The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

2 hours ago, winger52 said:

So over the summer Bill finally learned how to motivate players!

It’s amazing what he can do when his main focus isn’t on clean drinking water?

• Like 3

from my nhl trade rumors: (appears to be just speculation, but it's something)

A team like the Hurricanes could use someone like Tarasenko

Chris Nichols of Nichols on Hockey: Elliotte Friedman was on Sportsnet 960 and was asked about the idea of the St. Louis Blues moving winger Vladimir Tarasenko.

Friedman notes that Tarasenko is on a good contract – $7.5 million per for four more years.

Nick Kypreos said over the weekend that Tarasenko is “not part of the problem, not part of the solution.”

Friedman talked to a former Blues player who said that he’s a great player but not a leader, and that there are some Blues players who use Tarasenko to try to deflect their own issues.

“So what are you getting? You’re getting a guy who can score, but a guy who is a bit flawed. And a team like Carolina, which I think has waited, they’re dying for goals. I could see it.

Last year he put up 33 goals and 33 assists and lead the team in +/-. This year he's last in +/-, and on a 25 goal pace, but he could be a really good option as a guy who could use a change of scenery IMO. And for those who care, he's plus 55 on his career including this year's -14 really the first significantly minus year of his career. He's 27 and has hit or nearly hit 40 goals in the three straight years before last year.

This year really looks like the outlier. If the stuff about other guys dumping things on him and the Blues having one of those bad seasons, this guy could really bounce with the change of scenery, and he is an elite offensive talent. 

He's signed for 4 more seasons. Historically, mostly in peak production still.

What would it take? 

27 minutes ago, remkin said:

What would it take? 

I don't know but it wouldn't be cheap to get  Tarasenko . Lyle Richardson speculates it would take something like the Pens/Leafs deal for Kessel. So I will guess a high end prospect or young player combined with a couple of early round draft picks.Maybe more. Might take a multi player deal with a lot of moving pieces.

Tarasenko  has a no trade clause beginning n July.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I don't know but it wouldn't be cheap to get  Tarasenko . Lyle Richardson speculates it would take something like the Pens/Leafs deal for Kessel. So I will guess a high end prospect or young player combined with a couple of early round draft picks.Maybe more. Might take a multi player deal with a lot of moving pieces.

Tarasenko  has a no trade clause beginning n July.

Personally, I'd load up. 

Roster D man not named Slavin

+

Kuokanen, Bean, Gauthier, etc, basically take Necas and Fox off the table and pick two if you want.

+

One of our second rounders. One of our third rounders. 

That would be a haul for them, and still leave us with our elite prospects and some nice other prospects, and all of our original draft picks. 

It would accomplish essentially the same thing as a Nylander trade. Instant elite offensive talent that also stretches years into the future. Not quite as young, but still works. 

Aho, Svech, Terasenko, TT and Necas is one heck of an offensive core of guys all with ppg potential. Then add Fox to our D minus Faulk or Pesce, and we're still very strong back there with offense coming from there too. 

All but goalie will be set for several years. 

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

Aho, Svech, Terasenko, TT and Necas is one heck of an offensive core of guys all with ppg potential.

Honestly I'm tired of potential.

• Like 3

We have young assets.  We should use those assets.  Tarasenko is a top-line forward.  Other than Slavin, Aho and Svech, everyone else should be part of the discussion.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OBXer said:

That would be the reason to do this. Tarasenko is a proven NHL 40 goal scorer that is historically on the right side of +/-. The whole point of it would be to trade for something that is not potential. 

But I get what you're saying, which is why, despite seeing the future looking bright, I'm tired of always waiting for next year. (Of course more reason to do something now!)

1 hour ago, remkin said:

And so we wait....

Yeah rem, apropos to this time of the year, just like the kids waiting for Santa. And if the truth be known, with about as much chance as a sleigh will alight on our rooftops. or PNC roof? Hohoho 

• Like 1

FWIW - Elliot Friedman thinks Tarasenko to CAR makes sense. 

https://www.nicholsonhockey.com/archives/2018/12/17/friedman-on-criticism-of-tarasenko-trade-thoughts

"“So what are you getting? You’re getting a guy who can score, but a guy who is a bit flawed. And a team like Carolina, which I think has waited, they’re dying for goals. I could see it.”" 

48 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Yup, I don't really believe in anyone on our roster anymore until they actually prove it.  I certainly don't care about any AHL guys that are going to be great next year.  been hearing that way to long.  

However, if Taresenko or someone of his caliber comes here, it would fill the hole of losing Skinner.  Which still isn't enough(see last season) .  We need 2 of those guys(25-35goal scorers)  at the  least to make us a contender with Toronto, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, etc..... Thats hard to grasp.  Especially since we haven't acquired one of those type of big scoring forwards ever through trade or free agency.  

Unfortunately the Tarasenko thing is more just a guy speculating on a trade that might make sense. A really nice thought. But also a bit of a wish. I guess you never know. But if not him, then someone. 

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Unfortunately the Tarasenko thing is more just a guy speculating on a trade that might make sense

Absolutely. I think learning Tarasenko might indeed be available is the take from this. Everyone know the Canes have the need for a scorer, Dman rich assets and plenty of cap space. Any scoring forward that hits the market is going to be linked, suggested or floated as a possible Canes move.

41 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I'll eat my hat if Terasenko ends up in Raleigh in any capacity other than as a member of the visiting team, and i won't even salt it first.

You gotta use salt. I mean you can't eat a cap without salt.

3 hours ago, remkin said:

Unfortunately the Tarasenko thing is more just a guy speculating on a trade that might make sense. A really nice thought. But also a bit of a wish. I guess you never know. But if not him, then someone. 

Well, there was talk of a trade with a Western Conference team that was close but fell through.  I wonder if that might have been with the Blues?

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Well, there was talk of a trade with a Western Conference team that was close but fell through.  I wonder if that might have been with the Blues?

Hmmm.  I just assumed it was LA or Anaheim for whatever reason.  Maybe?

Only problem with VT is there was an article a year or 2 ago about him and living the US culture and he repeatedly talk about him much he loved St.Louis. Now maybe time has passed and he doesn't feel the same but he sure didnt sound like  guy that wanted to move. This by the way wasn't about the Blues but about the city itself