The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

17 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Watching Pool Party last night it's hilarious that guy continues to come up in trade discussions.

Hilarious in a good way or bad way?

3 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Hilarious in a good way or bad way?

Bad. He seems like another bust pick for them. They messed up a rebuild about as bad as any team not named the Browns.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Bad. He seems like another bust pick for them. They messed up a rebuild about as bad as any team not named the Browns.

He's not a bust yet. He would be an AHL rookie. 

33 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

He's not a bust yet. He would be an AHL rookie. 

True but he looks like a classic rushed to the nhl case. In his 2nd full season and played a half season before that.  

He needs some confidence building time though.

I put that in the GDT. I'm assuming it's in a bad way? His skating style is so awkward it's painful to watch. I think I'm ready to steer clear of him even as a low cost gamble. I have to think Gauthier is a better bet than him. Pass.

11 minutes ago, remkin said:

I put that in the GDT. I'm assuming it's in a bad way? His skating style is so awkward it's painful to watch. I think I'm ready to steer clear of him even as a low cost gamble. I have to think Gauthier is a better bet than him. Pass.

Maybe if we could get him to train with that little female skater they use to bring in here fora brief stint during preseason training camp I think, but leave him with her for the summer, maybe he could regain technique? Just a thought?

11 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

While you are right about the trade ducking if they cant re sign him you are wrong about just throwing the cash out there. While consistantly making the playoffs is better then the last 10 years, over spending on players puts you in a cycle that's very tough to get out of. Besides last night proved that while Getland has been good here he is not some uber important piece of the puzzle for wins or scoring. I would love for him to get resigned at a rate that is equal to his talent, but if he wants more then he is worth let him walk

So what's your top end? Because we just paid TT $5.4 million. Pay Ferland the same or even as much as 6, and we have one of our top two lines set for five years (with Aho as high as $8.5)--at under $20 million a year. That knowledge and the availability of three NHL-proven top-six pieces has value too, value that is hard to dismiss.

Try telling Aho and TT he is not a critical piece of that line. Or just go watch what Aho and TT couldn't do without him. He is big guy who hits to create space for two of the most elite players in the league, on top of which he can score and make plays himself. 

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 2

For the Ferland lovers:

Luke tweet

“Hurricanes wanted Teravainen extension (five years at $5.4m) done before potential Ferland trade to establish they’re willing to spend money on reasonable long-term deals. Ferland appears committed to testing July 1 market, which is entirely his prerogative.”

take that for what it is worth.  

Is it A. Ferland isnt being reasonable 

B. Showing people we trade for/ Aho we’re willing to spend money.

Both?

Edited by gocanes0506

24 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

For the Ferland lovers:

Luke tweet

“Hurricanes wanted Teravainen extension (five years at $5.4m) done before potential Ferland trade to establish they’re willing to spend money on reasonable long-term deals. Ferland appears committed to testing July 1 market, which is entirely his prerogative.”

Both?

I'd add a C to this, Ferland says he's interested but he's really not and doesn't want to look like the *edit.

Edited by legend-1

Find a way to convince JR that he needs Jordan Staal again, add a first, and one of our sexiest prospects and let’s get Malkin over here to center/mentor Svechnikov. It’s my fever dream.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

So what's your top end? Because we just paid TT $5.4 million. Pay Ferland the same or even as much as 6, and we have of our top two lines set for five years (with Aho as high as $8.5)--at under $20 million a year. That knowledge and the availability of three NHL-proven top-six pieces has value too, value that is hard to dismiss.

Try telling Aho and TT he is not a critical piece of that line. Or just go watch what Aho and TT couldn't do without him. He is big guy who hits to create space for two of the most elite players in the league, on top of which he can score and make plays himself. 

Idk people way smarter then me have to figure that out, in just pointing out the fact that you cant over pay just to keep a guy. It let's the rest of the FA know they can push you for money and before long you are stuck over spending just to get a first round playoff boot. 

I like him and the edge he brings but it sounds like, from reports anyway he us asking for more then he is worth. We now have him, McGinn, NN, McKegg, and Martinook that can be physical if he prices himself out of their market so be it. I would rather not have him then have is salary cause issues in the future. Besides NN looked pretty damn comfy with Aho and Willy last night and Turbo had a good game too. It's just one game but maybe he is not quite as important as we think

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

I'd add a C to this, Ferland says he's interested but he's really not and doesn't want to look like the *edit.

Definitely, but I still don't blame him for wanting to get the most $ he can, even if it's not from us.  We will find out the real deal once he signs here or elsewhere, if that's how it's going to play out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, remkin said:

You nailed it.

The thing about Ferland is that he hits and can play at a higher level than anyone else who hits. This increases his value IMO beyond his stats. That said, he probably did not request to be traded here, and while he may like it OK, it's not like we have a winning tradition, so he's probably thinking, something like, " I wouldn't mind staying here, but I'm going to get paid on the open market, so I need a premium to forgo that. As much as that stinks for us, it makes total sense for him.

So we will have to overpay to keep him. This makes the whole thing dicier. Does he really not want to be here, or is he just reasonably open minded about it? How can we know for sure? If we're going to overpay him, he dang well better want to be here.

As much as it pains me to move him on, he might fetch a nice return, we do have NN now, and a massive overpay would not be smart. I really hope we can work it out with a slight overpay, but if not, we might have to watch him leave and see what we can get for him. It would stink, but it might be the only way.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

For more than our mgmt thinks he is worth. I asked what YOU think he's worth. How much would you pay?

That's asinine question since none if us are privy to the inner workings of NHL economics. If the team seems to think he isnt worth the asking price then it is what it is. People much more versed in it seem to think he is asking a lot. I know he isnt worth more then Turbo

Edited by Derailed75
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

For the Ferland lovers:

Luke tweet

Both?

Coastal beat me to it. If we trade Ferland, what will the open market really pay? He’s physical (good but injury risk), and when put with elite scoring talent, can put up 20 goals and 40-45 points/year.what if a team signs him and doesn’t put him on a line with Aho/TT or Monahan/Gaudreau? I think he may be overestimating his worth a bit. Would love to keep him, but not for too much term and an overpay.

Id just like say that amidst all this hub bub with Ferland, and trades, who we need, who we don't, there's something I was thinking and sure most have noticed. Isn't it nice how anyone you put with Aho automatically plays well? Think about that. How many years were we like " oh Staal just needs the right Winger or man I wish we had the right Center for Skinner. Aho.....doesn't matter. We have a guy who makes those around HIM better. That is all.

5 hours ago, SuckaPunchd said:

Find a way to convince JR that he needs Jordan Staal again, add a first, and one of our sexiest prospects and let’s get Malkin over here to center/mentor Svechnikov. It’s my fever dream.

No...bleeping...way...

Malkin is a dirty prima-donna...and the LAST thing this team needs...we can get points from elsewhere 

29 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Id just like say that amidst all this hub bub with Ferland, and trades, who we need, who we don't, there's something I was thinking and sure most have noticed. Isn't it nice how anyone you put with Aho automatically plays well? Think about that. How many years were we like " oh Staal just needs the right Winger or man I wish we had the right Center for Skinner. Aho.....doesn't matter. We have a guy who makes those around HIM better. That is all.

True, but statistically Aho plays better when Ferland is on his line. Ferland also plays well on any line so there is that piece as well.

Edited by slapshot02

Can you imagine if we would have traded Pesce for Nylander and his 3 points?  Wow I think we dodged a bullet there.  I think our next move should be for a Crosby, Malkin, Matthew's, or maybe a McDavid.