The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

How does the group feel about Kevin Hayes having just played against him? Problem is that he's a rental and I doubt that DW would be interested? That plus where could he conceivably be slotted if we got a long term commitment since Aho looks to be the 1C we've searched for continually and Necas MAY be the 2C. I ask because there seems to be rumblings of us in on him?

The real elephant looming in the room now seems to be Where do you place Jordan on his return? Over on CC, an elegant argument was made for his subtle value, if not in scoring, but in numerous other ways. This present run seems to prove that life after Jordan is sustainable, but does it really? By that I'm pondering if we are riding on the crest of a large wave or is this a tsunami? If the former than Jordan's special skills may yet be needed. But if the latter, could this be the time to "think" of a trade with him? A friend suggested to me the concept that in "forcing him into roles he CANNOT do, has held the team back". Thus I also ponder, if that is true, is Rod so wedded (and loyal to a fault) that he is incapable of making this difficult decision? Time will tell I guess?

18 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Can't be done.

Can if he agrees to it coastal? I am told that this is according to current CBA rules.

Edited by KJUNKANE

Acquiring Kevin Hayes, as a rental isn't such a bad idea; as long as we can get him for non round 1 picks, and/or prospects not named Necas. He would slot at 2C, and immediately give us another weapon for the stretch run; as long as we don't have to give up a roster player. Our D is playing tremendously well, so no good reason to break that group up, unless it's a deal that we can't refuse. Our bottom six is very solid, so messing with that chemistry might backfire. In the bigger picture, any deadline deal involving our D, must be for a serious forward upgrade with term on his contract. Otherwise, get the best rental forward that we can, and make the more permanent additions after the season through trades and free agency.

5 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Back the truck up for Stone. Dude just scored 24 & 25 today.

Unless we’re going to 78-80 million we can only afford one money truck contract 

22 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Unless we’re going to 78-80 million we can only afford one money truck contract 

Boooooo! Yea and we know who's getting that. And we'll deserved btw.

8 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Fleury back to Charlotte. I assume they want to get him some playing time today.

We are sandbagging him. Things are rolling, so I guess it's fine. We'll get him signed much cheaper, maybe to a longish deal, then move a higher paid guy and slide him in, and have a good Dman on a cheap deal. It's kind of smart in a way, but kind of sucks for him.

8 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

they assigned Pu to Florida 😐

They need to make that big move fast, hope Nino keeps being awesome, get over the cut line and stop playing Buffalo so we can start forgetting about that trade. :facepalm2:.

Good news is that most of those things seem to be happening, so as far as focusing on that trade? :lalalai:

19 minutes ago, remkin said:

We are sandbagging him. Things are rolling, so I guess it's fine. We'll get him signed much cheaper, maybe to a longish deal, then move a higher paid guy and slide him in, and have a good Dman on a cheap deal. It's kind of smart in a way, but kind of sucks for him.

I don’t know about sandbagging. He is probably equal to TVR, maybe slightly better.  He can pass back and forth to Charlotte with no issue so, he is 7D.  

He’ll probably sign a 2 year bridge deal.

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I don’t know about sandbagging. He is probably equal to TVR, maybe slightly better.  He can pass back and forth to Charlotte with no issue so, he is 7D.  

He’ll probably sign a 2 year bridge deal.

It may be a bit strong, but it's my take. I do think that the coach is playing who he thinks is best for the team to win, but contracts somehow find a way in. The guy being paid one way on $2.3 million gets playing time on his off side and the guy coming up on his RFA deal somehow is just not quite good enough to play on his natural side and gets to watch from the press box and play in Charlotte. BTW this is also the guy who was picked in the #7 overall first round, and second D man taken slot. 

TVR is serviceable enough. But -3 to Fleury's +3. Again, this is our #7 overall pick from 2014 for crying out loud. He came on in Charlotte, then put in 67 pretty decent games as a rookie, then SCREEeeeeCH pressboxed and Charlotte all year the year before his RFA deal. Sure, TVR is a nice D man, but he's no better on his off side than Fleury on his natural side. 

I don't think Fleury has forced the committee's hand by how stellar he's played, and I think it is actually clever of our braintrust to do this, because getting a really solid bottom pair guy with upside signed cheap, then flipping a higher paid D man will allow more space for more talent up front or in goal, but Fleury is a bit of a pawn in all of this.

He will end up making millions, so I'm not that sorry for him, but it does seem to be what is happening. In my view at least.

I've got to think that being waiver exempt is probably a bigger factor than contract sandbagging.  And while I'd like to see a more equitable distribution of press box time between Fleury and TVR when Fleury is active with the Canes, I can see some motivation for Rod to want continuity in the D pairings.  Factor in that at this point TVR is likely a trade chip for the Canes and healthy scratching him would likely ding his trade value, and Fleury comes out on the short end of the stick.  

Fleury's situation is also an artifact of the Committee not yet being able to make that big trade of one of Faulk/ Dougie/ Pesce for a top 6 scoring forward.  

Edited by LakeLivin

Waddell interview about deadline

a lot of good information here.

Says we are still looking for a forward, center preferred. “Talking to a bunch of teams.” They will take a scorer no matter of position.

“Doubtful we’ll be in the rental market.”

“Ferland is our rental.”

”haven’t talked to Williams about a deadline move.”  Said he wouldn’t unless we went the opposite direction in the standings.  Williams is too important to us.

A new one for me is DW talking about adding G help.  Said that M&M have been great but he is unsure about their future.  He doesn’t know their plans since they are UFAs. He is looking to the future with any move.

The same message of Aho wants to wait on a new contract continues.  

• Like 1

I think the odds are we will be just above or just below the cutline at trade deadline.In any case in the thick of a playoff hunt. That will make the trade decision kind of tough. At least that's what I think. 

If we rocket above the cutline we will be very careful trading on ice players for a short term game. But I think we will trade future for help

If we sink fast then all bets are off and I would expect Ferland, one of those D and maybe a goalie move

Regardless of what we do at trade deadline Waddell in that interview gave us a glance of what he is thinking moving forward. Changes are coming, if not at trade deadline then in the off-season.

For now I'm going to enjoy this team we have on the ice.

Finally the answer to why Booth was called up to Charlotte.

Darling asked for a mental regroup leave of absence. That is per Chip’s twitter in a conversation with DW.

4 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Finally the answer to why Booth was called up to Charlotte.

Darling asked for a mental regroup leave of absence. That is per Chip’s twitter in a conversation with DW.

I wonder if we are just giving him a head start on the buyout that is surely coming. Having him take up a spot in Charlotte where we need to be developing goalies was surely not the plan. And even though he will come out of a buyout rich, I do feel for him seeing the opportunity he had with the Canes go up in flames. Especially since the team was so public about how hard he worked in the offseason. I don’t want him back in Raleigh, but I hope he finds success somewhere, in or out of hockey.

• Like 1