ensures their success.

• Like 1

I'm just curious if we're backtracking on extending Aho for some reason, because the last thing I read on Nov. 4 or so made me believe we'll just give it a try and see what happens. Well, nothing's happened. 

SURELY not another Skinner situation brewing in the coming years. Right?

Right?

16 minutes ago, BoDarville said:

I'm just curious if we're backtracking on extending Aho for some reason, because the last thing I read on Nov. 4 or so made me believe we'll just give it a try and see what happens. Well, nothing's happened. 

Right?

Let’s back off the ledge.  I get the anti TD crowd has come out in droves since we haven’t improved drastically in one offseason but, TD has made the statements to say Aho will be here.  Also it is in Aho’s best insterest to wait to sign.  At worst he is looking at a 6 x 7 million deal if he makes 60 points this season, using Nylander as his comp. If he gets it to 80+, he can use draisaitl as his comp 8 x 8.5 deal).  Better for him.

Its in our best interest to wait for the offseason to re-sign Turbo. We need more evidence to decide what to offer him.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BoDarville said:

Right?

I don't share gocanes rosy outlook, for I have zero reason to. If Aho wanted to wait for a bigger return, I'm pretty sure his own agent would not have trumpeted the fact that negotiations had begun--before the season started.

TD said a lot of things when he took over, none of which has yet come to pass. If applying the evidence we've thus far been given in deciding what we might reasonably expect makes me a ledge-dweller, so be it. Until TD ponies up and pulls me back inside, I'm quite comfortable here, thanks very much.

Put up or shut up, Tom. There's 30 other teams in this league, and your inaction - coupled with the boneheadedness of what actions you have taken - are ample grounds for pause at least, and for shopping for a new team to give a *edit* about - should your bluster prove to be just that - at worst.  

Edited by top-shelf-1

Hurricanes still looking for scoring

TSN: The Carolina Hurricanes are still looking for some scoring help up front according to Pierre LeBrun.

“Whether there’s a fit with Anaheim or not, the Hurricanes – which really wanted William Nylander but never really got that shot – want a top-6 forward ASAP and they’ve got the surplus on defence to make it happen.”

Add in the loss of Jordan, and the quote (it's out there somewhere) that Waddell has been working the phones, and hope continues that something can be done.

I initially lifted a quote that we were looking from a SB Nation Rangers Article targeting Pesce or Slavin, (but the found the better source in LaBrun). The article from SB Nation refuses to speculate who they'd give up, so from an actual trade perspective it's useless, but there are some very interesting charts comparing Slavin and Pesce from year to year:

Really not sure what Rangers forward we'd want outside of pick Lias Anderson, who they'd never trade, but anyways, trade banter on us is out there.

15 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Well, that would be something, wouldn't it... hold a guy accountable and he responds. Last time that happened he had back-to-back career years--so we rewarded him by burying him on the third line for year. Then traded him for an aardvark, a bit of string, and an ice cream sandwich.

But his +/- could be better. Only 3rd in the league as of about 4 days ago. 

244F495F-3252-467F-A3EA-E32EC744D2CF.jpeg