The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

58 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yes, but (thinking out loud also) it could have worked the other way: On a team this young, give the kid who was challenged to change his game and did and was successful because of it the C, and let Willy back him up. I think in the end organizational nostalgia won out, and wouldn't be surprised if the inevitability of that is what prompted BP to move on.

And the C to a guy whose career is almost over compared to a guy whose career is still rising and has more longevity.

31 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Do you think that it was as you put it, "organizational nostalgia", or flat out "man crush" of owner for a hockey semi-legend (Brind'Amour)? Just a further thought on this troubling mess?

Well now that TD is the organization, I really don't see much distinction there. All it took for TD to buy into the Legend of Rod was a walk through the concourse, where his mug is plastered on every third pillar. Add to that Rod's undisputed skill as a motivational speaker; his ability to fire people up surely gave his opinions more weight, among the committee, with TD.

Anyone paying attention knows Rod has not liked Skinner for a very long time, IMO because - much like Eric Staal - Skinner has natural ability as a player that Rod lacked, and therefore didn't have to work as hard off the ice as Rod did, to get results on the ice. I think that bias is why, when BP floated Skinner as C, Rod went to his buddy Ron to make sure it didn't happen. And so, the minute Rod got the bench, it was a foregone conclusion that Skinner would no longer have a place on it.

46 minutes ago, caryhurricanes said:

Facts: we let him go at the wrong time and got very little.  Now he is scoring like we knew he could.  It sucks.  He will get a monster contract because of it.  Good for him.  

Move on.  

You move on. Others will join you when they're ready.

The problem with the org's management for years has been repeating the same mistakes. Maybe pointing out that the Skinner deal is yet another example of that helps correct it, maybe it doesn't. Either way, people have a right to vent. If you don't want to read it, don't read it.

• Like 1

Well if you don't like Friedman, he'd be a messenger worth shooting, as he's keeping with it (especially the Ferland stuff, I really hope that stuff is just posturing, but if he does get moved it better be part of a bigger move to bring a talented forward in here, says me. 

The Carolina Hurricanes and pending UFA Micheal Ferland are not close in contract talks and he’s likely to be moved. The Pittsburgh Penguins and Edmonton Oilers make sense.

The Hurricanes have told teams they won’t make decisions on goaltender Curtis McElhinney and Petr Mrazek just yet.

The Hurricanes are trying to re-sign Jordan Martinook.

Dougie Hamilton is a right-handing scoring defenseman with trade value. Contending teams are looking for this and the Hurricanes need scoring forwards.

This is from my nhl trade rumors (I did not pull it from the Atlantic). It is a pretty interesting list by Craig Custance. Interesting in part because of #5 and #13, but also because there are some skilled forwards on that list for us to try for too. Also, Friedman speculates that Duchene is likely to be traded. Yes, it would be assumed to be a rental I'm guessing, but maybe could be signed.

Top 20 players who could be traded at the NHL trade deadline

Craig Custance of The Athletic: Some GMs are saying it’s a buyers market right now.

1. Artemi Panarin – Columbus Blue Jackets

2. Matt Duchene – Ottawa Senators

3. Mark Stone – Ottawa Senators

4. Kevin Hayes – New York Rangers

5. Dougie Hamilton – Carolina Hurricanes

6. Wayne Simmonds – Philadelphia Flyers

7. Chris Kreider – New York Rangers

8. Brayden Schenn – St. Louis Blues

9. Jake Muzzin – Los Angeles Kings

10. Gustav Nyquist – Detroit Red Wings

11. Jesse Puljujarvi – Edmonton Oilers

12. Timothy Liljegren – Toronto Maple Leafs

13. Micheal Ferland – Carolina Hurricanes

14. Mats Zuccarello – New York Rangers

15. Nino Niederreiter – Minnesota Wild

16. Jimmy Howard – Detroit Red Wings

17. Andre Burakovsky – Washington Capitals

18. Trevor Daley – Detroit Red Wings

19. Alec Martinez – Los Angeles Kings

20. Nick Jensen – Detroit Red Wings

Friedman leaning towards Duchene getting traded

Crunch time committee, if you're serious about this playoff run like the players are then Hamilton need's to be moved for a top 6 forward before you deal Ferland for an inevitable pick.

• Like 1

If some of ya'lls hopes and dreams remain to obtain Bob, he's been scratched for an incident not meeting team values and expectations. 

He's ****** off with a fairly decent team, come to Carolina and be ****** at everything. 

Edit: Really? That word?

Edited by legend-1

12 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

he did say he wont allow the past to mess up what they are building. He wont go make a move to make a move because we haven’t made the playoffs in 9 years.

To date he is following the exact mold of PK and RF. Now is the time to make some type of move while we still have a small chance of moving forward. RF loved to play the waiting game and would state he was all in until we lost 4 out of 5. It was then time to throw up the white flag. TD has shown no pulse. Make a trade,sign some internal players,show some type of sign he's not watching video games in his warm up suit. There currently is no sign of the direction that he wants to build with this organization, outside of winning lottery picks and gaining profits from Whaler trinkets. Show a pulse.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, remkin said:

This is from my nhl trade rumors (I did not pull it from the Atlantic). It is a pretty interesting list by Craig Custance. Interesting in part because of #5 and #13, but also because there are some skilled forwards on that list for us to try for too. Also, Friedman speculates that Duchene is likely to be traded. Yes, it would be assumed to be a rental I'm guessing, but maybe could be signed.

Top 20 players who could be traded at the NHL trade deadline

Craig Custance of The Athletic: Some GMs are saying it’s a buyers market right now.

There are lots of notes in the link to Custance’s piece and it’s definitely worth the read.

1. Artemi Panarin – Columbus Blue Jackets

2. Matt Duchene – Ottawa Senators

3. Mark Stone – Ottawa Senators

4. Kevin Hayes – New York Rangers

5. Dougie Hamilton – Carolina Hurricanes

6. Wayne Simmonds – Philadelphia Flyers

7. Chris Kreider – New York Rangers

8. Brayden Schenn – St. Louis Blues

9. Jake Muzzin – Los Angeles Kings

10. Gustav Nyquist – Detroit Red Wings

11. Jesse Puljujarvi – Edmonton Oilers

12. Timothy Liljegren – Toronto Maple Leafs

13. Micheal Ferland – Carolina Hurricanes

14. Mats Zuccarello – New York Rangers

15. Nino Niederreiter – Minnesota Wild

16. Jimmy Howard – Detroit Red Wings

17. Andre Burakovsky – Washington Capitals

18. Trevor Daley – Detroit Red Wings

19. Alec Martinez – Los Angeles Kings

20. Nick Jensen – Detroit Red Wings

Friedman leaning towards Duchene getting traded

It has to be a buyers market.  So many great players are pending UFAs.  Plenty of options for teams. 

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

caryhurricanes, I think you make some good points, BUT I think we all have to resign ourselves to the fact that as long as our Canes team seems to remain in its favorite spot of just being out of playoffs, but not bad enough to usually not get a great draft pick, than the debate over Skinner will simmer? Add to that being a "goal starved team" and Skinner's resurgence of goal scoring on his new team, and everyone with a heartbeat will offer their opinion.

Skinner emotes an engaging personality which was/is impossible not to like. As far as one comment you make though, related to his being apart from teammates during warmups, I never perceived that. The image I'll personally never forget is that of him ALWAYS digging pucks out of the net to distribute to the team. Seems strange to see someone else doing that these days. And I'm not sure that any one single player does that exclusively? 

I agree resigned to it 😀.  I guess I can skip the conspiracy posts and finger pointing stuff when I look here.   They all could be right. I guess just as much as the other.  I like skinner too.  Still disgusted with how that was handled.  I just have a hard time believing it was all ego on the part of some vets that seem to have a track record of strong character that was responsible for him being gone.  

How could the Canes trade Ferlsnd or Hamilton?  If they didn’t think they could sign Ferland to an extension, then they should’ve never made that trade.  

Trading Lindholm and Hanifin was a major decision for this team.  There is no way they could justify that trade if they move on from Ferlsnd or Hamilton.

They already screwed up big time by trading Skinner at the wrong time.  No way they can miss on the Calgary trade by trading away those players.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

If some of ya'lls hopes and dreams remain to obtain Bob, he's been scratched for an incident not meeting team values and expectations. 

He's ****** off with a fairly decent team, come to Carolina and be ****** at everything. 

Edit: Really? That word?

Right? Especially when you totally meant it in the Brit sense (drunk... right?? RIGHT!! You're bloody well right...)

35 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

How could the Canes trade Ferlsnd or Hamilton?  If they didn’t think they could sign Ferland to an extension, then they should’ve never made that trade.  

Trading Lindholm and Hanifin was a major decision for this team.  There is no way they could justify that trade if they move on from Ferlsnd or Hamilton.

They already screwed up big time by trading Skinner at the wrong time.  No way they can miss on the Calgary trade by trading away those players.  

Amen. The whole point of getting Hamilton was to move Faulk. If they can't (or won't) move him, now that Hamilton is looking like the guy we thought he could be, and move Hamilton instead, they risk Faulk getting exactly the message that led to his years of anything but defensive efficacy: Your job is safe.

We know for sure that we can't move him when he's stopped playing D. Now that he is again, his value will never be higher, and by moving him, we move the fallout for his next "two steps back" moment - if it happens - onto the acquiring team. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

It has to be a buyers market.  So many great players are pending UFAs.  Plenty of options for teams. 

I know Puljujarvi has been a disappointment, but didn't he have outrageous chemistry with Aho in Karpat and at some tournament that summer they were drafted?  As low as his numbers have been, i wouldn't shake my fist if he could be brought in for a reasonable return.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I know Puljujarvi has been a disappointment, but didn't he have outrageous chemistry with Aho in Karpat and at some tournament that summer they were drafted?  As low as his numbers have been, i wouldn't shake my fist if he could be brought in for a reasonable return.

I was looking at this too. I was shocked at how low his output was. Dilly dilly. 

Could arguably be approaching bust territory (maybe in the Oil's eyes). Go get him. For the right price of course. 

3 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

I was looking at this too. I was shocked at how low his output was. Dilly dilly. 

Could arguably be approaching bust territory (maybe in the Oil's eyes). Go get him. For the right price of course. 

Pennies on the dollar...

46 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

One would think. Anything else would be dysfunctional. But.......?

I’d they trade Ferland or Hamilton, someone from the committee better get on TV, radio, internet, or whatever to explain some things.  The committee has basically been hiding ever since the Skinner trade blew up in their faces.  

When TD purchased the team, he said he wanted the media to hold the team accountable. (Something along those lines). 

There has been nothing but radio silence from upper management all season long for the most part.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

I’d they trade Ferland or Hamilton, someone from the committee better get on TV, radio, internet, or whatever to explain some things.  The committee has basically been hiding ever since the Skinner trade blew up in their faces.  

When TD purchased the team, he said he wanted the media to hold the team accountable. (Something along those lines). 

There has been nothing but radio silence from upper management all season long for the most part.  

Didn't you see the hard hitting, fact filled interview with DW the other day?

:sarcasm:

1 hour ago, sleekfeeder said:

That's why we got Maenalanen. He will be on the top line in the near future, book it.

5 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

The problem with the org's management for years has been repeating the same mistakes. Maybe pointing out that the Skinner deal is yet another example of that helps correct it, maybe it doesn't.

This.

3 hours ago, caryhurricanes said:

I agree resigned to it 😀.  I guess I can skip the conspiracy posts and finger pointing stuff when I look here.   They all could be right. I guess just as much as the other.  I like skinner too.  Still disgusted with how that was handled.  I just have a hard time believing it was all ego on the part of some vets that seem to have a track record of strong character that was responsible for him being gone.  

There is a pretty strong consensus on this board and elsewhere that the Skinner trade was botched big time. Why would you trade your top goal-scorer for a pittance when goal-scoring is exactly what your team needs? We're all looking for some explanation that makes hockey sense, but finding that explanation has been elusive. I don't consider top-shelf's view on this a "conspiracy post" or "finger pointing." It's one possible explanation for what occurred, and a plausible one at that. If top-shelf is correct, then it perhaps explains more than just the Skinner trade. It points to some "culture" or "nostalgia" issues (or whatever you want to call it) that keep holding this organization back year-in and year-out. It signals that really changing the culture here may take more than just getting rid of JR and RF. 

Edited by spyglass88
  • Like 1