The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

6 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

Just read on Twitter than McGinn and PDG put on waivers....  Any confirmation?

Where did you see this? Is there a link. The only thing I have seen is a snarky comment in reply to Z being claimed.

If so, we might be starting to bring up the yutes. Could be an interesting move. This team is done for this year almost certainly, but some sort of shake up could be worth a try.

I haven't quite given up the season, You know, do you believe in miracles syndrome. That doesn't stop me from looking ahead to trade deadline. If we are sellers, likely, we have Martinook, Williams, Mrazek and McElhinney with expiring contracts. I could see playoff bound or in the playoff fight teams wanting any of those players as rentals. Of course you have to find a team needing a specific need as playoff teams aren't going to give up a great deal for rentals.

One RFA is on my trade watch list. Hayden Fluery. We have D in the AHL that can sit just as well as Fluery does.

One roster player I would try and move is Rask. He has a no trade kicking in next season. Moving Rask will cost us. We would need to retain salary, maybe take back a bad contract and I don't think the return would offer immediate help. I would still float him. There might be a team willing to take a risk.

Other moves are possible but they seem more like off-season moves to me.

I really want to keep Martinook and at least one of the goalies. I like McE, but he's getting up there. Ferland's a UFA too. Not signing him seems crazy, but he is a UFA>

30 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Yeah. A playoff team would want him too.

I don't know what he's looking for, but he almost feels like a must sign to me.

• Like 1

We can’t trade McE

Mrazek could be moved.  Although we have to consider the long term plan at goalie.

Williams will go if he asks to get another shot at a cup

i don’t think Martinook brings more than a mid round pick. Might as well keep him. Mid round picks can produce a Foegele, Slavin, pesce, etc in 3-4 years. That isn’t good for us now.

Ferland would bring in a higher pick than Marty. Due to the draft class depth and his injury history, I don’t see it being a first. Might as well keep him unless he doesn’t want to stay.

Definitely agree with your premise gocanes that we don't need late round picks, especially for guys we should try to keep (Martinook, Ferland).

I do wonder about back up goalie. If we can sign McE, he's been so solid. I'm not at all convinced that Mrazek is the answer at #1, so I think we're goalie shopping this offseason and looking to keep one of these guys as a back up. I really like McBackup. Question: how old can goalies be and still stay solid?

With our offense we might need Brodeur or Hasek in their prime to be successful.

Difference in save % between Mrazek and McE is 2% which means 2 more goals in 100 SOG (3 or more games)

Edited by Bonivan

13 minutes ago, remkin said:

Definitely agree with your premise gocanes that we don't need late round picks, especially for guys we should try to keep (Martinook, Ferland).

I do wonder about back up goalie. If we can sign McE, he's been so solid. I'm not at all convinced that Mrazek is the answer at #1, so I think we're goalie shopping this offseason and looking to keep one of these guys as a back up. I really like McBackup. Question: how old can goalies be and still stay solid?

The goalie plan is one of two I wish I was a fly on the wall. The other being offense.

Options:

We keep McE for one year deal as the backup option to Ned. May be Ned doesn’t look ready so we have a backup plan.

then the starter option is:

Keep Mrazek (if we actually spend money on offense)

or we go out and get one of the two more expensive starters this offseason.

my overly optimistic (and unlikely based on history) is we sign 2 of the few top 6 scoring forwards available, then buyout Darling, then keep the current tandem with Mrazek on a 2 year deal and McE on 1.  

• Like 1

I'm really hoping we start offer sheeting the *edit* outta a few RFA's on 1 July...just to get some sweet revenge on the teams that have refused to trade with us.

• Like 3

You're not going to need to wait til the offseason to know if the goalie issue will be resolved. If nothing happens at the deadline I'd give it a good 99% chance our tandem's Mrazek/Mac next year. FA goalies team's cant afford will be moved at the deadline and the few that remain will likely be resigned by their clubs before becoming UFA's.

33 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I'm really hoping we start offer sheeting the *edit* outta a few RFA's on 1 July...just to get some sweet revenge on the teams that have refused to trade with us.

Doubt we offer sheet Matthew or Marner.

It is challenging for Canes fans to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  That may be because it is an old flashlight running on its last battery legs.

The Canes roster is full of players needing a new start elsewhere.  Those include Victor Rask, Scott Darling, Phil DGS, Brock McGinn, Dougie Hamilton, Jordan Staal, and Justin Faulk.  That is 1/3 of the lineup.  Staal has a no trade clause in his contract, but that should not stop management from trying to make a move.  Rask and Darlings' collective contracts make them near impossible to move for anything, period.  Someone would want McGinn, but the return will not make the Canes any better.  Hamilton, Faulk, Fleury, and Bean would all bring something of value back in return.  

I would not want to move either Ferland or Martinook, who have brought some necessary toughness to a team lacking it.

Team needs to be built from the ground up.  Some nice building pieces in Svechnikov, Aho, Necas, TT, Ferland, Wallmark, Foegle, Slavin, Pesce, Haan, maybe Fox.  That is 1/2 a team, build the other half.

I know the standings dont reflect it but I dont think they are really that far away. I also think the D didnt lose a step when Pesce was out so, if I had a say.

I would trade Pesce for a scorer.

Trade Rask, Staal, and possibly Williams if the returns were right and would help the team long term.

I understand how player may look at the team if we were to move Hamilton so I keep him through the season and move him afterwards.

I bring back McE and Mrazek unless a better option comes around

I keep RB with the understanding that he has to be more flexible on the 2 way player idea. We have a solid D and a lot of good 2 way players it would be ok to have a few pure O guys. If he cant do that I part ways with him.

Outside of that I gotta say 

"I like our guys"

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

We can’t trade McE

Probable true. There is one out but I doubt McE would fit the allowable trade rule. Not knowing if any other team put in a claim we just have to wait and see

I think the offer sheet may start to be used as a weapon this summer against the haves by the have-nots...and I sincerely hope it happens...

This averaged annual salary is determined by dividing the total compensation by the lesser of the number of years of the Offer Sheet or five years.

With this rule almost every serious offer-sheet will require 4 first rounders as compensation.

1 hour ago, Bonivan said:

This averaged annual salary is determined by dividing the total compensation by the lesser of the number of years of the Offer Sheet or five years.

With this rule almost every serious offer-sheet will require 4 first rounders as compensation. 

The Whalers pulled that crap once with Wesley. Hope I won't see it again. 

Another thing I see happening during the next lockout is one of the parties wanting to either lessen or increase the compensation for losing a player to an offer sheet