The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

Many on this thread wonder why we don't go out and get a true #1 Goaltender. First, rarely are they available in a trade, unless they are pending UFA's. And it has been reported that Sergey Bobrosky will be looking for 10M+ for at least 5 years when he leaves CLB. That's a lot of $$. It will be interesting to see how many teams can stomach that number. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BoDarville said:

I'm just curious if we're backtracking on extending Aho for some reason, because the last thing I read on Nov. 4 or so made me believe we'll just give it a try and see what happens. Well, nothing's happened. 

SURELY not another Skinner situation brewing in the coming years. Right?

Right?

Pu's cousin Pepe from LA.

Edited by slapshot02

1 hour ago, AssistantGM said:

Many on this thread wonder why we don't go out and get a true #1 Goaltender. First, rarely are they available in a trade, unless they are pending UFA's. And it has been reported that Sergey Bobrosky will be looking for 10M+ for at least 5 years when he leaves CLB. That's a lot of $$. It will be interesting to see how many teams can stomach that number. 

Just ask Montreal.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2018 at 6:02 PM, remkin said:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/hurricanes-curtis-mcelhinney-lands-on-ir/

So I'm sure I missed this, but McElhinney just put on IR, lower body. OK I guess it makes sense. Aren't waivers for a while (lasts for a while)? I mean we can't keep putting Mongo on waivers hoping someone will take him can we? 

I don't really think Ned is ready, so I guess this makes sense. But watch Mongo get in there and go lights out and leave us trying him some more. We've got 3 games in 4 nights (how does this keep happening with all of the days off we have?) so there is almost no way he doesn't get at least one start.

Please don’t let him start Sunday against Arizona. My first game at PNC this year. I’d like to see a win.

Raanta sustained possibly a season ending injury. And though Arizona GM said that they do not plan to go to the market for goalie and will use their 3 available goalies maybe we can trade Darling to them retaining some of salary 

I would be happy if BOB came here for 9m.  9m for a Vezina goalie is money well spent.  I've been happy with Mzarek and Mcbackuo though.  Will they continue to be able to perform?  Are they a product of an elite blue line?  To be continued...  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I would be happy if BOB came here for 9m.  9m for a Vezina goalie is money well spent.  I've been happy with Mzarek and Mcbackuo though.  Will they continue to be able to perform?  Are they a product of an elite blue line?  To be continued...  

Does it matter if they are getting wins due in part to the defense? If you have goalies that can operate in tandem with the D you get wins. I dont rightly care who is the most responsible as long as the W's come.

Regardless they both have made huge, timely saves this season. Here's to it continuing 

Edited by Derailed75
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

Does it matter if they are getting wins due in part to the defense? If you have goalies that can operate in tandem with the D you get wins. I dont rightly care who is the most responsible as long as the W's come.

Regardless they both have made huge, timely saves this season. Here's to it continuing 

This.  Magic beans and whatever for some teams, but only 2 teams in the NHL have allowed fewer goals than the Hurricanes so far this season - whether that's because of the tenders themselves or the defense in front of them, i'll take that every day of the week.  The problem is that only 1 team has scored fewer than the Canes, so i'm going to continue pointing to that rather than any potential liabilities on the part of our top 2 goaltenders.

Which is why I will say again. Not knowing contract issues like who would want to stay at a fair price I think Pesce is our best trade chip and would bring back a great scorer. Slavin is off the table and I think the league as are a few fans here is jaded on Faulk because of his last few seasons. Also the defense actually played better his first few game being out from injury. The time is now Waddle go get us some goals.

19 minutes ago, PamlicoPuck said:

Simple things needed for a trade:  Wonder what is the hold up

a. Trading Partner

b. Spending Money

c. Tradeable player

d. Someone who can broker a deal

that would be d. (and D)

1 hour ago, Derailed75 said:

Which is why I will say again. Not knowing contract issues like who would want to stay at a fair price I think Pesce is our best trade chip and would bring back a great scorer. Slavin is off the table and I think the league as are a few fans here is jaded on Faulk because of his last few seasons. Also the defense actually played better his first few game being out from injury. The time is now Waddle go get us some goals.

Moving Pesce (or Slavin) is unnecessary. Moving Kouk might be. But I'd package him with Faulk - or any TWO of our current roster D the trading partner wants, except them - if it brings back a bonafide scorer.

Seriously, if we can't attract a scorer with pieces like that on the table, the problem is not what we're offering. It's sitting in the C-suite.

I'd move Pesce in a heartbeat, we have Adam Fox to take that spot.  And if you haven't kept up with this kid, Tim Gleason has been traveling to Harvard to attend his games and is evidently been mentoring him as well.  For those with a subscription to The Athletic, Sara Civian has a great article up on Fox.  A few tidbits -

I always knew he was good. He always knew he was good. The Carolina Hurricanes, who are confident they can get their unsigned trade acquisition under contract, always knew he was good. You’re completely mistaken if you think he was an afterthought in the trade of the summer.

Will he be making those plays for the Hurricanes? As an unsigned prospect, he’s aware of the speculation surrounding his future. He’s quick to shut it down.

“I know people think I have some plan to sign with the Rangers because of where I grew up,” the New York native said. “But my dream, my goal, is to play in the NHL. As soon as possible.”

To drive that point home, here’s what we know:

• The Hurricanes are very confident they will sign him, and I’ve heard that was actually a bigger piece of the trade than people might’ve thought.

• If he signs with the Hurricanes he can play immediately, but if he wanted to sign elsewhere he’d have to stay at Harvard for another year and enter free agency.

• ^”My goal is to play in the NHL as soon as possible.”

• It would be straight up rude to the rest of the NCAA if he were to stay at Harvard terrorizing the rest of the league for another season.

• If we want to Galaxy Brain this, Fox seems to really appreciate Gleason and his visits. Knowing a team is willing to invest in you and go that extra mile matters.

• If the Hurricanes can assure him there’s a spot for him when he’s NHL-ready (so, like, yesterday) this shouldn’t be an issue.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I'd move Pesce in a heartbeat, we have Adam Fox to take that spot.  And if you haven't kept up with this kid, Tim Gleason has been traveling to Harvard to attend his games and is evidently been mentoring him as well.  For those with a subscription to The Athletic, Sara Civian has a great article up on Fox.  A few tidbits -

I always knew he was good. He always knew he was good. The Carolina Hurricanes, who are confident they can get their unsigned trade acquisition under contract, always knew he was good. You’re completely mistaken if you think he was an afterthought in the trade of the summer.

Will he be making those plays for the Hurricanes? As an unsigned prospect, he’s aware of the speculation surrounding his future. He’s quick to shut it down.

“I know people think I have some plan to sign with the Rangers because of where I grew up,” the New York native said. “But my dream, my goal, is to play in the NHL. As soon as possible.”

• The Hurricanes are very confident they will sign him, and I’ve heard that was actually a bigger piece of the trade than people might’ve thought.

• If he signs with the Hurricanes he can play immediately, but if he wanted to sign elsewhere he’d have to stay at Harvard for another year and enter free agency.

• It would be straight up rude to the rest of the NCAA if he were to stay at Harvard terrorizing the rest of the league for another season.

• If we want to Galaxy Brain this, Fox seems to really appreciate Gleason and his visits. Knowing a team is willing to invest in you and go that extra mile matters.

• If the Hurricanes can assure him there’s a spot for him when he’s NHL-ready (so, like, yesterday) this shouldn’t be an issue.

...and Gleason can always show him some youtubes of him punching guys in the beak.

"Bad things happen to people that make me mad.  You don't want to make me mad"

Contract signed

Honestly, Pesce is probably the most likely Dman to get traded.  He has a good contract that will be a great trade asset.  He's a legit Dman.  You have to give to get.  Slavin isn't going to go.  He's the cornerstone.  At this point, Faulk probably doesn't have as much trade value as Pesce due to the contract issue. 

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 1

I agree and keep coming back to Pesce. The only thing is that many GM's slobber over offense and Pesce is a pure D man at this point. Also, he's been injured and is not having a great year this year. Ironically, Faulk is, though not in the offensive stats that people are looking at. What's ironic to me is that the ReFaulkassance (TM) that is happening this year 'allows' us to consider moving Pesce.

If Faulk were playing his typical porous D, with the +/- to boot, we'd need to keep a guy on the other end of that spectrum, or to wit, a guy who could play D. But we have 2-3 things at the moment that partly negate that. 1. Faulk is playing effectively on D. 2. We have an abundance of solid D men (see the DeHaan move also). 3. We are getting average to above average goaltending. 

Pesce is actually elite at stopping the other team from scoring. Even this year, not his best, he is #2 on the team in +/-. It goes well beyond that rough measure though. I posted a link to some advanced stats on him, but also I've listened to a few experts describe his shut down game in impressive terms. He's not a guy you'd choose to lose. 

But the old "have to give to get" thing is true, especially if we are trying to "get" something high end. So who else would we 'give'? Faulk. OK, but he has not been enough to date to draw the kind of talent we're looking for. Hanifin? Oh wait. Hamilton? Well maybe, but we just got him, and we're his third team in a short window, that would be cold. On top of that, we clearly have not seen the best of this supposed top 20 D man. If Edmonton wanted to trade us Draisaitl or something like that for Hamilton, I'd do it, but I doubt that type of deal is there. DeHaan, is the LHD Pesce (more valuable than he might look), and he just voluntarily came he as a UFA. Want to never sign another UFA, go ahead and move him. Slavin off the table. Fleury, yes. But the way we scratch him more than a lottery scratch off, I can't imagine his value is that high. TVR? Not enough return. 

Further, since we IMO need to show Fox the door straight to the NHL, we need to move a RHD. Hamilton, Faulk, Pesce, TVR. Really. we not only need to move a RHD, but we need to move two of them (I could still see moving Faulk later, or TVR). 

To me it's Faulk or Pesce, and to me it's all about return. If Faulk gets us a barely top 6 guy, and Pesce gets us an NHL top 30 point getter, I move Pesce. We need high end talent, not more guys in the "mushy middle". At this point it really seems to be Pesce or Slavin that would return that, and I really see Slavin as nearly untouchable. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, remkin said:

I agree and keep coming back to Pesce. The only thing is that many GM's slobber over offense and Pesce is a pure D man at this point. Also, he's been injured and is not having a great year this year. Ironically, Faulk is, though not in the offensive stats that people are looking at. What's ironic to me is that the ReFaulkassance (TM) that is happening this year 'allows' us to consider moving Pesce.

If Faulk were playing his typical porous D, with the +/- to boot, we'd need to keep a guy on the other end of that spectrum, or to wit, a guy who could play D. But we have 2-3 things at the moment that partly negate that. 1. Faulk is playing effectively on D. 2. We have an abundance of solid D men (see the DeHaan move also). 3. We are getting average to above average goaltending. 

Pesce is actually elite at stopping the other team from scoring. Even this year, not his best, he is #2 on the team in +/-. It goes well beyond that rough measure though. I posted a link to some advanced stats on him, but also I've listened to a few experts describe his shut down game in impressive terms. He's not a guy you'd choose to lose. 

But the old "have to give to get" thing is true, especially if we are trying to "get" something high end. So who else would we 'give'? Faulk. OK, but he has not been enough to date to draw the kind of talent we're looking for. Hanifin? Oh wait. Hamilton? Well maybe, but we just got him, and we're his third team in a short window, that would be cold. On top of that, we clearly have not seen the best of this supposed top 20 D man. If Edmonton wanted to trade us Draisaitl or something like that for Hamilton, I'd do it, but I doubt that type of deal is there. DeHaan, is the LHD Pesce (more valuable than he might look), and he just voluntarily came he as a UFA. Want to never sign another UFA, go ahead and move him. Slavin off the table. Fleury, yes. But the way we scratch him more than a lottery scratch off, I can't imagine his value is that high. TVR? Not enough return. 

Further, since we IMO need to show Fox the door straight to the NHL, we need to move a RHD. Hamilton, Faulk, Pesce, TVR. Really. we not only need to move a RHD, but we need to move two of them (I could still see moving Faulk later, or TVR). 

To me it's Faulk or Pesce, and to me it's all about return. If Faulk gets us a barely top 6 guy, and Pesce gets us an NHL top 30 point getter, I move Pesce. We need high end talent, not more guys in the "mushy middle". At this point it really seems to be Pesce or Slavin that would return that, and I really see Slavin as nearly untouchable. 

Completely agree. Move Pesce and bring back some points soon!

If Ecklund is to be believed *insert snarky jokes* Quick is being made available.   Injury prone and on the backside of his career, he's still far better than what we've been used to.  I'd be willing to explore a Faulk for Quick scenario, which could make sense, again if Eck is to be believed, if they also move Doughty.

23 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

This is great news. I'm down with offering Pesce if Fox will sign. It's the "NHL-ready" piece that (thanks to Hanifin) concerns me, but with McKeown and Bean in the system too, we certainly have an embarrassment of riches on the back end.

Edited by top-shelf-1

5 hours ago, PamlicoPuck said:

Simple things needed for a trade:  Wonder what is the hold up

a. Trading Partner

b. Spending Money

c. Tradeable player

d. Someone who can broker a deal

I'm still thinking it's most likely a).   

If we were after a "plug and play" middle 6 forward I'd probably have a different opinion.  But we're after a legit top 6 scorer, and teams don't let those go easily.  Teams that are competitive now are unlikely to let one go for less than an equivalent player coming back (as compared to a lesser player +), which really cuts down the options. 

I think that Faulk's value is at an all time low (lag from past seasons, even though he's played quite well so far this season).  Not sure about the dynamics of trading Dougie, as much from the perspective of how teams would devalue him as a risk if he's traded 3 times in such a short period as the message we'd be sending to potential UFAs.  Which leaves Pesce, and I wonder if other teams value him as much as we do given his lack of offense?  I also wonder if, even though he clearly manages it, the fact that Pesce has asthma might up his "risk" and lower his value in the minds of other teams?  Or if his recent injuries might have teams waiting to see him back for a while to ensure he's good to go for the rest of the season?  Bottom line, I'm guessing when they hear what we want, other teams initial reply is "Slavin", and that's a non starter imo.  

I think the Canes are in a tough position.  We definitely need to avoid the RF factor (inability to pull the trigger).  But a worse outcome imo would be take a significantly substandard return in order to make a deal quickly.  Given our situation I'm willing to slightly "lose" a trade, but we can't let ourselves be reverse "Hall-Larrsoned".

One thing that keeps me from defaulting to b. is that Canes signed the only player I saw worth signing among last year's UFAs, and that's deHaan at $4.5m per.

[as relates to return and $, Skinner is a whole other topic, discussed in detail elsewhere]

18 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

and teams don't let those go easily.

Sure they do.

Sometimes two at a time... oh, wait...

Which is why I chose d. I really believe TD goes, in the end, with RBA, and that the combination of that and his own (CrAzY) belief that you can get elite talent at mid-six prices is why he signed off on letting go of Skinner, Lindholm, and yes--though I was unhappy with his one-step-up, two-steps-back progress here--Noah Hanifin, who has 14 points in 31 games.

Edited by top-shelf-1