The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

22 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I figured they were trying to minimize the amount of rookies.  Im guessing they are going for scoring now.

If not rookies, I thought maybe McKegg.  Although he's not off to as hot a start as he finished last season.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'd guess right around $8.5 million/year's worth.

Draisaitl has been great on a really bad team. Nylander's been very good on a much better team, has 90 fewer games played, and doesn't (yet) play as heavy a brand of hockey. I just don't pay the kid a nickel more than $6 million anytime in the next two years, and if he duplicates or improves upon, here, what he's done so far there, great, let's lock him down. Jordan will be two years closer to retirement, and both the D and G situations will have sorted themselves out.

This team has already shown it can skate with the best teams in hockey, in spite of glaring deficiencies on the PP and PK in those particular games. If Nylander is going to insist on his payoff now, I stay away for the longer-term good of the organization (*cough*EricStaal*cough*Cam Ward"cough*).  

I am not sold that Nylander could put up 60 points here.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Roy is getting his shot in Raleigh.  He was officially called up today.  Bishop will return to Charlotte.  

interesting.....

Does this officially mean that Roy is beating the Bishop?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Does this officially mean that Roy is beating the Bishop?

Rook conquers Bishop.  Unfortunately we are playing the Sharks instead of LV as I have to end this bad pun.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'd either give him the Isles at home Sunday or the Yotes on the coming road trip (first of a back-to-back). Baby steps.

It's going to be soon. I would be inclined to let him start on the road.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

that is awesome news

Curse you top!!!! :pullhair:   The last post I saw in this thread was about Faulk/ McE for Nylander.  Then, when I click on "Unread Messages", what shows up in my browser but your post, "that is awesome news".  For a second there I thought we had actually made that trade, lol.

Just now, LakeLivin said:

Curse you top!!!! :pullhair:   The last post I saw in this thread was about Faulk/ McE for Nylander.  Then, when I click on "Unread Messages", what shows up in my browser but your post, "that is awesome news".  For a second there I thought we had actually made that trade, lol.

I planned for weeks. Glad it worked out :ohyeah:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OBXer said:

Darling back.....

I'd say Sunday vs NYI.  Need to get him in, find out what we have. Also don't want to wait too long after the conditioning stint.

Rotating 3 goalies in practice isn't getting the top 2 guys the best prepared so I hope we figure out our 2 guys reasonably quickly and don't let it become a distracting drama.

11 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Definitely feel and McE and Faulk trade for Nylander :yippee:

Discussion over on Canes Country about this and a rule was quoted, for those that haven't been over on that site, that precludes us straight out trading a waiver pickup. apparently unless we offer him back to the team that put him on waivers, and they turn him down. So, no dice on this thought it appears.

The poster quoted Rule 13.20b, and I might be mistaken that McE needs to be offered back to Toronto, but maybe to team(s) that put in waiver claims on him? Whichever, apparently we are precluded from trading him outright until after playoffs.

Edited by KJUNKANE

5 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

but maybe to team(s) that put in waiver claims on him

This. If no other teams put in claims, we'd be free to deal him back to Toronto (or anywhere else).

Since Toronto waived him, I don't think they'd have any option but a deal for getting him back on his current contract, but again, they'd have to line up behind any other team(s) that put in claims when Mac was waived.

Sadly, I can't find any sort of listing of other teams who may have tried to snag him. The rule for claims made outside of the playing season (when Mac was claimed) is that if more than one wants the player, he goes to the team with the lowest total standings points in the prior regular season, but that really doesn't help much with trying to rationalize whether other teams made a claim. 

From Spector's Hockey:

"PULJUJARVI’S FUTURE

TSN: Asked about what the future might hold for struggling Edmonton Oilers winger Jesse Puljujarvi, Darren Dreger believes it’s still a tad early to suggest his situation is coming to a head. The Oilers still feel the youngster has a bright future. However, he also noted Puljujarvi is being outplayed by rookie Kailer Yamamoto. He thinks it’s a trust issue between the player and coach and it’s up to Puljujarvi to try and improve it. 

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Some observers feel the Oilers haven’t done a good job developing Puljujarvi, suggesting they should shop him while he still has value for help on defense. While Puljujarvi’s in his third NHL season, he’s only 20 and still has plenty of time to develop into a reliable scorer.

The last thing the Oilers want is another situation where they give up on one of their highly touted youngsters only to see him blossom elsewhere, like Taylor Hall going to New Jersey and winning the Hart Trophy. However, one also has to wonder if this could be another Nail Yakupov scenario. Until the Oilers figure that out, Puljujarvi won’t be going anywhere for the time being."

I still think Faulk for Puljujarvi is a great trade for both teams.

54 minutes ago, MassCaniac said:

I still think Faulk for Puljujarvi is a great trade for both teams.

Dont hate the idea but with PoolParty not really showing much promise, Faulk isnt who I would move for him.  Bean, Fox, or TVR maybe. 

Now if they want to do PoolParty and a good pick, sure. In the end, we need top 6 dudes to push us forward (pun intended).  We have plenty of guys that can hand around the bottom 6.

I think until Rask is able to grip a stick again and we can find out what his player status is, I dont know that we'll see a trade.  Rask can fix our center issues if his fingers come back with enough strength to grip his stick and take stick strikes to the hand, assuming his shoulder is 100% of course.  Roddy says he is skating with team but can he move the puck?  Of course how is Necas in Charlotte?  He has put up 1 point with an assist so far but I dont know how his positioning has been.  

There are some internal options to help us solve our concerns, Rask and Necas, if they can get there.  

If Rask just isnt there and Necas is the guy then we need to put better wingers with Necas.  If neither is the guy we need a scoring center to put on Svech's line.  If both are the guy then Rask may be Necas' center with McGinn on the left side.  

Edited by gocanes0506