The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Fora on waivers.

are we trying to free contract space (not sure why, just throwing out there)?

Fora not accepting a move ECHL? Waivers then release so he can go back home?

Really been so bad lately that he isn’t worth AHL insurance?

With Fluery sent down I expect it was just a roster move. Once he said he wasn't going to the ECHL I guess it forced the Canes hand. Fora has only skated one game. From his point of view he can go back to Europe and play at a higher level than the ECHL. A good chane to take when they signed him that turned out badly. See ya Fora and good luck.

...and soon. Darling will be healthy in the near term. So what.

So what changes when he IS ready.

Not much.

The only reason Ny comes to Carolina is to (maybe) play golf in February.  

That’s a pipe dream.

We need a G. And he needs a name.

Fast.

But who?

Thoughts?

Not sure how to phrase this, but the saying "the grass is always greener on the other side" comes to mind in the Faulk + for Nylander trade situation. A few points to add to this.

1.Somebody tell me what Faulk has added to this team to this point in the season that would argue to not trade him. Yes, I'll concede he seems to be playing SLIGHTLY better,   but still makes boneheaded mistakes. And the real argument for his value is his "booming shot" from the point which seems to have fizzled out to my eyes?

2.Nylander's ANTICIPATED offensive value to a team obviously in need is extremely tempting, but in this(our) setting, if Toronto would even consider trading him, and that's a big IF, is not guaranteed.

3.Finally, how does Nylander's preference play into all this? Would he accept a deal with a team that is on the cusp of even getting into this year's playoffs as opposed to a team that has a real shot at contending for the cup? Lesser salary as well as lesser status vs more of each in a much more unpredictable environment down south? Is he the type of person attracted to challenges, or almost sure things?

These things cross my mind, and quite frankly, IDK. I'm tempted to strongly support a trade, if it could be put together, but if top and others are correct as I suppose they are, and Toronto is truly in the driver's seat on this, are we just shooting ourselves in the foot by giving up way to much after so long on the outside to just see a fleeting glimmer of "green grass"? 

Ottawa Sun,Garrioch Sunday

Not really sure what to make of this, but have been told by a couple of league executives the Carolina Hurricanes are open for business. Given the fact they’ve got off to a 4-3-1 start, you’d have to think GM Don Waddell is willing to add and there’s been no shortage of talk that they called the Leafs to express interest in Nylander.

15 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

3.Finally, how does Nylander's preference play into all this? Would he accept a deal with a team that is on the cusp of even getting into this year's playoffs as opposed to a team that has a real shot at contending for the cup?

If being on a playoff bound team was the motivating factor I think he would already have signed a bridge deal with Toronto. Money seems to be the motivation. Would he accept a bridge deal from us? Would he commit long term with us? I think Nylander is just as likely to take his game to Europe in the short term.

It is becoming apparent hat the Leafs want a shut down Dman. No matter what you think of Faulk or Hamilton they aren't that. That leaves Slavin, Pesce. deHann, TVR as trade bait. It won't be Slavin, deHann skates left side so I doubt it is him, TVR alone won't do it so that leaves Pesce.

Waddell has shown he can make the unexpected trade so maybe he has other plans but from my uneducated view I think the question is can we move a quality Dman in Pesce for a needed scorer and not degrade our defense. I'm not sure.

As we close in on December and if Nylander still isn't signed the Leafs price could drop or change but I wouldn't make book on it.

I'm in on trying for Nylander for reasons I've stated, but mainly to gain a critical mass of elite talent. This league is fast and in general cup teams have several high end scorers, and a good goalie, but on D you typically need one stud, a couple of strong under the radar types, and the rest can be by committee with carefully chosen guys. 

But Nylander is just one option. He's the most elite, and most obvious one, but there have been others before and probably are others we're not thinking of.

We are open for business IMO because we never finished the business of moving Faulk, and this young team needs another proven NHL scoring forward this year. Necas to Charlotte, Rask's trauma, and Zykov staring slow just push the issue even more. I'll admit that Faulk is looking better at the start of this year, but I'm short on Faulk in the long run. I'm hoping he's raising his trade value. 

We want Nylander. But we don't really want to trade Pesce (nor do I. I would begrudgingly do it for Nylander, but I like Pesce a lot and in a ideal world do not want to move him). So I would not be at all surprised if we end up making a different move that involves Faulk for someone else.

Outside of the Nylander talk:

Its good to hear that we aren’t settling and that we like our group.  Hopefully the group think prevents a rash decision to change.

Might boost their motivation.  

• Like 1

Pretty hard not to take offense, but sure. I guess I can appreciate that you're paying attention to my posts.

But there were some changes mentioned in with the old themes there. The team saying that they are still open for business is new. I assume that most thought we might be done for a while. Also, at least one key guy we thought would be part of the offensive production was just sent down, and the team is suddenly struggling for offense, and has struggled in a key skill part of the game, the PP.  Taken together, it all suggests we are seriously looking to make a move, something that was not clear until now.

It's up to you to regulate your sensitive meter. :)  Also, I never said I didn't appreciate your point of view, because I do.  You've actually made a good argument for trading away Pesce if that is what it takes.

I'd also love to have Nylander and it's been reported the Canes have interest in Nylander for many weeks now. But yeah, the new report, in light of the current situation, it does feel different, and if so I'm glad to hear the Canes not being the old Canes and sitting on their hands.

I'm so back and fourth on trading Pesce - that's a tough call.  But if there were ever two teams that could make a hockey trade, it seems pretty obvious the Canes and the Leafs could probably work out something. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

32 minutes ago, remkin said:

Pretty hard not to take offense, but sure. I guess I can appreciate that you're paying attention to my posts.

But there were some changes mentioned in with the old themes there. The team saying that they are still open for business is new. I assume that most thought we might be done for a while. Also, at least one key guy we thought would be part of the offensive production was just sent down, and the team is suddenly struggling for offense, and has struggled in a key skill part of the game, the PP.  Taken together, it all suggests we are seriously looking to make a move, something that was not clear until now.

Ironically rem, "sensitivity meters" work both ways? And I for one enjoy your missives even if I have to devote 10 minutes to read thru a few, haha.

You really had me until you went on about the spamming. 

I appreciate the fact that there is some redundancy. I’m even open to criticism I just said it’s hard not to take offense.

There are reasons for some redundancy, but I can get excessive and your point is actually well taken.

But my point is that we all do it present company included, And pulling out a rule about spamming is a bridge too far.

Nope, I don't deliberately cross-post to that extent, never have.  To your point, I did take down the post, as spamming has nothing whatsoever to do with anything. Are we are on the same page now?

You were getting me all depressed.  I don't need any more help with that.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Great move you two. We need to pull together this year so we can get into playoffs!!! Nobody should be depressed, except me on Nov. 3rd???

Edited by KJUNKANE

Gotta love social media.

bunch of Nylander trade polls popping up.

had one where the proposal is:

Nylander for Pesce and Necas.

the highest chosen option was Toronto says No.

I about fell out of my chair. :rofl:

i dont think i would do Faulk and Necas.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Gotta love social media.

bunch of Nylander trade polls popping up.

had one where the proposal is:

Nylander for Pesce and Necas.

the highest chosen option was Toronto says No.

I about fell out of my chair. :rofl:

i dont think i would do Faulk and Necas.

Well here we can agree again. Pesce for Nyander would be tough to swallow. Maybe Pesce plus a second rounder or B prospect. But Pesce plus Necas? Insane IMO. Necas could be as good or even possibly better than Nylander before too long. We need to add to Necas on our team, not give him away. And the Toronto fans said "no"? They are supposed to live and breathe hockey and be the most informed fans out there, but homerism apparently knows no bounds.

• Like 1

I’m telling you. The only deal that brings Nylander to Carolina is free beer promo at Pinehurst #2 on a 65 degree day in February. 

The boy ain’t gonna be dressing-out in our room.

It's always a pretty safe bet to say a rumored trade isn't going to happen, since so many rumors fly for every one trade that actually happens. At this point it would seem that Toronto is in no huge hurry. The team is rocking and they have until December 1 to keep him eligible for this year. Given how tough it is going to be to fit Nylander in with the other Big Three, it makes sense that Dubas will let this go on until Nyander either relents, or the Dec 1 deadline starts to loom. 

He has around 6 weeks. 

It is most likely that they will come up with a deal, possibly in that last week. But until then, we can speculate, especially since we are "open for business".

Offer de Haan and TVR. They get a D-first pairing. If that's not enough, to hell with them.

Then bring up Fleury and McKeown, two who should be up here anyway. The only downside is Faulk is still here, but big ups because we keep our shutdown pairing on the roster.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Safe speculation about Ny coming here? 

More like pragmatic. That's the term that comes to my mind.

But I see your point and it’s a good darned good one.

If we are truly open for “business”, and we have some MBAs in the front office, a simple SWOT

(strength/weakness/opportunity/threat) session will flag net-minding, argueably over special teams at the moment, in the W and T columns.

Clearly Dundon is a ‘bid-ness’ prodigy. I mean who gets that rich wearing a ball cap 24/7 ... without knowing his stuff, right?

And Roddy? My guess is, in about 15 years he will be mentioned in conversations that include the likes of Bowman, Queenie, Arbour, et. al. At least I hope so!  There is not a better leader out there, for our particular room. IMHO. Same can be said about Jeff Daniels.

So as I sit here putting the Canes jigsaw puzzle together, the goalie piece must have fallen under the couch. I can’t find it.

Dundon could, though.

McE is a great story, but won’t make it above the fold. Same with  Mraz. Darling? Meh.

We need a G, boys. We need a G.

12 hours ago, Porter100 said:

We need a G, boys. We need a G.

We need a PP and a PK. You say a SWOT would flag goaltending "arguably" over PK and PP. I'd like to hear your argument. Here's mine.

We're dead last in both PK and PP, and in the three games since the 4-0-1 start, have zero PP goals (despite ample opportunities), have scored four goals total, and have allowed 40 percent of opposition scoring (4 of 10 goals) on their PP or on our own (the Bolts' shorty).

Mrazek and Mac have made more clutch saves in eight games than Cam Ward did in the last eight years. I want Bobs or Varlamov as much as the next guy. But you can't get what's not on the market. We've got two guys on one-year deals for a reason, and for now, I'll take their clutch saves, and the confidence they provide that if we can score goals and win special teams, they will bail us out at even strength when called on to do so, because they are, quite literally, playing to keep their jobs. 

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 2

This made me smile.