The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

Haven't posted in years, so my hockey IQ has deteriorated.  Given that shortcoming, trading defense for offense could maybe lead us to the Blues. Go after Tarasenko for scoring and as a mentor to Svech. He's having a bit of an off year but has picked up lately....still would be 2nd in goals on the Canes.  Send Hamilton, roster player and a prospect (not Necas). Go after Duchene with our 1st round pick, one of Bishop/McKegg/Wallmark, with the intention of TD to open his checkbook to sign him.

Ferland/Aho/TT (If we lose Ferland at Deadline, maybe move NN there until next year)

Svech/Duchene/Tarasenko

NN/Staal/Williams

?? / ?? / ??  (You Pick 'em)

21 minutes ago, Bill_B said:

Haven't posted in years, so my hockey IQ has deteriorated.  Given that shortcoming, trading defense for offense could maybe lead us to the Blues. Go after Tarasenko for scoring and as a mentor to Svech. He's having a bit of an off year but has picked up lately....still would be 2nd in goals on the Canes.  Send Hamilton, roster player and a prospect (not Necas). Go after Duchene with our 1st round pick, one of Bishop/McKegg/Wallmark, with the intention of TD to open his checkbook to sign him.

Ferland/Aho/TT (If we lose Ferland at Deadline, maybe move NN there until next year)

Svech/Duchene/Tarasenko

NN/Staal/Williams

While I would absolutely love if these scenarios happened, there is a bit of a flaw in how you get to your conclusion.  When it comes to STL, they are in a similar situation as Carolina is, which is low on offense and strong on RHD.  Doesn't make too much sense on their end to trade their most talented offensive player for a position of strength.  The odd thing about STL is they were heavily speculated as being interested in Hamilton during the offseason, but probably not a the cost of Tarasenko.

As far as Duchene, I would even add to the package you offered to get him, if it were a guarantee that he extends here.  It is heavily rumored that he wants to test free agency.  He knows he's going to be the most sought-after UFA, and he could likely sign a bigger contract on July 1 than any offer currently being thrown at him.  We would turn into, well the Ottawa Senators if we were to trade a lottery pick for a guy that won't sign.  This franchise is not in a position to make that kind of a gamble.

• Like 1

Fluery back for the road trip

the Hurricanes have recalled Haydn Fleury from Charlotte.

Fleury skated in seven games for the Checkers during his most recent stint with the team, logging a pair of assists

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

So who’s getting scratched?

Good question. I will guess Fluery sits tonight but might skate in for TVR in the next game. I'm also not convinced the lines we used in practice yesterday is how game time lines will be set.

10 hours ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

While I would absolutely love if these scenarios happened, there is a bit of a flaw in how you get to your conclusion.  When it comes to STL, they are in a similar situation as Carolina is, which is low on offense and strong on RHD.  Doesn't make too much sense on their end to trade their most talented offensive player for a position of strength.  The odd thing about STL is they were heavily speculated as being interested in Hamilton during the offseason, but probably not a the cost of Tarasenko.

As far as Duchene, I would even add to the package you offered to get him, if it were a guarantee that he extends here.  It is heavily rumored that he wants to test free agency.  He knows he's going to be the most sought-after UFA, and he could likely sign a bigger contract on July 1 than any offer currently being thrown at him.  We would turn into, well the Ottawa Senators if we were to trade a lottery pick for a guy that won't sign.  This franchise is not in a position to make that kind of a gamble.

I can't claim the Tarasenko thought. I read it recently on one of the rumor rags, maybe Friedmann's, and thought that would make sense as Svech seems to be hitting a rookie wall and maybe a high-end Russian mentor would benefit him while adding scoring. And the sourcing said the Blues were still very interested in Hamilton. and Tarasenko was having an off-year for him...like Skinner last year, I guess, but he seems to be back to form the past few games. The Duchene wishful thinking is just that and yes I would want the Canes to have some assurances that they could sign him long-term .... maybe a sign & trade deal with OTT, like other sports.. We have cap and TD will have to open his purse to sign the current top linemates, that we know have chemistry, and to overpay a top center to come to Raleigh vs a big market team. Tarasenko has years on his contract and no NTC/NMC.

23 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Good question. I will guess Fluery sits tonight but might skate in for TVR in the next game. I'm also not convinced the lines we used in practice yesterday is how game time lines will be set.

Rumor has it that Edmonton is looking for defense. Maybe we are leaving somebody behind.

1 hour ago, cclifford10 said:

Rumor has it that Edmonton is looking for defense. Maybe we are leaving somebody behind.

....good idea. Then take RNH with us.

1 hour ago, cclifford10 said:

10 minutes ago, Bill_B said:

....good idea. Then take RNH with us.

I'd love that, but apparently the Oil are quite offensively deficient as well.  Different than us in that they are top heavy (McJesus, Drai, and RNH) but with very little depth behind those guys.  Can't see them making it worse by trading RNH.  If we're bringing back an Oiler forward it's more likely Puljujarvi as a reclamation project, or a prospect (Yamamoto?). 

35 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I'd love that, but apparently the Oil are quite offensively deficient as well.  Different than us in that they are top heavy (McJesus, Drai, and RNH) but with very little depth behind those guys.  Can't see them making it worse by trading RNH.  If we're bringing back an Oiler forward it's more likely Puljujarvi as a reclamation project, or a prospect (Yamamoto?). 

I'd be happy leaving with Puljujarvi. He has a lot of historical success with Aho.

28 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

I'd be happy leaving with Puljujarvi. He has a lot of historical success with Aho.

I’d be okay with a futures move with Edmonton, or anyone else, for one of our RHD if we turned it into a three way deal.  

A Faulk/Hamilton to Edmonton for Poolparty/Yamamoto & a first 

then turn around and do a similiar move for a top 4 forward with a seller that we would pay for in UFA.  

A second (conditional 1st if we sign him), plus a prospect, and McGinn to Ottawa for Duchene (pure example here). The management would have to be dedicated to keeping the player to make it worth paying the ransom to get 5 months of negotiating head start. Otherwise just seems like a dumb move. 

The center will give us a month to get into playoff contention and decide whether to sell Ferland/Martinook or add with our additional picks.

FAT

Svech-Duchene-Nino

Foegele-Staal-Williams

Maenalenan-Wallmark-Martinook

Bishop/McKegg 

That makes us one of the best FO squads in the league.  We stay prospect capital neutral. Also gives a head start on getting a FA were going to target anyways (doesn’t have to be Duchene).

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

FAT

Svech-Duchene-Nino

Foegele-Staal-Williams

Maenalenan-Wallmark-Martinook

Bishop/McKegg 

I’d put Jordan in that trade package too

14 hours ago, Bill_B said:

Svech/Duchene/Tarasenko

NN/Staal/Williams

Welcome back Bill_B! I remember you as a thoughtful well-liked poster. It's really great to have you back! Don't be a stranger.

If we can pull off what you're suggesting up there, we'd be flush with elite talent. Personally I expect Necas to be very much in our line up. 

I do wonder about Williams. Hasn't really been commented on here yet. Do we re-sign Williams? Does Williams have some rental? How much?

36 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I’d put Jordan in that trade package too

I would say this. While it never pans out that these call ups are for trades, especially the "leave a guy behind" trade. Trading Staal might make a trade work with a team still in the hunt that needs D and O. Staal plus say Pesce, for a package that includes a young scoring forward. 

Given the situation with Ferland, I don’t want to waste assets to bring in Duchene without an extension in place. Given what we gave up to Calgary, management pooped the bed to make that trade without extending Ferland at least 2-3 years. Don’t do it again.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Given the situation with Ferland, I don’t want to waste assets to bring in Duchene without an extension in place. Given what we gave up to Calgary, management pooped the bed to make that trade without extending Ferland at least 2-3 years. Don’t do it again.

Lindholm and Hanifin were both in the last year of their contracts, weren't they?  So really all management gave up was an extra year of them in exchange for a year of Ferland/Hamilton.  If they weren't going to re-sign Lindholm/Hanifin, they were essentially hedging their bets that they'd re-sign Ferland/Hamilton.  That said, yeah, it would be really nice if they re-sign Ferland.

Personally i hope Chiarelli meets Hamilton at the airport and says, "come on, kid, you're with us tonight"...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BadgerCane1958 said:

Here it goes again. The cursed Canes. Rask already has an assist in his first game with Minny. 15g 15a from now until the end of the season?

I believe he had two in his last game here, on both of Maenalanen's markers in the Rags' game. He was clearly looking better, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if this deal was in the works before the season began (and before hand met knife).

5 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

So who’s getting scratched?

not necessarily anyone. But on a trip this distance with games as close as they are, you pretty much need seven D on the plane just in case.

All of that said, I hope he gets to play. What's been done to him this year is total BS.

3 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Yup, the only way that was a good trade is if mgt steps up - like Calgary's did - and pays him. He's done everything we wanted and more. If it hasn't earned him a deal then TD's just the new boss, same as the old boss.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yup, the only way that was a good trade is if mgt steps up - like Calgary's did - and pays him. He's done everything we wanted and more. If it hasn't earned him a deal then TD's just the new boss, same as the old boss.

While you are right about the trade ducking if they cant re sign him you are wrong about just throwing the cash out there. While consistantly making the playoffs is better then the last 10 years, over spending on players puts you in a cycle that's very tough to get out of. Besides last night proved that while Getland has been good here he is not some uber important piece of the puzzle for wins or scoring. I would love for him to get resigned at a rate that is equal to his talent, but if he wants more then he is worth let him walk

3 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Watching Pool Party last night it's hilarious that guy continues to come up in trade discussions.

Whom?