Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, remkin said:

I have no idea. I get your point though. He may be looking for a raise and only has next year left on his deal. In terms of contract situation, next year he will be Skinner. Not sure we can know what he will be looking for. 

 

I do wonder if the "rental plus one year" status lowers his trade value too though. 

 

"We" said it did for Duchene when he was in a similar situation, and I believe that was for a longer rental period than we're looking at for Faulk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are over-invested in the back end right now.  The "committee" needs to pick the 4 horses to ride in the next few years and then use cheap options for the bottom pairings.  I could live with a top-4 of Slavin-Pesce, de Haan-Hamilton/Faulk and use Fleury and Carrick/Bean/Fox, etc.. for the bottom pairing.  Unfortunately, that sort of reconfiguration will likely happen in the off-season.

 

The one thing that gives me confidence that we can do the right thing is the Rask/Nino trade.  We traded a worthless piece for a guy that can help and inherited a bit more salary that we can easily afford.  100% win for the Canes on this one.

 

To use an electric football analogy:

Rask - A guy that just goes in a circle.  If you set him up just right, he may be able to help.  But even then it is iffy he can do much of anything

Nino - For the most part goes in a straight line.  He can help a lot.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chip re-tweeted this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An observation:

  Not sure how many on here were at the Calgary game last night, but I finally was able to get to one after missing a couple. As I really like Ferland's story and game, I watched him quite a bit. IMHO, his storied "grittiness" is being bottled up quite a bit. What I saw was at least one player take a few liberties with him. Now I realize that he's on the verge of his biggest contract, which unquestionably he deserves, and further he needs to protect his health to achieve that,  but the situation is such that it then puts the Canes and Ferland on 2 different paths. Ergo, Ferland's best interest is to be non-combative and save his brain, but ours calls for an all out "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" mindset. That being the case, and if Ferland intends to explore his UFA status offers, than as much as I would hate to lose him, I would have to say that the best course would be a trade because a non-physical Ferland is only a partial player. I respect his decision, but conversely I hunger for playoffs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Through the Athletic supposedly Ferland’s market has cooled off.  We were trying to move him before other forwards became available. Now with the possibility of Stone or Duchene being available, teams want to wait to see those prices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Through the Athletic supposedly Ferland’s market has cooled off.  We were trying to move him before other forwards became available. Now with the possibility of Stone or Duchene being available, teams want to wait to see those prices.

TSN was saying just two days ago that we’d be lucky to get a first for him anymore...but that Dougie or Pesce could fetch a first the closer we get to deadline 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

TSN was saying just two days ago that we’d be lucky to get a first for him anymore...but that Dougie or Pesce could fetch a first the closer we get to deadline 

Dougie and Pesce have term. If TSN thinks we are trading either one for  a draft pick they've gone daffy. They need to return a skilled forward with proven NHL scoring ability. I guess if Colorado wants to trade us Ottawa's pick not lottery protected maybe, but a pick that a team would actually trade? No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening to Sirius XM NHL, one of the commentators said he had heard Dougie was "looking for a different zip code". It was one comment, no one really confirmed, but has anyone heard Dougie wants out? He's been playing much better lately....either feels better about being here or showcasing, or who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, remkin said:

Listening to Sirius XM NHL, one of the commentators said he had heard Dougie was "looking for a different zip code". It was one comment, no one really confirmed, but has anyone heard Dougie wants out? He's been playing much better lately....either feels better about being here or showcasing, or who knows?

I haven't heard that. I get the feeling that he wants to stay and fit in. It appears to my eye, he likes his team mates and several like him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I haven't heard that. I get the feeling that he wants to stay and fit in. It appears to my eye, he likes his team mates and several like him.

I was surely getting that sense just watching him, especially lately. It really sounded like heresay to me. He's playing so much better lately too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, remkin said:

I was surely getting that sense just watching him, especially lately. It really sounded like heresay to me. He's playing so much better lately too.

Of course "playing better" is a two edged sword in that he might believe that playing better gets him a better offer from another team? Or he might be doing so to solidify his place on this team? IDK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Of course "playing better" is a two edged sword in that he might believe that playing better gets him a better offer from another team? Or he might be doing so to solidify his place on this team? IDK

Yeah IDK either. What I've heard is that Dougy is the kind of guy with a lot of talent, but more than most needs things to feel right. He needs to feel positive about his team and coach and surroundings. I'm choosing to go with his better play being a factor of a positive settling into his new team. If so, I feel better if it turns out his name does not come up in a trade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Matthews is closing in on a 5 year 11.634 mil AAV extension, holy crap Toronto really is going to be in a world of hurt soon.  They will have 72 million of cap with Kapanen, Marner, and Johnsson needing extensions with needing 3 other spots filled and 11 million to do it.  

 

No wonder we have 3 scouts checking them out.

 

Also, this deal could have significant impact on an Aho deal.  if I take the PPG rate for Matthews and Aho, apply the difference to the rate Mattthews is getting paid, Aho would get a 9.834 AAV deal. 

 

edit* in fact it is done.  5 years 11.634 million AAV.  Goodness Matthews got a 8 year AAV on a 5 year deal.  

 

Edited by gocanes0506

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

edit* in fact it is done.  5 years 11.634 million AAV.  Goodness Matthews got a 8 year AAV on a 5 year deal.  

That’s cause it’s 90% signing bonuses to skirt any lockout and whatnot...that loophole needs to be closed in the next CBA

 

Ajother thought, they had better hurry up in their RFA’s, or else Toronto is about to get massively offer sheeted this summer 

Edited by AWACSooner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

That’s cause it’s 90% signing bonuses to skirt any lockout and whatnot...that loophole needs to be closed in the next CBA

 

Ajother thought, they had better hurry up in their RFA’s, or else Toronto is about to get massively offer sheeted this summer 

I dont understand how they gave him 93% signing bonus money with on 5 years.  A lockout is coming.  

 

Yea i'd expect a deal with Toronto to be done in the off-season before the draft and one after, maybe.

 

Who needs a bevy of bottom 6 forward who may be able to score and on ELCs- Toronto.  Who has a bunch-  WE DO!

The one after the draft (July 2nd) would be targeting Nylander

Ones before the draft targeting Kapanen and Johnsson (possibly Kadri)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I heard another thing last night on XM that we are one of, or the most scouted teams in the NHL. We have to be working at it. Man if Stone liked Raleigh....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aho's shaping up to be the highest paid Hurricane ever. See ya later Forslund we're gonna have to listen to Shaya to afford Aho. Joking....or am I?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I need help understanding Matthews new contract. He signed for what I understand is $58.17mil for 5 years. Now it's being reported that 90% of that is signing bonus which equates to $52.35mil. Now if I subtract the 2 figures, that works out to be $5.82mil, which I guess would be "salary"? So now the cap hit is $11.63mil per, but the actual annual salary for those 5 years is actually $1.16mil. So I believe the Toronto financial gurus are circumventing the spirit of current CBA, but someone please explain to this data challenged person how this is working?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I believe the Toronto financial gurus are circumventing the spirit of current CBA, but someone please explain to this data challenged person how this is working?

Pretty much ...and that loophole needs to be closed NOW

Edited by AWACSooner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

So, I need help understanding Matthews new contract. He signed for what I understand is $58.17mil for 5 years. Now it's being reported that 90% of that is signing bonus which equates to $52.35mil. Now if I subtract the 2 figures, that works out to be $5.82mil, which I guess would be "salary"? So now the cap hit is $11.63mil per, but the actual annual salary for those 5 years is actually $1.16mil. So I believe the Toronto financial gurus are circumventing the spirit of current CBA, but someone please explain to this data challenged person how this is working?

 Starting next season, Matthews’ new annual cap hit will be the highest on the Leafs and the league’s second-highest behind Edmonton’s Connor McDavid’s $12.5 million. While Matthews didn’t exactly get “McDavid money”, his new cap hit will still take a big bite out of Toronto’s payroll for 2019-20.

The Leafs now have over $71.9 million invested in 14 players, with Mitch Marner, Jake Gardiner, Kasperi Kapanen, Andreas Johnsson, Ron Hainsey, Garret Sparks, and Igor Ozhiganov to be re-signed or replaced. Even by placing Nathan Horton ($5.3 million) on long-term injured reserve at the start of next season, and assuming a projected cap of $83 million for 2019-20, the Leafs won’t have enough to re-sign everyone. They’ll likely have to shed a contract or two before the start of next season.

Marner, of course, is the Leafs’ next priority and could cost around $11 million annually to keep in the fold. He’s indicated he’ll wait until season’s end to open contract discussions. It’s a good bet the Leafs will try to get him locked up before he becomes a restricted free agent -and a potential offer-sheet target – on July 1. 

 

 

I believe the main difference between signing bonus and salary it that signing bonus is guaranteed monies regardless if there is a stoppage of hockey in the near future where as salaries wouldn't get paid if that happened.  It appears that the signing bonus is being counted toward's the team cap via the above information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...