The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

On Gauthier, he has started to heat up his goal scoring. He was a powerhouse scorer in Juniors and there is a theory that big guys in general take longer, and I'd argue that Gauthier has high end skill, and physique, but not so high end hockey IQ. This does suggest that he could be a late bloomer. I have not given up on him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, remkin said:

On Gauthier, he has started to heat up his goal scoring. He was a powerhouse scorer in Juniors and there is a theory that big guys in general take longer, and I'd argue that Gauthier has high end skill, and physique, but not so high end hockey IQ. This does suggest that he could be a late bloomer. I have not given up on him.

Me either, and I'm not sure his hockey IQ is low. I think the speed he's been trying to play at, and his failure to do so until recently, have made him look like he has a low hockey IQ. But I think that once he's up to speed he might look very smart. Here's hoping.

This occurred to me: Maybe it wasn't anything Zyk said or did, but what he didn't do. Maybe Rod just knew he'd never bring the heavy like Ferland. I do think (and hope) there's a realization that TT and Aho need a big wing to open up their opportunities who will use his body and intimidation to do it, and though he did hit some, maybe Rod decided that for a guy 6'-1" 224, Zyk wasn't using his frame like he could.

Here's hoping on that, too; it would bode well for a Ferland signing.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Ferland has quickly become a fan favorite and if he is moved without a valued return the wagging tongues are gonna light up TD and DW. The committee should have advanced targets identified for the off season and a realistic opinion on what their chances are in succeeding. Yes it is months away and a lot can change but they at least should have a gut feel. If they feel their chances are mediocre then sign Ferland and the NN trade looks even better. We have the Cap,TD has the money....just do it.

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

This occurred to me: Maybe it wasn't anything Zyk said or did, but what he didn't do. Maybe Rod just knew he'd never bring the heavy like Ferland. I do think (and hope) there's a realization that TT and Aho need a big wing to open up their opportunities who will use his body and intimidation to do it, and though he did hit some, maybe Rod decided that for a guy 6'-1" 224, Zyk wasn't using his frame like he could.

Here's hoping on that, too; it would bode well for a Ferland signing.

I agree he wasn't hitting enough or going to the net enough but it was a small sample size.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

I agree he wasn't hitting enough or going to the net enough but it was a small sample size.

Definitely. I'd have liked to have seen him longer too.

I think something we'll never know was going on there, he's not sticking anywhere else either.

However, I still woulda liked to see him traded rather then given away he did have value at the beginning of all this.

I think the committee better have a trade in the works because if I'm a FA I see crud like the last two games I'm staying the heck away from this team.

20 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

I think the committee better have a trade in the works because if I'm a FA I see crud like the last two games I'm staying the heck away from this team.

Then at least we’re not Anaheim

If we're not even talking to Ferland anymore, I think the team should kindly request Ferland stop dropping the gloves. If he gets another concussion, we're going to have even more pie on our faces then originally anticipated.

Thanks, but no thanks. Stop putting yourself in situations where your value could go to 0.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 3

Typical Canes.  Play hard to win 5 in a row.  Then proceed to think they are better than they really and think they can win just by showing up....

then they are right back where they started.

The problem of being under talented ( in this case up front): to win you have to outwork the other guys. every night. When the coach says (which pretty much all of our coaches have said for 10+ years) that we can't win if we don't outwork the other guys, what he's also saying is that we don't have enough talent. But the problem with having to outwork the other guys to win, is maintaining that long enough to stay at the playoff pace, let alone close a big gap to get there then continue to maintain a playoff pace by having to outwork every team, every night. It is next to impossible. The other guys aren't going to let up every night. They are trying too.

(And even if they do let up, their back up goalies usually make up the slack).

It is true that talented teams can lose due to poor effort. But the idea that low talent teams can just buckle up the chin strap and outwork every other team in the NHL night in and night out, is the longest of shots. If anything we Canes fans should know that by now. 

• Like 3

I'm really starting to think it's in Necas' best interest that he's being sheltered from this season. He got a nice taste of the NHL, and can now just increasingly work on the high end offense of his game in Charlotte as part of a massively winning organization, and hopefully a nice playoff run.

I wonder at some point, later in the season if we'd be better off letting Svech and Foegele get some AHL time to do the same thing. Get in on some winning and work on the O. 

I think Svech is fine in terms of talent, but I do worry that he has to carry his line and hits a rookie wall. As things go down the stretch if we don't use the AHL, we should probably get Svech onto the top line. Maybe after the trade deadline.

I still see a surge from both Necas and Svech next year. Combined with hopefully a new dynamic forward upgrade and NN, and to be honest a good chance that Foegele takes another step up, could be enough.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I'm really starting to think it's in Necas' best interest that he's being sheltered from this season. He got a nice taste of the NHL, and can now just increasingly work on the high end offense of his game in Charlotte as part of a massively winning organization, and hopefully a nice playoff run.

I wonder at some point, later in the season if we'd be better off letting Svech and Foegele get some AHL time to do the same thing. Get in on some winning and work on the O. 

I think Svech is fine in terms of talent, but I do worry that he has to carry his line and hits a rookie wall. As things go down the stretch if we don't use the AHL, we should probably get Svech onto the top line. Maybe after the trade deadline.

I still see a surge from both Necas and Svech next year. Combined with hopefully a new dynamic forward upgrade and NN, and to be honest a good chance that Foegele takes another step up, could be enough.

Svech can’t have AHL time this year or next.  He has to take his lumps in the NHL.  Now if he had stayed in Europe it would be a different story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

The only reason keeping Necas in Charlotte, IMO, is if it delays service time, excluding him from having to protect during the eventual Seattle expansion draft.  I am too lazy to research the particulars on that, but maybe it would not even apply.  If that ids not the reason, and with the Canes lack of RH shooters up front, and the newly created void in the middle, getting Necas NHL experience seems like the way to go.  No?

Edited by beboplar

17 minutes ago, beboplar said:

The only reason keeping Necas in Charlotte, IMO, is if it delays service time, excluding him from having to protect during the eventual Seattle expansion draft.  I am too lazy to research the particulars on that, but maybe it would not even apply.  If that ids not the reason, and with the Canes lack of RH shooters up front, and the newly created void in the middle, getting Necas NHL experience seems like the way to go.  No?

In addition to exempting him from the expansion draft, keeping Necas in Charlotte allows the Canes to slide his ELC for a year.  If Necas might be enough to put is in the playoffs this season, I'd say screw the slide and worry about the expansion draft when that time comes.  But unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the case. :(

(from CapFriendly)

What is an Entry Level Slide?

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19.

46 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

In addition to exempting him from the expansion draft, keeping Necas in Charlotte allows the Canes to slide his ELC for a year.  If Necas might be enough to put is in the playoffs this season, I'd say screw the slide and worry about the expansion draft when that time comes.  But unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the case. :(

(from CapFriendly)

What is an Entry Level Slide?

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19.

Thanks for that clarification.  Both the slide and the expansion draft protection may enter into management's thinking.  I think the Canes will have to be protecting both forwards and defensemen, since if I were part of that committee I would prioritize both Slavin and Pesce (Fox, if he signs, and Bean possibly also), so if we get Aho, TT, and Ferland to sign extensions, plus having to protect Jordan Staal due to his NTC, we are up against the numbers.

Keeping Necas down was smart. Hope he pounds the cheeseburgers in the off season. He needs more strength and weight or he'll  weigh 105 at the end of an 80+ game season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Svech can’t have AHL time this year or next.  He has to take his lumps in the NHL.  Now if he had stayed in Europe it would be a different story.

Good point. I knew that too. But don't get me started on the NHL - Canadian Junior hockey deal again. OK, just this once. Just one area that there could be an exception would be a guy like Svech. Say a guy governed by that deal puts in some minimum number of NHL games. At that point the guy is a Pro and should be entirely the province of the team that drafted him. Make it a high number, say 35 NHL games. Once a guy has that many NHL games the idea of going back to junior hockey is patently ridiculous. So why force him to do that? 

Teams could not really misuse this because that's a lot of games, and burns a year anyways. Then a guy like Svech could go down for brief stints in the AHL, which could do him good. This does not have the player's best interest at all.

If I were in charge.... 

2 hours ago, beboplar said:

Thanks for that clarification.  Both the slide and the expansion draft protection may enter into management's thinking.  I think the Canes will have to be protecting both forwards and defensemen, since if I were part of that committee I would prioritize both Slavin and Pesce (Fox, if he signs, and Bean possibly also), so if we get Aho, TT, and Ferland to sign extensions, plus having to protect Jordan Staal due to his NTC, we are up against the numbers.

Yes. And this makes sense now more than ever. 

Now if you ask me if it were purely about Necas's development, I'd let him "slide" back and forth from Raleigh to Charlotte this year, finishing out in Charlotte for their playoff run. 

I just like the idea of guys working on stuff in Charlotte, trying it out some in the NHL, then going back down, and repeating that. It keeps a guy like Necas from getting too caught up in the psyche of a non playoff team, but still testing himself in the league he will play in next year. Also, guys often come up, and think they can't give anything up or make any mistakes, and their game can get a bit stifled in the NHL, whereas they have more freedom to create on top lines in the AHL.

But is this worth exposing Necas to the entry draft or burning a year of entry contract? Not if we're out of the playoffs given the double bonus of the year of contract and protection from the entry draft. Hard to see anything but him staying in Charlotte now.

43 minutes ago, remkin said:

Good point. I knew that too. But don't get me started on the NHL - Canadian Junior hockey deal again. OK, just this once. Just one area that there could be an exception would be a guy like Svech. Say a guy governed by that deal puts in some minimum number of NHL games. At that point the guy is a Pro and should be entirely the province of the team that drafted him. Make it a high number, say 35 NHL games. Once a guy has that many NHL games the idea of going back to junior hockey is patently ridiculous. So why force him to do that? 

Teams could not really misuse this because that's a lot of games, and burns a year anyways. Then a guy like Svech could go down for brief stints in the AHL, which could do him good. This does not have the player's best interest at all.

If I were in charge.... 

I would like to see a a 1 person exception a year per franchise.  I think Mattheos isn’t gaining much in Juniors either.  

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

As to moving D for O, which, yes seems harder than discovering cold fusion, but is the move, the last two from Shaya's 10 thoughts in Charlotte: (add to this the hopeful signing of Fox and I really think we could trade 2 defensemen sooner than later).

9. Jake Bean has the most points amongst rookie defenseman in the league. With six points in his last seven games, you can tell he's growing more confident with each game. His progress is moving at a seemingly exponential rate. Imagine what he will be playing like after a summer of training and one year of pro hockey under his belt. 

10. Speaking of defensemen, in my estimation there is little doubt that Haydn Fleury is well suited to be an NHL defenseman right now. The most underappreciated aspect of his game is that he's tough to play against. He uses his size and isn't afraid to get his hands dirty. He's a smart kid and loves being around the game. You can't have too many guys like him around.