The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Sure they do.

Sometimes two at a time... oh, wait...

Which is why I chose d. I really believe TD goes, in the end, with RBA, and that the combination of that and his own (CrAzY) belief that you can get elite talent at mid-six prices is why he signed off on letting go of Skinner, Lindholm, and yes--though I was unhappy with his one-step-up, two-steps-back progress here--Noah Hanifin, who has 14 points in 31 games.

The bigger concern I have is us once again trading away our 1st round selections through the years and not see them properly develop.  Lindy was a big miss and I am sure Hanifin will make us cringe at this trade a year or 2 from now.  Dougie isn't producing here and yet produced on other teams.  That is a sign of the severe lack of talent and coaching that this team has.  Lindy a 40 point player as a Cane.  Traded to Calgary and is on pace for 40 goals and 92 points.  Yeah....

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

The bigger concern I have is us once again trading away our 1st round selections through the years and not see them properly develop.  Lindy was a big miss and I am sure Hanifin will make us cringe at this trade a year or 2 from now.  Dougie isn't producing here and yet produced on other teams.  That is a sign of the severe lack of talent and coaching that this team has.  Lindy a 40 point player as a Cane.  Traded to Calgary and is on pace for 40 goals and 92 points.  Yeah....

I agree.  We have a severe lack of talent when compared to the true contenders, both on the ice and behind the bench.  RB getting thrusted too fast into a position he has no qualifications having will result in the org burning through another HOF ambassador for this team.  We seem to have gone from an indifferent owner to a potential sycophant that doesn't yet know what he doesn't know.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Kuokkanen getting his shot. Staal on IR, retroactive to the 4th.

Funny I just railed about bringing him back in the GDT. Good move.

Two things:

1. Put Kuok right on a top 9 line.

2. Call Necas up too. 

This team needs a shot in the offensive arm.

29 minutes ago, remkin said:

Funny I just railed about bringing him back in the GDT. Good move.

Two things:

1. Put Kuok right on a top 9 line.

2. Call Necas up too. 

This team needs a shot in the offensive arm.

Kuok with Rask and McGinn, ugggh

Necas- if we dont play him another game this season, we dont have to protect him from Seattle. Play the long game here or no?

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Kuok with Rask and McGinn, ugggh

Necas- if we dont play him another game this season, we dont have to protect him from Seattle. Play the long game here or no?

Frankly I would be stunned if anybody in the front office is even thinking about such things.

Bringing Necas back sounds fine until you consider his physicality (i.e., the lack of it). Foegele doesn't need a demotion, he needs linemates who can match his skill set: speed, passing, finish. Maybe now that Willy's got some mojo back he could work, but I'd much rather see Svech on the other wing, with Rask or even Martinook centering.  

• Like 1

Foegele was on the #2 line for a lot of his 22 game scoreless streak. He also has 1 plus game and 12 minus games. So his efforts are not showing up there either. Again, I really like this kid, but he's getting special treatment because we and the coach like him. I mean he's m'boy, but I have to call'em like I see'em. I know Trip says he's fine and John (or maybe it was Trip) said Necas can stay in Charlotte all year if needed, but right now Foegele is not helping and Necas could. We need offense. 

As to Necas and expansion, it depends on a few things. One, are we making any other moves? Two, are we tossing it in on this season while 2 points out? Three, what is the total plan for all the guys we need to protect? 

The AHL is pretty physical. Not all successful NHL players use physicality to have big success. Necas is a speed guy. 

I know that Roddy is old school on defensive responsibilities, but I thought the plan was to let the young guns loose. The basic idea of it seemed to be working early on. But now he won't release Svech from marginal talent, and keeps Necas in the AHL. And brings up ppg Kuok and puts him on the 4th line (though admittedly this could be just to start). Even as we lose Ferland and Jordan. 

I bring Necas back. I put Svech AND Kouk AND Necas in scoring positions. Heck make them a line. 

Unless we make that ever elusive trade, lets think outside the box. Rod seemed to be going there, but has pulled back into the box.

41 minutes ago, remkin said:

Foegele was on the #2 line for a lot of his 22 game scoreless streak. He also has 1 plus game and 12 minus games. So his efforts are not showing up there either. Again, I really like this kid, but he's getting special treatment because we and the coach like him.

This ignores my point: his ill-suited linemates. 

Necas will be as easy as Foegele to shut down, if he's the only threat on his line. But put Foegele with Svech and a capable center for a couple of games and watch the magic happen. It happened early in the year because his linemates were ripe with the excitement of a new campaign, new team, new coach, etc. But now we're in it, and it's the same slog it's always been. So, like Tripp suggested last night, put Willy with a center and a wing who can feather a pass to him at speed over the stick of a defender (Aho and TT). If you do, maybe that excitement lasts more than five games. But Rod doesn't seem to be cut from that cloth.

I really have nothing against Necas. I just have little confidence that he's ready for what this league dishes night in and night out, and certain that he, just like Foegele and Svech, will only be frustrated when Rod ties him to two pylons and says "go score goals." He's doing it on an AHL club that went deep in the playoffs last year, which is a heluva lot different from doing it on an NHL club that hasn't sniffed the dance in 10 seasons.

Lines need members whose skills complement one another. CLT is rich with lots of interchangeable parts. But one missing piece on any line can spell disaster, and the NHL club is missing several.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Frankly I would be stunned if anybody in the front office is even thinking about such things.

While I'm not at all please with the front office, this is farther than I'm willing to go.  That would be an egregious error in basic personnel management if true.  I imagine there's a big board tracking that along with pending rfa, ufa, and all metrics used to measure players.  (at least there better be!)

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

So he gets to play with McGinn (invisible) and Rask (invisible).  Not good move.

Completely agree with that. I was thinking about that today and maybe it's just one of those things that helps the player fit into the locker room. He doesn't come right up and take a guy's "job" away instantly, which might put pressure on him. Or, maybe it's just a way to get a game or two at NHL speed before moving up.

But I am fully on board with not bringing an offense creator up and putting him on a defensive line. Same if Necas makes it back.

1 minute ago, remkin said:

Completely agree with that. I was thinking about that today and maybe it's just one of those things that helps the player fit into the locker room. He doesn't come right up and take a guy's "job" away instantly, which might put pressure on him.

'Twould go a long way toward holding players accountable to have them lose their jobs to callups, though.  Sometimes even the veterans need to revisit the School of Hard Knocks.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

'Twould go a long way toward holding players accountable to have them lose their jobs to callups, though.  Sometimes even the veterans need to revisit the School of Hard Knocks.

I'm just trying to find the silver lining for not putting Kuok higher. The other thing is that Kuok is listed as a center in Charlotte. I think that's where he's been playing? I know there's a lot of concern about guys playing center in the NHL, but seems like we could slide him up at center. Rask and Bishop are not 2C's. I don't see an obvious 2C in Wallmark, though he'd be closer right now than Rask. But we have too many centers somehow: Aho, Wallmark, Rask, Bishop. 

Since we armchair coaches want to get Svech up and create a second scoring line (Brindy is not reading this, so it's for entertainment purposes), Of course we have too many LW's too.

I guess  I'd propose:

TT-Aho-Svech

Kuok-Wallmark-J Williams

Martinook-Rask-Foegele

PDG-Bishop-McGinn

J Willy seems to be coming on a bit, and Wallmark can make some plays. Hey it's tough to make those lines look good with Staal and Ferland out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, open_your_checkbook_TD said:

While I'm not at all please with the front office, this is farther than I'm willing to go.  That would be an egregious error in basic personnel management if true.  I imagine there's a big board tracking that along with pending rfa, ufa, and all metrics used to measure players.  (at least there better be!)

You may be right, but with the Seattle club not even playing until 21-22, I doubt it. Any current prospect who hasn't amassed enough NHL games to require protection by then is one of two things: no longer with this organization, or someone we're not too worried about losing. 

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I know there's a lot of completely unwarranted concern about guys playing center in the NHL,

FTFY.

I think Roddy needs to get over his own career and stop trying to project it onto every one of his players: If you don't play enough D, you're in the bottom six, no matter how good you are on offense. If you haven't played C in the NHL, or even if you have, but played wing more recently, you're not ready to play center. I'm not saying it isn't the toughest role on the ice. I am saying you can't learn it if you don't play it.

Rod Brind'Amour was never an elite player. He was a force of nature; a great leader who achieved what he did in spite of some pretty significant deficiencies in terms of natural talent. Because of that, I'm not sure he has much respect for elite players, who, by definition, have an aptitude for the game that exceeds his own.     

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

FTFY.

I think Roddy needs to get over his own career and stop trying to project it onto every one of his players: If you don't play enough D, you're in the bottom six, no matter how good you are on offense. If you haven't played C in the NHL, or even if you have, but played wing more recently, you're not ready to play center. I'm not saying it isn't the toughest role on the ice. I am saying you can't learn it if you don't play it.

Rod Brind'Amour was never an elite player. He was a force of nature; a great leader who achieved what he did in spite of some pretty significant deficiencies in terms of natural talent. Because of that, I'm not sure he has much respect for elite players, who, by definition, have an aptitude for the game that exceeds his own.     

What was it, seven years as an assistant coach and he didn't learn something like this? Doesn't sound like a head coaching candidate to me....

Yup sounds like Ned was yanked from the Charlotte game for the sole purpose of starting tomorrow. Begging the question, why is Darling still here. Bury him in the ECHL like Irbe.

Chicago's goalie tandem numbers are the worst I've ever seen, maybe they'd seriously take him back.

Edited by legend-1

7 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Chicago's goalie tandem numbers are the worst I've ever seen, maybe they'd seriously take him back.

They passed on taking him via waivers, but i'm betting that's because of that insane contract.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if they'd take him back, if the Canes retained salary.  Might be worth considering it, as a favor to everyone.  Trade him for a 7th-rounder and be done with it (aside from paying him a couple million dollars for a couple years).

Darling is still here because we don’t want Ned to ride the pine.

The group have made their decision on Darling.  He ain’t coming back next year. He’ll be bought out.

9 hours ago, legend-1 said:

9 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

They passed on taking him via waivers, but i'm betting that's because of that insane contract.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if they'd take him back, if the Canes retained salary. 

I've been pushing for this for weeks. Eat whatever you have to eat, but get his happy @$$ outta here.

I honestly can't even begin to understand the locker room awkwardness of knowing they'd pull out the AHL goalie in the middle of a shutout just to keep you from playing. 

• Like 1