The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

From my nhl trade rumors: Just to keep this alive...

Scouting the Maple Leafs

Lance Hornby of the Toronto Sun: There were five teams that had two scouts each at the Maple Leafs-Penguins game on Thursday – Carolina Hurricanes, New Jersey Devils, New York Rangers, Tampa Bay Lightning, and the St. Louis Blues (played the Leafs on Saturday). The Hurricanes have been long speculated as a potential trading partner as they are deep on the blueline, with Justin Faulk‘s name being mentioned.

I was just reading Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts. He points out we dress (obvious to us) four right shot defensemen. He says,that type of player is always in demand. There sure is a lot of smoke around us and Nylander. For us moving Faulk is probable the easiest for us to be able to realign our D. I'm still not convinced that is what Toronto wants.

35 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Another take on all this trade speculation

Why the Carolina Hurricanes Might Not Trade a Defenseman After All

What is "Featured"? Just trying to figure out the bonefides of the author. He's basically saying we might not need to move a defenseman because the trade market is slow and Nylander may not be available.

Then suggests we could trade a back up goalie or our extra second round pick for a forward instead. 

We don't need marginal forwards. We need to add serious talent. If not, we have other guys. In order to get the type of guy we want, we're going to have to trade an existing player (possibly plus the extra pick and back up and/or a prospect). Sure, we can stand pat (though the "open for business" sign suggests we don't want to), but trading low round picks or prospects or back up goalies? Doesn't fit the plan IMO. Of course I'm not on the committee. 

I had to put this down since it kicked around in my head. I know we are not going to do this right now, since Darling is the great hope, but if we carry three for a while and Darling does struggle, couldn't we waive Darling? Maybe someone picks up the contract. If not, he could be sent down for a while, until one of Mrazek or McE establishes himself. Then we could eventually call Darling back up and waive the other guy. 

I just hate to lose any of these goalies, and am not convinced of Darling's renaissance. 

This would probably terminally mess with Darling's head, and of course paying a guy millions to play in the AHL is no kind of long term solution, but it would let us carry 3 for a while longer....

This is probably not a good idea, but just floating it to see what people think. 

It's just an opinion piece. -Featured is a free content exchange

Lyle Richardson is    Freelance Writer at Sporting News, NHL Columnist at The Guardian Newspaper, Freelance Writer at My NHL Trade Rumors, Freelance NHL Rumor

I neither advocate or detract from the writers opinion. It is as I said only another take on the trade speculation that seems to be gathering attention around the hockey world.

When a GM says we are open for business he opens the team up to opinions from everyone.

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

I just hate to lose any of these goalies

My feeling is we won't carry three goalies very long based on Brindy's comment. I have already braced myself that we will lose one. I doubt any clear waivers especially McE who I will guess will be snapped back up by Toronto.  A trade is certainly a possibility.

40 minutes ago, remkin said:

but if we carry three for a while and Darling does struggle, couldn't we waive Darling? Maybe someone picks up the contract.

I still say he returns to Chicago. The only question in my mind is how soon.

8 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I still say he returns to Chicago. The only question in my mind is how soon.

saad scratched. One bad contract for another? They save 1.9 million a year off it.

Edited by gocanes0506

18 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

We need a PP and a PK. You say a SWOT would flag goaltending "arguably" over PK and PP. I'd like to hear your argument. Here's mine.

We're dead last in both PK and PP, and in the three games since the 4-0-1 start, have zero PP goals (despite ample opportunities), have scored four goals total, and have allowed 40 percent of opposition scoring (4 of 10 goals) on their PP or on our own (the Bolts' shorty).

Mrazek and Mac have made more clutch saves in eight games than Cam Ward did in the last eight years. I want Bobs or Varlamov as much as the next guy. But you can't get what's not on the market. We've got two guys on one-year deals for a reason, and for now, I'll take their clutch saves, and the confidence they provide that if we can score goals and win special teams, they will bail us out at even strength when called on to do so, because they are, quite literally, playing to keep their jobs. 

I hear ya. 

And maybe you have me on my own SWOT arguement, with the exception of the O component...

So instead of the MBA approach, let’s for a moment, close the stat books and talk about “mo”...the elusive, intangible aspect of momentum.

PP and PK success is in the room somewhere already, brother!  Roddy just needs to find the magic sauce. And it ain’t in Toronto.  It’s in his own building!  Young kids. Young season. Young HC. It will happen without having to shop around.

What’s not in the locker room? A goalie the kids believe in. Period. And I’m counting all three of ‘em.

Pretend McE doesn’t let that softie in. Knotted up at zero. Boom. Our PP finally works! Horn blares. The lads go nuts. Then we have a good PK game ‘cause we are rocking.  Why not!!??Right?! It’s MO time...

Ferley hangs a beatdown (not pretend) on some moron that tries to fight him.

Rocking ON more!!! Heck yeah! Thin crowd but loud now!

The rest is (not) history.

But for that pesky soft goal.  They are always the brown object in the punch bowl.  And if the G situation doesn’t get sorted, well. You get my drift.

BUT IF A FROG HAS WINGS HE WOULDNT BUMP HIS BUTT.

Right???

2 hours ago, Porter100 said:

I hear ya. 

And maybe you have me on my own SWOT arguement, with the exception of the O component...

So instead of the MBA approach, let’s for a moment, close the stat books and talk about “mo”...the elusive, intangible aspect of momentum.

PP and PK success is in the room somewhere already, brother!  Roddy just needs to find the magic sauce. And it ain’t in Toronto.  It’s in his own building!  Young kids. Young season. Young HC. It will happen without having to shop around.

What’s not in the locker room? A goalie the kids believe in. Period. And I’m counting all three of ‘em.

Pretend McE doesn’t let that softie in. Knotted up at zero. Boom. Our PP finally works! Horn blares. The lads go nuts. Then we have a good PK game ‘cause we are rocking.  Why not!!??Right?! It’s MO time...

Ferley hangs a beatdown (not pretend) on some moron that tries to fight him.

Rocking ON more!!! Heck yeah! Thin crowd but loud now!

The rest is (not) history.

But for that pesky soft goal.  They are always the brown object in the punch bowl.  And if the G situation doesn’t get sorted, well. You get my drift.

BUT IF A FROG HAS WINGS HE WOULDNT BUMP HIS BUTT.

Right???

Funny, and points taken.

For the record, I've never been on the Nylander bandwagon. Didn't want Duche or Drouin either. I believe we have what we need in the room too, it's just that I include the keepers--because I really have no choice, yeah (see my OP re availability) but also because between the both of them, they have allowed far fewer softies - and made a bunch more game-saving saves - to this point than either of the two we had last year (check out Cam's stats for a refresher of exactly what he is not capable of early every season: a GAA below 4).

I don't think this group comes back in those early games without the goaltending it got at critical moments, and I also think the effects of one softie on a team are (always, it's not just you) overblown. Two or three really bad goals in one game is a different story, but let's be honest: the team came out flat against the Avs and the game was over after Skog's first goal. It was the first really bad effort of the year, eight games in. That's an exponential improvement over anything this team has done to start a season in a very long time.

• Like 1

You bottomed-lined the Saturday game better than me. You’re spot on. The boys were flat. And interestingly I had a sinking feeling after their first goal. Just felt like a loss right then and there.

As far as softies, I was a lacrosse coach and saw time and time again how they deflate the lads.  But here’s the deal on that... was it a kid problem when they let it get n their heads.? Or was it me poking out my bottom lip as a coach, and the kids feeding off that.

In reflection and retrospect, it was probably a coaching weakness of mine...

But man it hacked me off when easy ones hit the back of the net :(

Old habits die hard! Ha.

But wow! Compared to recent memory this stuff is exhilarating! 

Whereas in seasons past there WERE no fine points to debate... only large and systemically ugly issues.

But this year???

I MEAN HOW GOOD IS IT to be befuddled by speculation on getting a deal done to get a kid like Ny!?

And further, and more remarkable, how sweet it is to be able to wonder where he would actually FIT with the studs we already have this year!!! 

Great problem to have, right!!?? Ha.

On balance, splendid stuff!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Porter100 said:

As far as softies, I was a lacrosse coach and saw time and time again how they deflate the lads.  But here’s the deal on that... was it a kid problem when they let it get n their heads.? Or was it me poking out my bottom lip as a coach, and the kids feeding off that.

I feel ya. Lacrosse is a great comparative, sounds like we have similar experience, except mine was in hockey and I was the kid you were pursing your lip at :lol:

What's easy to forget when comparing youth sports to these guys is that they have all won so much, and that's before they ever get here. You just don't get to this level if you haven't been extremely successful and done the work and battled through awful games to find a way to win. Put a bunch of guys with that kind of broad and deep experience in the same league and the difference between a great night and a good night an awful night is razor thin.

It's why the Canes, terrible as they were the last eight years, never got high picks. They were terrible if you were a fan, but in the bigger scheme of the NHL, they were competitive more nights than not. That indicates to me that a strong work ethic has survived in this franchise. Coupled with some actual talent and Roddy's insistence, I think good things are about to happen.

14 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I believe we have what we need in the room too

I like our group?  Sorry could not resist.  And I DO like our group.

Nylander wants 8.5 million from Toronto.  Comparable contract to here would be 7 million (Raleigh costs about 82% of what it costs to line in Toronto).  I think we could even spring for 7.25 to make up for the taxes he would incur from playing in other cities.

5 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Nylander wants 8.5 million from Toronto.  Comparable contract to here would be 7 million (Raleigh costs about 82% of what it costs to line in Toronto).  I think we could even spring for 7.25 to make up for the taxes he would incur from playing in other cities.

I’m all for getting Nylander if we can extend him, but if you pay him something like $7.5 million times 7 years, where does that leave us negotiating with Aho? I wish we could get Aho signed sooner than later. It looks like the price is only going up.

24 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Nylander doesn't have a single point this season.  Not even one!  Value is diminishing.  Faulk for Nylander.

Ah, if only you could set a trade without needing the other sides agreement.

24 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I want some of Nylander's magic beans.

I wonder how much Draisaitl's contract might have influenced expectations for someone like Nylander, espeically when you're talking a long term deal?

3 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Roy is getting his shot in Raleigh.  He was officially called up today.  Bishop will return to Charlotte.  

interesting.....

He's who I thought might have been called up in the first place.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I wonder how much Draisaitl's contract might have influenced expectations for someone like Nylander, espeically when you're talking a long term deal?

I'd guess right around $8.5 million/year's worth.

Draisaitl has been great on a really bad team. Nylander's been very good on a much better team, has 90 fewer games played, and doesn't (yet) play as heavy a brand of hockey. I just don't pay the kid a nickel more than $6 million anytime in the next two years, and if he duplicates or improves upon, here, what he's done so far there, great, let's lock him down. Jordan will be two years closer to retirement, and both the D and G situations will have sorted themselves out.

This team has already shown it can skate with the best teams in hockey, in spite of glaring deficiencies on the PP and PK in those particular games. If Nylander is going to insist on his payoff now, I stay away for the longer-term good of the organization (*cough*EricStaal*cough*Cam Ward"cough*).  

53 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

He's who I thought might have been called up in the first place.

I figured they were trying to minimize the amount of rookies.  Im guessing they are going for scoring now.