The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

HItch has played Zykov in three games and in those he hasn't recorded a shot.  I watched him the last game he played and the highlight was a stick penalty.

Must be homesick for Charlotte? Good, thats the way to play it Zeek.

McJesus or no, Edmonton is to the NHL what Siberia is to Zyk's homeland. I'm guessing the kid is confused. And still not fully thawed.

Play like a champ in the A for a year, then get waived, after showing such promise with Aho and TT, because your rookie coach doesn't like your D. And the fact that you look a bit like HWSNBN probably didn't help. Next thing you know you wake up in freeze-your-behind-off-all-season Edmonton.

Included in the latest Elliotte Friedman 31 Thoughts

16. Sounds like Carolina’s been debating Vladimir Tarasenko, but would St. Louis want Martin Necas?

It's a question and not even presented as an ask by the Blues or even if the Canes are actually going to make a bid for Tarasenko. It does point out what if might take to get a scoring forward. I would think it would take more than a Necas type prospect but the question is would we be willing to give up a Necas type for a Tarasenko type player?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Included in the latest Elliotte Friedman 31 Thoughts

It's a question and not even presented as an ask by the Blues or even if the Canes are actually going to make a bid for Tarasenko. It does point out what if might take to get a scoring forward. I would think it would take more than a Necas type prospect but the question is would we be willing to give up a Necas type for a Tarasenko type player?

STL is looking for a shakeup and they are having a hard time scoring.  They are fairly set on defense, especially the right side.  They are ideal partners because they seem willing to move NHL forwards. They arent an ideal partner at the same time because they are going to want our forward prospects back. We arent trading from our area of strength.  

Will cost Necas + though.  The hardest part for me is we would be taking a mighty gamble trading away this season's first for a player.  

Edited by gocanes0506

Do not trade Necas or this season’s first now. It is too late for this season. We should full on tank, and let’s not pull an Ottawa and trade the potential #1 overall pick. Trade D or other prospects or one of our seconds or thirds if there is a deal out there.

• Like 1

Whoever mentioned Vellucci also had a point. He is killing it in Charlotte. Chicago fired a 3 time SC winner to promote their AHL coach. Maybe we should give the reigns to him. If not now, next year. Someone else may grab him if we don’t.

3 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Whoever mentioned Vellucci also had a point. He is killing it in Charlotte

I would let Vellucci take the Chex as far as he can in the playoffs. Let him continue to let the Chex players familiarize themselves with him and his expectations. Let him bring home a AHL championship if possible. It worked for Jon Cooper and Tampa Bay.

I think replacing Brindy would only placate some fans and accomplish nothing without a major player trade.The off season all bets are off.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I think replacing Brindy would only placate some fans and accomplish nothing without a major player trade.The off season all bets are off.

I agree with this.  Brindy isn't Scotty Bowman, but he does have the lowest-paid team sitting at NHL-.500.  He may be a problem, but he isn't the problem.  Open the checkbook for some on-ice talent, and then deal with whether or not the in-house coaching hire can do anything with it.  I'd wager to say even Bowman himself wouldn't have had this bunch sitting in first.  Give the guy something to work with, and go from there.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2018 at 10:15 AM, gocanes0506 said:

STL is looking for a shakeup and they are having a hard time scoring.  They are fairly set on defense, especially the right side.  They are ideal partners because they seem willing to move NHL forwards. They arent an ideal partner at the same time because they are going to want our forward prospects back. We arent trading from our area of strength.  

Will cost Necas + though.  The hardest part for me is we would be taking a mighty gamble trading away this season's first for a player.  

I would not do that. We need to hold onto our future offensive stars and trade our future or current defensive stars. It is so hard for us, after waiting so long on draft and develop not to want the instant return. So easy for most fans who do not follow prospects to give up on a Necas because he's not putting up 65 points in the NHL as a 19 year old. He has elite speed and skill at speed. Don't even look at him when putting trades together.

Also, entry level deals and salary play in too. Do not trade Necas. He is a future star IMO. Svech/Necas/Aho/TT is a core that can win alot if we ADD to it. 

Especially with the sky high hopes for Fox, we simply HAVE to offload 2 high quality D men, and that's where we have to find our O.

If the Blues have no interest in any of our D? Pass. As much as we need a guy like that. There has to be a D for O trade out there. If not, it makes drafting all of that D look as bad as TD implied.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

I would not do that.

I don't either.  I expect Necas to develop into as much as, if not more than, Terasenko.  We still need someone now, but while you have to give to get, i don't give up on Necas that quickly.

I'm torn on the Tarasenko vs Necas debate.  My initial thought is yes yes yes.  But this team is fundamentally flawed down the middle, and until that changes I don't see any winger we bring in, no matter who he is, making an impact that would drastically improve the way the team plays night in and out.  I still think the ask from St Louis is O'Reilly, or both in some blockbuster trade.  You look at the top scoring wingers in the league, and with the exception of a select few, the common denominator is they are all playing with legit 1C's.  I don't know if Aho, who I would mention in the same breath as any top player in the league, is at that status as a C.

On the other hand, a team that lacks offensive talent shouldn't just turn away one of the best goal scorers in the league, who's on a relatively good salary.  Also, while Necas has played well in Charlotte, it hasn't all come at the center position.  And if the plan when he comes back up is to play him on RW, we'd probably be better of with Tarasenko.

Ultimately, I nor anyone here would know what a Carolina/Blues trade would look like.  If they say they want a shake up rather than a rebuild, then I don't think a trade around Necas makes sense.  My guess would be something like TT+.

18 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I agree with this.  Brindy isn't Scotty Bowman, but he does have the lowest-paid team sitting at NHL-.500.  He may be a problem, but he isn't the problem.  Open the checkbook for some on-ice talent, and then deal with whether or not the in-house coaching hire can do anything with it.  I'd wager to say even Bowman himself wouldn't have had this bunch sitting in first.  Give the guy something to work with, and go from there.

NO...FIRE HIM NOW...slobber slobber...torches and pitchforks...  ;)

31 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

NO...FIRE HIM NOW...slobber slobber...torches and pitchforks...  ;)

Whatever. He's the last remaining constant on the payroll of a team that has underperformed for 10 years. The list of successful NHL head coaches who have not paid their dues at lower levels isn't just short, it's non-existent. There's a reason for that. 

1 hour ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

I'm torn on the Tarasenko vs Necas debate.  My initial thought is yes yes yes.  But this team is fundamentally flawed down the middle, and until that changes I don't see any winger we bring in, no matter who he is, making an impact that would drastically improve the way the team plays night in and out.  I still think the ask from St Louis is O'Reilly, or both in some blockbuster trade.  You look at the top scoring wingers in the league, and with the exception of a select few, the common denominator is they are all playing with legit 1C's.  I don't know if Aho, who I would mention in the same breath as any top player in the league, is at that status as a C.

On the other hand, a team that lacks offensive talent shouldn't just turn away one of the best goal scorers in the league, who's on a relatively good salary.  Also, while Necas has played well in Charlotte, it hasn't all come at the center position.  And if the plan when he comes back up is to play him on RW, we'd probably be better of with Tarasenko.

Ultimately, I nor anyone here would know what a Carolina/Blues trade would look like.  If they say they want a shake up rather than a rebuild, then I don't think a trade around Necas makes sense.  My guess would be something like TT+.

Well-reasoned post. I'd just avoid separating TT and Aho like the plague. 

We're about 18 months late on moving Jordan, and I doubt he'd go the St. Louis anyway. But he's an offensive piece we might be able to move out for value. Pair him with one or more D to a team in need and maybe you bring back someone(s) worth keeping.

19 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Something happened to this team after the first five games of the season, the same that has happened to it are various points of every season over the past decade: It settled into playing to the level of its competition, both better and worse. Is that on the coach? No. I have always said the door to motivation is locked from the inside, and I give Rod that same caveat. But at some point repeated behaviors which continue in spite of wholesale changes to personnel must be traced to culture, and I think we've been at that place with this team for a very long time.

Sometimes (I'll say it again) an org can't move forward until it kills its sacred cows. If we are really holding guys accountable and rewarding good play, what the hell are Victor Rask and Brock McGinn even doing on this team? How/why the hell did we not only bring Scott Darling back, but actually let him start against the reigning Stanley Cup Champions? What has Jordan Staal done at any point this season (or most of last) to deserve being anywhere near the top six?

These are coaching decisions. If we were really rewarding guys, Wallmark's entire line would be the second. Bishop would be the 4C, and Staal wold center a third with two speedsters on his wings, so he can lolly up the ice to join the goal cellies at whatever pace he likes. McGinn, Rask, and PDG would be waived, Zykov would have had at least half as many chances as PDG has gotten at this level, and Kouk, not Necas, would have made the opening-night roster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Well-reasoned post. I'd just avoid separating TT and Aho like the plague. 

We're about 18 months late on moving Jordan, and I doubt he'd go the St. Louis anyway. But he's an offensive piece we might be able to move out for value. Pair him with one or more D to a team in need and maybe you bring back someone(s) worth keeping.

I think Aho and TT are a bit redundant.  They have too similar of a style for me, and TT's way too gun-shy when it comes to shooting.  Even though they put up similar numbers last year, I think Tarasenko would be way better with Aho.  And with STL being strong on RHD, the max I'd offer for Tarasenko would be TT/Bean/Buffalo 2nd.  Don't know if that would be enough though.

On 12/20/2018 at 3:47 PM, top-shelf-1 said:

McJesus or no, Edmonton is to the NHL what Siberia is to Zyk's homeland. I'm guessing the kid is confused. And still not fully thawed.

Play like a champ in the A for a year, then get waived, after showing such promise with Aho and TT, because your rookie coach doesn't like your D. And the fact that you look a bit like HWSNBN probably didn't help. Next thing you know you wake up in freeze-your-behind-off-all-season Edmonton.

And the golfing season has to wait several months longer than Raleigh or Charlotte.Rod never liked the smell of Solyanka or the herring sammy's.

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

I think Aho and TT are a bit redundant.  They have too similar of a style for me, and TT's way too gun-shy when it comes to shooting.  Even though they put up similar numbers last year, I think Tarasenko would be way better with Aho.  And with STL being strong on RHD, the max I'd offer for Tarasenko would be TT/Bean/Buffalo 2nd.  Don't know if that would be enough though.

We need a 2nd scoring line not trading away our scoring forwards

Put it on the other thread, but yeah, we are forward skill o penic. We need to keep all the skill we have and then get some more. 

I'm not saying Tarasenko for TT and then quit.  Obviously there's more moves to make, but I haven't heard of many more players on the market that fit the exact mold of what Carolina needs, and I feel like we're always waiting for the perfect player to pop up at the perfect time while other teams are progressing.  I feel that while not ideal, Tarasenko for TT+ would be a start that Carolina is recognizing part of the problem here.

I will admit that Tarasenko is more elite than TT, and I could see putting TT in there, but not Necas. If we flipped Tarasenko and TT, then somehow pulled of another move, that could work.