The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

From Spector's Hockey

Pierre LeBrun reports it’s his understanding the Carolina Hurricanes had a trade with a Western Conference club fall through last week at the 11th hour.

It mentions the Canes have discussed Kasperi Kapanen. It doesn't directly tie the Kapanen discussion to the fallen deal but the inference is there.

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

From Spector's Hockey

It mentions the Canes have discussed Kasperi Kapanen. It doesn't directly tie the Kapanen discussion to the fallen deal but the inference is there.

Gotta think it was a three-way, given the Ducks rumors that were flying.

Then again, if it fell through, why wouldn't LeBrun be more specific? Other than the fact that he's probably another "NHL insider" who carries water for the "mighty" (read: Cupless for 50+ years) Leafs. 

18 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Why don't you send him a tweet and ask him?

23 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Well it does say west coast team so the Ducks could make sense.

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

From Spector's Hockey

I have watched about 5 Leaf's games this year and my eye test says he would be an excellent RW with Aho.  He has speed, size, skill, and he doesn't need the puck on his stick to be effective.  A top line of Svech / Aho / Kapanen would be a legitimate top line.  (please go back and watch the last 10-15 games before you tell me that Svech is a RW)

I wonder if TVR and one of our inexpensive and redundant 3/4 lines wingers would get us close?  Maybe a 3rd round pick sweetens it?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

I wonder if TVR and one of our inexpensive and redundant 3/4 lines wingers would get us close?

It would be nice if it did but I'm going to say not a chance.

i pass on Kapenan unless its TVR + for Kap.  He did nothing for 4 years and now that he is on Matthews line he has blown up. Its to get goals when the opposing 5 players are trying to stop Matthews.  We dont have a Matthews.  Kap's value is the highest it has ever been.  not too many experts say "buy high."

The problem at the moment is the entire league knows we need a top 6. I'm sure most  think our need is greater than their need. If the other team plays hardball it is Slavin they will want or another D and a high pick or prospect, maybe even more. If I'm another team and I can't have Slavin I'm looking at deHann and a high pick as part of a deal.

That should change by trade deadline but our need is in the now.

4 hours ago, OBXer said:

From Spector's Hockey

Pierre LeBrun reports it’s his understanding the Carolina Hurricanes had a trade with a Western Conference club fall through last week at the 11th hour.

:bangHead::bangHead::bangHead::bangHead:

"Just do something" almost happened, like so many of our shots on net, almost.

Then again maybe we were trying to trade Aho for a B prospect, a second and a third rounder so as not to pay him, so it might be best. Sorry!!!! I couldn't resist. I joke. OK, I can't help myself. Been waiting for a big trade that benefits us for a long time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cclifford10 said:

Charlie Coyle is one of those players that really looks good on the eye test, but doesn't produce.  I wonder if he might be one of those players that benefits from a change of scenery?

You mean like Jeff Skinner or Eric Staal?  

Except there’s another thread out there full of folks who will MMQB and tell you they were against both being traded in the first place.

I’d actually be ok with a trade for Coyle if the price is ok...can’t hurt us anymore at this moment 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

:bangHead::bangHead::bangHead::bangHead:

"Just do something" almost happened, like so many of our shots on net, almost.

Then again maybe we were trying to trade Aho for a B prospect, a second and a third rounder so as not to pay him, so it might be best. Sorry!!!! I couldn't resist. I joke. OK, I can't help myself. Been waiting for a big trade that benefits us for a long time.

Probably it was more: "Welcome back from 'injury', Brett."

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

i pass on Kapenan unless its TVR + for Kap.  He did nothing for 4 years and now that he is on Matthews line he has blown up. Its to get goals when the opposing 5 players are trying to stop Matthews.  We dont have a Matthews.  Kap's value is the highest it has ever been.  not too many experts say "buy high."

This line of thinking and overvaluing our assets is why we are seeing nothing happen.  Kapanen has not done nothing for the last 4 years.  He has been seasoned and developed nicely.  It's the eye test and not the stats that make him an attractive piece for us.  I could go into a long explanation of what he has that would make him a great compliment to Aho, but I doubt anybody would read it anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

You mean like Jeff Skinner or Eric Staal?  

Except there’s another thread out there full of folks who will MMQB and tell you they were against both being traded in the first place.

I’d actually be ok with a trade for Coyle if the price is ok...can’t hurt us anymore at this moment 

I wouldn't give up any major assets for Coyle, but something reasonable and equitable might make for a nice trade for both teams.  

I think Razo gets an extension by the end of the year unless some unseen otherworldly goalie deal comes along, and rightfully so. He's been good enough. Is he P Roy? No, but good enough for this team to build something around I believe.

He's certainly not clueless like Mongo.

Edited by sleekfeeder

2 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

I think Razo gets an extension by the end of the year unless some unseen otherworldly goalie deal comes along, and rightfully so. He's been good enough. Is he P Roy? No, but good enough for this team to build something around I believe.

Every team wants a Roy or a Hasek, but sometimes it's nice just to have a goaltender who makes the stops he's supposed to make and doesn't beat himself by letting in softies.  We haven't had one of those in more years than i care to count, and now we have 2 (one being injured right now, of course).  We pull off some coup and bring in Vasilevskiy or Rinne in the offseason then of course, but otherwise i could deal with us going into next season with Mraz and Mac as our duo.  With very few exceptions, goaltending has not been the problem this season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Kuokkanen, Bishop, and Darling sent down to Charlotte. Everyone coming back by Thursday?

More likely Staal, Ferland--and Ned gets a look.

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Kuokkanen, Bishop, and Darling sent down to Charlotte. Everyone coming back by Thursday?

Probably keeping Bishop in rhythm (maybe Darling too?) since the next game is Thursday for us and the Checkers play Tuesday. Not sure about Kuokka.  

https://twitter.com/MSmithCanes/status/1074421099151155200

10 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Fun fact:

The top six scorers on the Calgary Flames roster have already amassed 213 scoring points.

The entire Canes active roster has 215.

So over the summer Bill finally learned how to motivate players!

• Like 2