The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

25 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Another thing I see happening during the next lockout is one of the parties wanting to either lessen or increase the compensation for losing a player to an offer sheet 

That about covers anything and everything that could happen with that.

Meaning: the have not teams will want to lessen what they’ll have to give up in th offer sheet while the haves will want to increase the payment 

25 minutes ago, Whaler1 said:

The Whalers pulled that crap once with Wesley. Hope I won't see it again. 

We traded for Wesley. He had one good offensive season and we threw 3 first rounders at Boston to get him.  Never happened again.

JR did offer sheet Federov.  

In the end if we didnt offer sheet Nylander with a 5 year 7.5 million deal then we aren’t going a Marner or Matthews that will cost 4 1st rounders.  We are a budget team that needs our first rounders to supplement the squad.  

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

We traded for Wesley. He had one good offensive season and we threw 3 first rounders at Boston to get him.  Never happened again.

JR did offer sheet Federov.  

In the end if we didnt offer sheet Nylander with a 5 year 7.5 million deal then we aren’t going a Marner or Matthews that will cost 4 1st rounders.  We are a budget team that needs our first rounders to supplement the squad.  

Somewhat interesting read, https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-xpm-1994-08-27-9408270399-story.html

Interesting points: First of all a newspaper has republished all its crap as far back as 94 and seeing Wesley referred to as 25 years old.

Sounds like the Whalers wanted to offer sheet both players that offseason NHL only allowed one per offseason, my guess is tampering wasn't a thing 25 years ago. Wesley got wind of his worth and refused to sign with the Bruins for what they were offering and essentially the Bruins wanted the compensation from the Whalers.

Just a bunch of guesses, interested to hear how close or far off I am. 

So I mean yea, it was a trade but Whaler's post makes sense too.

Edited by legend-1

I'm all about bringing a star offensive player in here, and maybe Austin Matthews is worth it, but I'm not giving up 4 first rounders. Also, Toronto is going to match anything for Matthews. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the player have the option of not signing the offer?

Clearly the trade is the way. But even at that, if we have the cap space we'd be better rolling the dice and overpaying one UFA than giving up 4 first rounders, I'm thinking. Yes, they can be bad deals, but didn't we previously decide that the only way to build a long term winner was draft and develop? Giving up 4 first rounders would kill that.

Offer sheets never work anyways, and just ruins a potential trading partner. Also, not sure TD needs to kick the NHL hornets' nest more.

9 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I highly doubt offer sheet compensation is coming up in the conversation to avoid a lockout. 

Duh.

No...but it'll be brought up DURING the lockout as a point of discussion...like it was last time (and quietly shelved)

@remkin

yes the player has to sign the offer.

It will be interesting to see if we try to trade now for someone we have an eye on or do sign them in FA with no loss of prospects (only loss of money).  

IF (and I stress IF) TD is willing to go to 70-75 million in payroll, I’d be willing to wait until the offseason to make the signings.  A decade without playoffs is garbage but we could really turn the franchise around in this offseason.

If GM gocanes is running the show:

I keep everyone except Williams (if he wants to play for another cup).

I have three options for better offense:

sign a Stone, Simmonds, or Duchene.  Or trade a RHD named Faulk or Hamilton for Point of TB.

then give away Rask to anyone (Ottawa will be looking for cap hits)

Take on 50% of Darling and ship him to Chicago for nothing.

If we sign two FAs then we could trade Hamilton or Faulk for futures (more market).

between the loss of Rask, 5 million on D, and 2 million on Darling we will save about 3-4 million on the current cap hit with one big FA/trade addition.

Then we are going to add about 12 million with the current roster players  (16+ but minus-4.5 for Williams). Addition of 10 million in the end to add one player and keep the roster (not that sexy really)

Svech-Aho-Turbo

Ferland-Duchene-Necas

Martinook-Staal-Foegele

McGinn-Wallmark-Bishop(or Williams on a low 1 year deal)

Slavin-Pesce

CdH-Hamilton (Trade Faulk this offseason and Hamilton in 2020 off-season, if Fox looks ready)

Fluery-TVR/Fox

I’d like to add two big acquisitions (to push Ferland with Staal) but I don’t see us going 78 million in payroll (with M&M being the goalies for another year).

If Dundon wants to make a splash, there is plenty splashing to be had.

- Dallas CEO just called out his two best players Seguin and Benn.  See if he's willing to part with either one.  I would take Seguin as a top line center, giving them just about anyone they want other than Aho and Svech.

- What would it take to get ROR out of STL?  

- Frolik could be had for a bag of pucks.  He's better than most of the guys we are trotting out there right now.

- EDM is in panic mode.  Take the Lucic contract off their hands and I bet they are more than willing to talk.  They need a legit defensman badly given their two low-level panic trades from yesterday.  

Edited by ironman87

Just got an email from the Canes titled The Pass is Back:

For a second I got excited thinking they meant the tape to tape pass.....but then I realized it wasn't. So apparently bad passing it still on.

RETURN OF THE PASS
Canes Pass, a flexible and affordable way to attend Carolina Hurricanes home games, returns in 2019.
Each Pass includes access to all 10 Hurricanes home games in January and February and is available in two seating categories, starting at just $199.

7 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

- Dallas CEO just called out his two best players Seguin and Benn.  See if he's willing to part with either one.  I would take Seguin as a top line center, giving them just about anyone they want other than Aho and Svech.

No way...they're both in the 8-10M range, and have NTC's...

Definitely a 1st, probably with a player and prospect as well...not worth it in the long run, if that's the price.

- Frolik could be had for a bag of pucks.  He's better than most of the guys we are trotting out there right now.

Might be worth a shot...but he's a winger...who would we send up there in return?

- EDM is in panic mode.  Take the Lucic contract off their hands and I bet they are more than willing to talk.  They need a legit defensman badly given their two low-level panic trades from yesterday.  

No...Lucic has proven since his trade from Boston he's all talk and no action...he'd be HWSNBN 2.0...obsessed with the celebrity status and nothing more.  

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

For a second I got excited thinking they meant the tape to tape pass.....but then I realized it wasn't.

RETURN OF THE PASS
Canes Pass, a flexible and affordable way to attend Carolina Hurricanes home games, returns in 2019.
Each Pass includes access to all 10 Hurricanes home games in January and February and is available in two seating categories, starting at just $199.

AE7D0A3B-AEF0-409F-A4BD-DFA10C690F20.gif

D2290B12-257D-4B1D-B3B6-16F6B19835BF.gif

Edited by AWACSooner

10 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

No way...they're both in the 8-10M range, and have NTC's...

Definitely a 1st, probably with a player and prospect as well...not worth it in the long run, if that's the price.

Might be worth a shot...but he's a winger...who would we send up there in return?

No...Lucic has proven since his trade from Boston he's all talk and no action...he'd be HWSNBN 2.0...obsessed with the celebrity status and nothing more.  

-I think Seguin is a solid piece, however in the mental toughness aspect he could become a locker room albatross if we didn't start winning. 

-ROR *IS* a locker room albatross, looking at STL to turn it around a'la Colorado and Buffalo if they let him loose, on the other hand maybe if we pulled off the same thing we'd be saying he's what cleansed our bad mojo. 

-At this point I'm sure there's someone we could dump up there that Bill Peters could magically get to work again, seeing as how our luck has been. 

-I agree, Lucic is trash, lots of talk and no action. 

7 minutes ago, remkin said:

Uhhhh, thankyouverymuch. Tip your waitresses.

I wouldn't pay for that pass unless you put a gun to my head...it's bad enough I've already spent $$ on airfare, hotels and tickets to the three western Canada games next month, and will go down to Dallas in Feb for my witnessing of the annual Stars thrashing us...but I'm also committed to airfare, hotels and tickets to the weekend home games at the end of March...

There's 6 games I'm already dreading showing up to and watching all that $$ I just spent get torched as we will probably lose.

53 minutes ago, remkin said:

For a second I got excited thinking they meant the tape to tape pass.....but then I realized it wasn't. So apparently bad passing it still on.

RETURN OF THE PASS

I responded to the Canes I'll "pass".

With all of the options mentioned I'm up for anything. JUST DO SOMETHING. Dont give guys away for free unless it is Darling,PDG or Rask. Hamilton gets another 1/2 year before his fate is decided.Unload the salaries and dead wood before 2019-2020.

- Sorry I wasn't clear.  Lucic is a means to an end.  We aren't taking that contract unless Draisaitl or RNH are attached to it.  Lucic is crap at this point he would be a 4th liner for us now and net-front on the PP.

- Regarding Dallas, I would not take Benn, his contract is ridiculous.  Seguin is more interesting for sure and a better overall player, IMO.

- Frolik can be had for just about anything.  Late round draft pick would probably do it.  Waive PDG in a corresponding move.

- The thing that makes me mad is that are have 3 real assets in spades - good RHD, deep prospect pool, and tons of cap space.  We need to start using it.  An asset not used is worthless!

I still hold what we have and do stuff in the offseason. Kapanen from Toronto is a sell another Wesley trade(although not as expensive) for us in my eyes. The remaining mentioned names are mere overpriced bandages or not available.  

I would hate to kill our chances of getting the one of a few top 6 players available in the FA market by trying to get an expensive used bandaid for this season. 

The only move I would like to see us get involved in for this season is a large move involving Stone & Duchene from Ottawa.

Rask and Hamilton (they will need cap money and a franchise player for fan interest) plus a pick two of Kuokkanen, Gauthier, and Bean. I would include Necas in that group if I have to.  I will include this year’s first if we can sign one of them during the negotiations. A conditional 2021 1st rounder as well, the condition is the other signs an extension as well.

4 minutes ago, Beaufort12plus said:

PDG on waivers

For the love of all that's holy, someone PLEASE pick him up and let us move on from this obsession with him.

• Like 1

Just now, remkin said:

For the love of all that's holy, someone PLEASE pick him up and let us move on from this obsession with him.

Doubtful but I thought no one would grab Z either.