The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

57 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

Spot on thoughts from top-shelf and remkin. It has become painfully obvious that trading Skinner was a BIG mistake. 

Who's head rolls on this one? Waddell? HCRB? I mean you could argue that this move was as bad as the long term signing of Mongo, and that cost Francis his job.

As obsessed as TD appears on the surface to be with offense, one would assume he is fuming over this one, that unless he was the driver. Maybe he should fire himself.

Edited by sleekfeeder
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Maybe he should fire himself.

And this is the downside of the owner micro managing everything. He has no one else to blame. All decisions run through him and the image is probably even worse than the reality. 

He can still fix this with a move that really hurt no one, at least at first. Hire a competent GM, then take just one small step behind the curtain. Better decisions and a guy to draw the blame if things don't work out. And again, I really doubt Waddell would mind going back to being President. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Who's head rolls on this one? Waddell? HCRB? I mean you could argue that this move was as bad as the long term signing of Mongo, and that cost Francis his job.

As obsessed as TD appears on the surface to be with offense, one would assume he is fuming over this one, that unless he was the driver. Maybe he should fire himself.

I think it was a little of both.  We’ve all heard the rumors about Rod not wanting Jeff here anymore due to perceived attitude issues...but it was 100% Waddell’s fault for that ****ty return on the trade.  Lindy and Noah just weren’t producing at the levels reflecting what we expected when drafted them, and they were coming into contract years wanting more than their production was worth at that time.  

32 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Lindy and Noah just weren’t producing at the levels reflecting what we expected when drafted them, and they were coming into contract years wanting more than their production was worth at that time.  

We seem to have gotten the butt end of the Ferland-Hamilton-Fox/Lindholm-Hanifin trade solely because of Hamilton's sloppy-a** play this season. So far, he's been an embarrassment. Nevertheless, it was a trade that many if not most GMs would have made. If Hamilton comes around and Fox signs with us, it might end up looking better for us.

The Skinner trade was a horse of an entirely different color. Whether it was driven by a novice-owner, incompetent GM, or arrogant HC, it's highly unlikely that other teams would have traded Skinner for such a pitiful return, especially when our big deficit over the years has been elite goal scorers. The best we can hope for now is that TD learned from it and doesn't make the same mistake again. He can do that by this:

33 minutes ago, remkin said:

Hire a competent GM, then take just one small step behind the curtain.

Edited by spyglass88
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Bonivan said:

Sometime such stuff happens. On the other hand if Canes were in a playoff spot nobody would have rehashed that trade for so long on this board. So I think it is mostly current results and not the trade itself that generates disappointment.

And had the Canes been a Stanley Cup dynasty with Chad LaRose on the top line, nobody would have been lamenting LaRose on the top line.  Sometimes the chicken lays the egg.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Anyone in the loop on Duchene contract outlook or what the likelihood of what they do with him is? Just curious. He has 17g as of today.

Rumor in October/ November was that Duchene was looking for 9 million x 8 to stay in Ottawa 

52 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Hooooweeeeee!

I think that was a to stay in a place with no chance for 8 years price.  He’ll probably end up signing for the 7.5-8.25 range.

19 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I think that was a to stay in a place with no chance for 8 years price.  He’ll probably end up signing for the 7.5-8.25 range.

Yeah I was wondering what he'd take to get out of there.

1 minute ago, remkin said:

Yeah I was wondering what he'd take to get out of there.

American dollar is stronger and our taxes are lower. Also matt loves Country music.  

• Like 1

Maybe this should be in another thread, but read the Sabre’s blogger on Hockey Buzz saying talks have begun with Skinner, and his ask is $9.5 million/year x 8 years. Even the Buffalo blogger pointed out that Skinner has been up and down, and they might regret paying him equal to Eichel if/when he regresses, even to 30 goals per year. I realize this is an opening offer, and he’ll no doubt get less, but the Canes were probably right to question if what it might take to resign him was worth it. But oh the return! A second/third tier prospect and 2 draft picks, neither in the first round. If we use those draft picks, plus a prospect plus a defenseman to haul in Duchene, Stone, or another solid, proven goal scorer, I can feel a little better. But right now the trade front in Carolina is crickets.

Friend texted me that Darren Dreger has posted on Twitter that Toronto now interested in Hamilton? Could we get a Marner or Kapanen out of this, and if so, should we jump on this, particularly with Dougie looking like he's turning around this season? IDK, but that might be attractive.

Skinner will get $8.5 million from somebody. Then the owners will lock him (and every other player) out, saving a half-season's payroll on their entire rosters. (In Skinner's case alone, that would produce an effective salary, over the life his deal, of $8 million). Multiply the effect across an entire NHL payroll and it's easy to see why owners love lockouts: they're highly profitable.  

1 minute ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Skinner will get $8.5 million from somebody. Then the owners will lock him (and every other player) out, saving a half-season's payroll on their entire rosters. (In Skinner's case alone, that would produce an effective salary, over the life his deal, of $8 million). Multiply the effect across an entire NHL payroll and it's easy to see why owners love lockouts: they're highly profitable.  

Except for all the players getting heavy signing bonuses the years of a potential lockout.

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Sorry Top, have to disagree with this sentiment as it doesn't pass the sniff test for me. Saving half a year's payroll is stupid in any book when it comes at the cost of half a year's revenue....

16 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

Sorry Top, have to disagree with this sentiment as it doesn't pass the sniff test for me. Saving half a year's payroll is stupid in any book when it comes at the cost of half a year's revenue....

And the loss of more fans, the severe drop in market share, etc.

But maybe it’ll finally get Bettman removed

1 hour ago, DevildogKodi said:

Disagree if you like, but you might want to consider the numbers, for example that playoffs will still happen (so that revenue won't be lost). Also that the two most profitable of the other 28 teams, after NYR, TOR, and MTL, make only a bit more than half in operating revenue what those three teams do. After that top five, profitability really drops off, as that linked chart shows. Then factor in that throughout the lockout, yuuuuuge expenses go away: team travel and lodging, the cost of hosting games, and of paying all the people who work those events.

Edited by top-shelf-1
missing word