The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

I think it would be cool if we could do a Duchene sign and trade. I know I know. Not practical for him or likely to happen. Just dreaming over here. I'd like to see us go for it. I mean we're probably hanging on to Ferland and letting him walk anyways.

4 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

I think it would be cool if we could do a Duchene sign and trade. I know I know. Not practical for him or likely to happen. Just dreaming over here. I'd like to see us go for it. I mean we're probably hanging on to Ferland and letting him walk anyways.

Duchene would be everything we need right now. A 60% faceoff winner and a 2nd line scoring center.  My own fear is Duchene has never been a PPG player. 2013-14 was one point short but most seasons are .75 or a lower.  He is on a more than a PPG pace.  Just in time to be a UFA.

For those interested: newest Athletic article says Tom would prefer Aho to already be extended.  Said they had plenty of positive talks pre-season and into the early part of the season. They re-affirmed Aho is the one who requested to wait until after the season. He wanted to focus on hockey.

• Like 1

Duchene is a dynamic playmaker and he's a center, which at the moment we seem to need. I would gladly take him if it were short term, but I agree that he is not a guy to overpay and give a lot of term. Ironically, if we were in it to win it this year, I'd rent him, but I would not buy him. I would not sign him to the mega deal he will probably get.

This is for multiple reasons IMO. Here are three:

1. He is -89. I think we need a moratorium on constantly caveating that +/- is a weak stat. It is, but at the extremes it correlates with winning and the eyeball test over and over and over. 

And is he on the extreme? Well, if you take all forwards and rank them for the past 3.5 years in points per game and make the cut-off 100 games played. Matt Duchene is #59 in points per game. There are 450 forwards with enough games. Despite scoring at a top 60 pace, Matt Duchene is...wait for it.....last, dead last in plus/minus 450/450. This means despite the points he creates 5/5, he still manages to allow more than anyone else when he's on the ice.  Despite winning most of his face-offs too.

And again, I'm 99% certain we are using proprietary stats that clearly point out what Duchene is doing and not doing to not help winning, which is why I really doubt we're even kicking those tires. 

2. There is at least the whiff of him being a questionable presence. He has been a part of a lot of losing. He was a pure malcontent in Colorado, who went on to massively turn around once he was out of there. Then he goes to Ottawa. Not a lot of winning there either. There was that bizarre over the top celebration when he hit a personal goal but the team was being whooped in Colorado. It seemed that those guys wanted him gone as bad as he wanted out. He does seem to be wanted in Ottawa, but is he really? This is a very hard one to judge as we are not in the room, but I also think a guy doing the things that lead to personal stats but team minuses tend to be noticed by other guys too.

3. As gocanes points out, Duchene is a very good offense creator, but not in the category for which he is likely to be paid. As mentioned he's #59 in ppg over 3.5 years. This is impressive to be sure, but he is going to get paid like he's in the top 15-20. He is not. When then factoring in #1 and #2 above? Hard pass.

Ironically Duchene might be a good rental. Spice up the PP, juice the scoring, but don't get in on the overpay. But we are almost certainly not a renter, so pass.

Now Stone? Stone excels in all the right ways, almost opposite of Duchene that way. We can figure out center. Get Stone if we can. IMO that's the guy you win with.

On 2/6/2019 at 12:14 PM, remkin said:

Have to admit too, along with what gocanes said, looking at our line up, 2C is the clear need. 

I'm just gonna let that breathe a while...  We needed a 1C more than anything the past 2 years and now we don't.  We generated one.  We have all that up-n-coming talent in Charlotte too..  Maybe we already have the 2C as well just waiting in the wings.  I wouldn't get crazy getting rid of guys to solve a problem we might already have solved.

Things are looking up, I'm just saying.

Plus minus is..... just kidding.

As long as the cap keeps going up guys will get overpaid - it's a shifting pay scale.  I don't see the Canes as having interest anyway.  I really can't see doing any big deals like this until after the season.

Edited by coastal_caniac

16 minutes ago, hag65 said:

I'm just gonna let that breathe a while...  We needed a 1C more than anything the past 2 years and now we don't.  We generated one.  We have all that up-n-coming talent in Charlotte too..  Maybe we already have the 2C as well just waiting in the wings.  I wouldn't get crazy getting rid of guys to solve a problem we might already have solved.

The Charlotte argument though. It's been a while since we've actually grown top level talent there as good as it looks. As everyone knows, I really think Necas is that, but looks like he's being groomed for wing at least to start. That said, while the word is that centers are more valuable than wingers, we have Aho and Staal, so we can get by with another top winger if that's where it goes. 

46 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Hate to say it, but i wouldn't look at the current Charlotte roster for a 2C, unless you think Bishop is a 2C.  A half-dozen 1Ds, though, maybe...

25 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

TSN says us and the Leafs are still talking...and they had scouts at the Slugs game tonight 

Probably us giving away Pesce & Slavin for scraps and cap savings for them.

15 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

TSN says us and the Leafs are still talking...and they had scouts at the Slugs game tonight 

At this point, the deal for any RHD except TVR would have to be for Nylander, and really I don't think we want him if he doesn't really want to be here, and that just seems unlikely, but worth doing IMO. Nylander is struggling, and, well buy low.

I guess we could do something like TVR and Ferland for Kapanen, but is TVR really what they want?

I don't know, it seems like we've been round and round with them and come up empty. 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

At this point, the deal for any RHD except TVR would have to be for Nylander

Get this guy, put him with TT, and watch the magic happen.

I think Darling had a shutout the other night. Haven’t followed his body of work, though it seems Ned is their clear #1. Surely no one thinks Darling might be traded. We’d have to eat salary and sweeten any deal with a player to get someone to take him at this point.