The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

So, I get all that and thanks, but the part I don't grasp is what has been bantered around from multiple posters, that the arrangement "circumvents the spirit of the CBA". What is being circumvented if the Cap hit is the same no matter what is bonus vs salary? I am guessing by agreeing to such an arrangement (sizable bonus) that it encourages the player (and his agent) to sign for less? 

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

Aho's shaping up to be the highest paid Hurricane ever. See ya later Forslund we're gonna have to listen to Shaya to afford Aho. Joking....or am I?

If I had to listen to Shaya....I'd  mute the TV and call my own game.

1 hour ago, caniac_fan said:

Starting next season, Matthews’ new annual cap hit will be the highest on the Leafs and the league’s second-highest behind Edmonton’s Connor McDavid’s $12.5 million. While Matthews didn’t exactly get “McDavid money”, his new cap hit will still take a big bite out of Toronto’s payroll for 2019-20.

The Leafs now have over $71.9 million invested in 14 players, with Mitch Marner, Jake Gardiner, Kasperi Kapanen, Andreas Johnsson, Ron Hainsey, Garret Sparks, and Igor Ozhiganov to be re-signed or replaced. Even by placing Nathan Horton ($5.3 million) on long-term injured reserve at the start of next season, and assuming a projected cap of $83 million for 2019-20, the Leafs won’t have enough to re-sign everyone. They’ll likely have to shed a contract or two before the start of next season.

Marner, of course, is the Leafs’ next priority and could cost around $11 million annually to keep in the fold. He’s indicated he’ll wait until season’s end to open contract discussions. It’s a good bet the Leafs will try to get him locked up before he becomes a restricted free agent -and a potential offer-sheet target – on July 1. 

I believe the main difference between signing bonus and salary it that signing bonus is guaranteed monies regardless if there is a stoppage of hockey in the near future where as salaries wouldn't get paid if that happened.  It appears that the signing bonus is being counted toward's the team cap via the above information.

Thing is, Matthews contract is for only 5 years.  It covers 4 RFA years and only "buys" 1 of Matthew's UFA years. Leafs will be faced with needing to re-sign a UFA Mattews at age 26.  McDavid's contract  was for 8 years and I believe it buys 4 UFA years.  For top end players, the shorter the contract the cheaper it should be.  So, while Matthews didn't get McDavid money, it looks like he actually got a "better" contract.  I glanced over at a Leafs board and the fan base is p***d at Dubas for overpaying (given the term).  And these are fans that defended Nylander's $7m AAV 6 year contract.

Edited by LakeLivin

The nhl has circumvented the spirit of the CBA with it going up to 83 million knowing that only 15 teams or so can afford that much or even 90 percent of it.

im surprised Matthews got an 8 year AAV for 5 years. If Toronto was going to pay him 13 million for 8 years, they are crazy. 

Either way, I’d expect Toronto to convince Marleau to waive somehow. The best thing that could happen is Marleau not waive his NMC though.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

.  I glanced over at a Leafs board and the fan base is p***d at Dubas for overpaying (given the term).  And these are fans that defended Nylander's $7m AAV 6 year contract.

CCB5566E-3358-496B-AA97-D68AE871B439.gif

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

If I had to listen to Shaya....I'd  mute the TV and call my own game.

I'll just listen to Chuck. Oh, wait a minute, he was a victim of cost cutting, too!

Sorry, but I’m not an agent or a lawyer. I see the cap hit per year on Matthews is only $700-750k a year. Didn’t they sideswipe the cap hit with bonuses bonuses and bonuses?? This will allow the Leafs big time cap space for 5 years.

4 minutes ago, BadgerCane1958 said:

Sorry, but I’m not an agent or a lawyer. I see the cap hit per year on Matthews is only $700-750k a year. Didn’t they sideswipe the cap hit with bonuses bonuses and bonuses?? This will allow the Leafs big time cap space for 5 years.

His salary is 700k yes. His overall compensation is 11.634 AAV. The total compensation is what counts towards a cap hit.

On 2/5/2019 at 9:40 AM, remkin said:

Listening to Sirius XM NHL, one of the commentators said he had heard Dougie was "looking for a different zip code". It was one comment, no one really confirmed, but has anyone heard Dougie wants out? He's been playing much better lately....either feels better about being here or showcasing, or who knows?

I think most reporters and news outlets today are not here to report news.  They are primarily here to create news, exaggerate news, spin news, and make news in order to drive their ratings and grow their business.  Hard to really believe anything you 'hear' today. 

Edited by reelpirate5
  • Like 3

Just now, reelpirate5 said:

I think most reporters and news outlets today are not here to report news.  They are primarily here to create news, exaggerate news, spin news, and make news in order to drive their ratings and grow their business.  Hard to really believe anything you here today. 

There is definitely truth to that. There are sources that are pretty reliable, but then one has to make sure to hear if they are saying that they are "hearing" something, or just speculating. 

This guy I don't even remember who he was (not one of the known reliable guys), but it really sounded like he was trying to sound like he had some info without actually saying he did. I don't put too much weight on it, as I really doubt Dougie is putting that out there, and he sure looks to be settling into what has to be one of the more enjoyable teams to be a part of. 

1 minute ago, remkin said:

There is definitely truth to that. There are sources that are pretty reliable, but then one has to make sure to hear if they are saying that they are "hearing" something, or just speculating. 

This guy I don't even remember who he was (not one of the known reliable guys), but it really sounded like he was trying to sound like he had some info without actually saying he did. I don't put too much weight on it, as I really doubt Dougie is putting that out there, and he sure looks to be settling into what has to be one of the more enjoyable teams to be a part of. 

If Dougie continues to play the way he has lately then I think the Canes are getting more of what they bargained for, and I hope he stays.

I will take this opportunity to correct my typo above.....hear not here.

13 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Team is playing well. Although I don’t want to mess with chemistry, we really need another center.

Yeah makes me think of Jordan Staal. Not only what a bummer it is for him, but that we could use him. 

I get that the team seems to play faster without him, and I love what McKegg has brought. But I can't help but think our third line would be stronger with a healthy Staal in there. 

For me though, I take the chance with the chemistry thing if we can get the right forward back in here. We've won without Pesce for a stretch. I think we have enough D even without a guy.

I can't believe I'm writing this, but the one D man outside of Slavin (who is a beast), that I'd be most nervous about losing is Faulk. 

Watching Faulk now is mostly a huge positive. He is and has always been good at that fast puck moving game that is so much a part of what we do and now he is making so many good decisions even where he made so many bad ones in the past. Removing him could be more disruptive than any other D man save Slavin. 

4 minutes ago, remkin said:

I get that the team seems to play faster without him, and I love what McKegg has brought. But I can't help but think our third line would be stronger with a healthy Staal in there. 

I'd love for him to be on the 3rd line where he belongs, but Roddy would almost certainly put him back on the 2nd after a few games. The only reason he'd start on the 3rd or 4th post injury is Roddy has shown he prefers his injured returners to start lower in the lineup a few games. After that, we all know he's going on the 2nd line. I can't see Roddy pumping Staal's tires like we're missing the second coming of hockey Jesus and leaving him in the bottom 6.

10 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I'd love for him to be on the 3rd line where he belongs, but Roddy would almost certainly put him back on the 2nd after a few games. The only reason he'd start on the 3rd or 4th post injury is Roddy has shown he prefers his injured returners to start lower in the lineup a few games. After that, we all know he's going on the 2nd line. I can't see Roddy pumping Staal's tires like we're missing the second coming of hockey Jesus and leaving him in the bottom 6.

Yeah it's a good point. I thought of it as I typed. Rod is convinced that Jordan is our best forward. OK, maybe he realizes now it's Aho, but he does think Jordan is the man. My hope would be that we could get back to more of a 2a, 2b thing where one of them, (Staal's line) has shut down wingers wether we call them the third line or not, and Wallmark's line has more of a scoring mentality. 

But we have sort of quietly gathered 5 wingers who can score, and 6 if we count "almost 20 goal pace" Martinook. But with Martinook or McGinn, or even Ferland, we can put decent wingers who can shut down, but also occasionally score out there with Staal. Say Nino/Staal/Maritinook. 

Have to admit too, along with what gocanes said, looking at our line up, 2C is the clear need. Just imagining say Duchene, there....not saying he's the guy, but we pretty much have the wingers. Add Necas next year....pretty good.

• Like 2

Seems like an odd time for them to post a “get to know Michael Ferland” video on the official site.

Not reading anything into it, just seems weird with all the recent trade chatter.

32 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Seems like an odd time for them to post a “get to know Michael Ferland” video on the official site.

Not reading anything into it, just seems weird with all the recent trade chatter.

TSN is reporting that we’ll probably keep him as an “own rental.”

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

May I suggest this may be a "warm and fuzzy" way to induce him to stay?

11 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

TSN is reporting that we’ll probably keep him as an “own rental.”

Solid move. I doubt we are going to get a first for him at this point. Although, with Philly and Columbus having to make similiar choices as us, the market for rentals may be slim this season. Ottawa, NYR, and NJ having the best assets to sell.  Could make Ferland more attractive to a team.  

If I was a betting man, I'd bet Ferland gets out on the market and doesnt get what he is looking for.  Our offer will be competitive to the open market. 

Edited by gocanes0506

Have to agree. Anything less than a first rounder is not worth losing him unless we just flat out fail in the next 9 games before the trade deadline. Any yeah, who knows? Maybe a change of heart or somehow we find a common ground before July. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, remkin said:

Have to agree. Anything less than a first rounder is not worth losing him unless we just flat out fail in the next 9 games before the trade deadline. Any yeah, who knows? Maybe a change of heart or somehow we find a common ground before July. 

Absolutely.  That plus a shiny new 2C. Then we're in business. 

Edited by sleekfeeder

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Solid move. I doubt we are going to get a first for him at this point. Although, with Philly and Columbus having to make similiar choices as us, the market for rentals may be slim this season. Ottawa, NYR, and NJ having the best assets to sell.  Could make Ferland more attractive to a team.  

If I was a betting man, I'd bet Ferland gets out on the market and doesnt get what he is looking for.  Our offer will be competitive to the open market. 

Not sure what you meant by "the market for rentals may be slim", was it slim supply or slim demand?

Given the situation in the West, I could see a scenario where demand is high and supply is low.  Using the [1 bean = 1 point] adjustment for differences in games played, 6 teams out west are within 3 points of the last wild card spot.  That's potentially 14 of 15 teams battling for a playoff spot.   In the East, right now I've got 10 of 16 battling for a spot (I'm not putting Flyers in there quite yet.  Sure, they're smoking hot, but how sustainable is that, and at 8 pts out and needing to jump 3 teams I suspect that they stand a bit higher chance of falling out of the race than getting back into the thick of it).     

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Not sure what you meant by "the market for rentals may be slim", was it slim supply or slim demand?

Given the situation in the West, I could see a scenario where demand is high and supply is low.  Using the [1 bean = 1 point] adjustment for differences in games played, 6 teams out west are within 3 points of the last wild card spot.  That's potentially 14 of 15 teams battling for a playoff spot.   In the East, right now I've got 10 of 16 battling for a spot (I'm not putting Flyers in there quite yet.  Sure, they're smoking hot, but how sustainable is that, and at 8 pts out and needing to jump 3 teams I suspect that they stand a bit higher chance of falling out of the race than getting back into the thick of it).     

I was going for the rental supply may be slim.