The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

Hey Wadds you gonna help this team or not? And don't give me that oh Staal is back so that is a huge addition back to our lineup that we've been missing business.

• Like 3

Yea, we got Martinook for the corpse of Marcus Krueger and shed his salary in the process.  That was a 100% win for us for sure!  So far the CAL trade has been a loss, but that one will take some time to fully evaluate.  It looks better than it did two weeks ago, now that Hamilton is starting to flex his offensive muscle....

17 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I've recently started to wonder if some of the urgency to dump Skinner might have arisen from a contentious alpha male dynamic between Skinner and Williams.  I'm not thinking hostility or anything overt.  But Williams was brought in for leadership as much as for his hockey skills. 

I agree this was a piece of it. With BP having suggested Skinner earned after Rod's bud Willy had come back, and many fans - me included - wanting either him or Skins to get the "C" last season, one probably had to go. Although it can also be argued that's what the "A"s are for. Which brings me back to this org is cheap. 

• Like 1

From Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts - here 

6. Carolina is not in a position to allow its potential unrestricted free agents to walk for nothing. They are far, far apart in negotiations with Micheal Ferland, so it looks like “when” not “if” for him. Pittsburgh makes sense, and so does Edmonton, but there will be others. ..... They are trying to re-sign another good depth winger, Jordan Martinook.

Edited by coastal_caniac

32 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

6. Carolina is not in a position to allow its potential unrestricted free agents to walk for nothing. They are far, far apart in negotiations with Micheal Ferland, so it looks like “when” not “if” for him. Pittsburgh makes sense, and so does Edmonton, but there will be others. ..... They are trying to re-sign another good depth winger, Jordan Martinook.

Freidman is a click baiter.  Only thing he would have to do is include Toronto in on the rumor to really increase the clicks.

Edited by gocanes0506

12 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Freidman’s is click baiter.  Only thing he would have to do is include Toronto in on the rumor to really increase the clicks.

Well he is better connected than I am so I will continue to read him.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Freidman is a click baiter.  Only thing he would have to do is include Toronto in on the rumor to really increase the clicks.

gocanes, I agree with this. IMHO, Darren Dreger and Bob McKenzie are the two posters I trust on player movement.

Edited by KJUNKANE

58 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

If we lose Ferland I’ll blow a freakin’ gasket. The only condolence I had over losing Lindholm was getting Ferland.

I hate seeing this in print, regardless of the source. 

Ferland (and Martinook) are the types of players we have been missing for a very, very long time. When you consider that our young stars/potential stars like Aho, TT, and Necas aren’t exactly huge and that most of the team is relatively soft, the wisest choice of action seems pretty damn obvious.

• Like 5

Yea, you traded for Ferland because you did not want to sign the other guys.  And he's exactly the type of player we need.  Get it done, DW (or TD).  In the same article, they are talking about moving Hamilton.  At least it was framed as a D for O trade and not a 2019 white flag trade...

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

John Forslund offered the same information during the Blue Jackets game, almost verbatim.

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

I read the article early this morning and have a hard time understanding the far, far apart comment in contract negotiations. Ferland cant be asking for a Kings ransom could he? I guess we will find out. The guy deserves a raise but a huge bump would be ridiculous. Or is it a matter of what Dundon considers a huge increase?

4 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

John Forslund offered the same information during the Blue Jackets game, almost verbatim.

Magically Friedman has started to report this on Saturday the 5th.  Now he has only expanded on his initial thought to include “way off,” “not if but when”, and team names.  Grabbing on to rumors wherever he can to create 31 thoughts for click bait. He is what Eklund was about 4 years ago.  Only a matter of time before he becomes where everyone goes to see what isn’t going to happen, much like Ek is now.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Magically Friedman has started to report this on Saturday the 5th.  Now he has only expanded on his initial thought to include “way off,” “not if but when”, and team names.  Grabbing on to rumors wherever he can to create 31 thoughts for click bait. He is what Eklund was about 4 years ago.  Only a matter of time before he becomes where everyone goes to see what isn’t going to happen, much like Ek is now.

That's your opinion and you are welcome to it.  I am only providing information I thought some may find interesting.

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

If we lose Ferland I’ll blow a freakin’ gasket. The only condolence I had over losing Lindholm was getting Ferland.

I hate seeing this in print, regardless of the source. 

Ferland (and Martinook) are the types of players we have been missing for a very, very long time. When you consider that our young stars/potential stars like Aho, TT, and Necas aren’t exactly huge and that most of the team is relatively soft, the wisest choice of action seems pretty damn obvious.

Kyrule, I'm right there with you on these thoughts. how many years I ask, have we witnessed team after team come in and literally push our players, taking liberty with and cheap shots at will? I would cringe when some of the more sizable teams came to town, and just pray that there were no significant injuries. Then we come across the Ferlands and Martinooks, and this seems to have at least set a new attitude toward physically? Now granted, they're real heavyweights, and Ferland apparently has incurred a few concussions, But my gosh Dundon, try to get on board with this, and reup this guy, that is unless he's seeking double his current salary?  

• Like 1

Just now, slapshot02 said:

I read the article early this morning and have a hard time understanding the far, far apart comment in contract negotiations. Ferland cant be asking for a Kings ransom could he? I guess we will find out. The guy deserves a raise but a huge bump would be ridiculous. Or is it a matter of what Dundon considers a huge increase?

Ferland holds the cards

He knows we are basically forced to re-sign him. We traded a young controllable asset because we wanted him. He has the negotiating power right now.

We still have a chance to keep him. He could be overplaying his hand. His market value will show the week before UFA when teams can talk to UFAs (no numbers, yeah right).  It wont be as high as he may be playing at this point.

A. He doesn’t have big numbers even when playing with Johnny Hockey

B. He has concussion issues

Maybe Ferland decided to at least get money since all that "make Canes great again" is still only talk no actions from TD. No chances for playoffs in near future but at least have some money

Dunden just doesn’t seem to grasp that we HAVE to overpay sometimes to keep or get good players. We are not a great destination for these players based on losing, crappy attendance, small market. You traded for Ferland and he has played well. Pay him! Put that ego aside and get it done. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Canes06cup17 said:

Dunden just doesn’t seem to grasp that we HAVE to overpay sometimes to keep or get good players. We are not a great destination for these players based on losing, crappy attendance, small market. You traded for Ferland and he has played well. Pay him! Put that ego aside and get it done. 

We shouldn't overpay Ferland.  He is not that type of player.  I think we should go to the top end of his pay scale, but not greatly over.  We should overpay Stone.  

Edited by cclifford10
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

We shouldn't overpay Ferland.  He is not that type of player.  I think we should go to the top end of his pay scale, but not greatly over.  We should overpay Stone.  

Depends on the amount of overpayment. Consider that market value is what he would get in free agency.  His dream may not have been to play in Carolina.  He may prefer to go somewhere that does the whole "playoff thing". It isn't like TD is finagling a cap issue.  A moderate overpayment to UFA market value wouldn't be horrible.  This is probably Ferland's single shot at cashing in on a lifetime of hard work.

How much would you pay

37 minutes ago, Canes06cup17 said:

24 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

13 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Depends on the amount of overpayment. Consider that market value is what he would get in free agency.  His dream may not have been to play in Carolina.  He may prefer to go somewhere that does the whole "playoff thing". It isn't like TD is finagling a cap issue.  A moderate overpayment to UFA market value wouldn't be horrible.  This is probably Ferland's single shot at cashing in on a lifetime of hard work.

I'd love to re-sign Ferland but I fear that's the dilemma the Canes will be facing.   Other than money, I see little reason for Ferland to forego UFA status and sign with the Canes.   He hasn't been here long enough to develop ties, and his experience so far can't leave him with the impression that Canes are one of the best teams in the league to pursue a Cup.   So why wouldn't he demand a huge contract in order to bypass UFA, not just from a $ perspective, but also the chance to choose a team?  (not sure about GMs but I've seen a lot of other fan bases indicate that they'd love Ferland on their team)

If that ends up being the case, how much would you (generic you, not the 3 members I quoted) be willing to "overpay" Ferland?  Keep in mind ccliford's point that there will likely be other options out there for next season like Stone, Duchene, etc. who would also need an "overpayment" in order to land.

I first thought re-signing Ferland would be a  no brainer, but the more I think about it, the more problematic I'm thinking it might be.    

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

Ferland brings the kind of game the Canes need - the ability to score and some physicality.  He's also cooled down since October, tallying 9 points in the past 23 games.  A month or so of solid scoring got Rask a cushy contract here and look at him now.  I'd make Ferland part of the core for next season, but i wouldn't give him Tavares money.  Waddell, meet agent.  Agent, meet Waddell.  Put it together.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I agree this was a piece of it. With BP having suggested Skinner earned after Rod's bud Willy had come back, and many fans - me included - wanting either him or Skins to get the "C" last season, one probably had to go. Although it can also be argued that's what the "A"s are for. Which brings me back to this org is cheap. 

The only thing about using an A for Skinner is that I'm guessing Rod and TD specifically wanted Willy to assume a much more direct leadership role.  But what if Skinner had the "loyalty" of a lot of the younger Canes who were here before Willy came on board? Thinking out loud here, not arguing the point . . .

• Like 1