The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

With Ducks in full tear down mode, what about Getzlaf as an addition?  

He has pluses and minuses.

+

He can win draws

You arent pushing him around

Career .9 PPG

His contract is up in 2 seasons (when Svech would need a new deal)

Wouldnt need to be protected in the expansion draft (because he’ll be a FA)

make 6 million his final season 

adds another veteran & captain presence 

-

He is 33 already, might get slower

Make 8.25 million next season

offer up futures and a couple of 2nds since we wont ask for cap relief?  Solid C between Necasnikov next season.  Solid center between Ferland and Turbo right now. If it won’t be a RHD or a first involved, we still have assets to move a RHD for a roster forward in the offseason.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 2

Necasnikov needs a speedy, skilled, veteran center next year. We should be all in for Duchene in July. I have read that he won't get more than 7x8. We should come right out with 9x7. 

A top 6 of Nino / Aho / Turbo and Svech / Duchene / Necas should make us instantly competitive.

11 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

Necasnikov needs a speedy, skilled, veteran center next year. We should be all in for Duchene in July. I have read that he won't get more than 7x8. We should come right out with 9x7. 

A top 6 of Nino / Aho / Turbo and Svech / Duchene / Necas should make us instantly competitive.

Not sure that this team can allow to have two 9m AAV contracts.

On 2/10/2019 at 11:22 AM, gocanes0506 said:

A new one for me is DW talking about adding G help.  Said that M&M have been great but he is unsure about their future.  He doesn’t know their plans since they are UFAs. He is looking to the future with any move.

Amazing, I was just thinking about this in the GDT. Mrazek is not the answer and should not be signed. We've been so utterly devoid of strong goaltending, that anything slightly above Mongo-level seems good to us. We are prone to sooo want Mrazek to be good that we explain away save percentage. "We hung him out to dry." "He makes the timely save." BTW that last one kills me. I get that hockey is a game of chance, and we try to create some sort of sense of it. But what goalies honestly only let goals in when the team is up 8-1? How often are we completely out of a game or completely in charge of one? Rarely. Every save is timely. Every goal hurts. And over time goalies that let in more goals, whenever they happen, are bad.

Well, Mrazek, based on save percentage, is the #53 best goalie in the NHL. This is our #1 goalie, and statistically he's at the bottom of the back-up pile. Ironically just one spot ahead of....Cam Ward. That's right, we could have just kept Cam Ward and gotten the same. 

This was Mrazek's one year "show me" contract too. He has shown us to be the #53 best goalie. 

We are winning now for one simple reason: over our winning streak we've been #1 in the NHL at scoring. But we can't keep up 4 goals per game most likely, and stopping more pucks is going to be key. Pray for McE to stay healthy. 

And in case we want to blame the D (which is #1 in the NHL at limiting shots BTW), we have an internal direct comparison in a 35 year old career back up, who is currently tied for #17 in the NHL at .915. Same team in front of him. Same D. 

What I'm sensing is that McE is the guy we'd like to keep, as our numbers guru can clearly see way past what I'm putting here, but McE, as a UFA, probably doesn't want to stay here. (Just guessing). 

I have been all over the need for another forward, and I still believe that, but we are going to have to figure out goalie to have a real chance at becoming a contender, and that nut has been nearly uncrackable for years. The reason it's somewhat better this year is that we finally pulled the plug on Mongo, and right on time McE fell into our laps.

It's good to see that the committee realizes that problem is still very much on the table.

30 minutes ago, remkin said:

Well, Mrazek, based on save percentage, is the #53 best goalie in the NHL. This is our #1 goalie, and statistically he's at the bottom of the back-up pile. Ironically just one spot ahead of....Cam Ward. That's right, we could have just kept Cam Ward and gotten the same. 

This was Mrazek's one year "show me" contract too. He has shown us to be the #53 best goalie. 

Mrazek’s GAA is #13 of all goalies that have played at least 25 games. He is #18 overall if you don’t count games played.

That is ahead of some very high profile, high contract names.

Care to tell us where Ward ranks in GAA?

I’m not agreeing with you or disagreeing with you, just offering a fair perspective to Mrazek. He is not the “#53 goalie in the league.”

9 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Mrazek’s GAA is #13 of all goalies that have played at least 25 games. He is #18 overall if you don’t count games played.

That is ahead of some very high profile, high contract names.

Care to tell us where Ward ranks in GAA?

I’m not agreeing with you or disagreeing with you, just offering a fair perspective to Mrazek. He is not the “#53 goalie in the league.”

It's fine to disagree. I just think at some point save percentage tells the tale the best of all goalie stats. Some will disagree. Its just that wins and even GAA have more confounders and thus require more harmonization to explain them away. There are other things that can help teams win, like playing the puck extremely well, but at the end of the day the goalie needs to stop the puck. And they get X chances to do it and succeed Y number of times.

Goals against has shots faced factored in. Canes are #1 in the league in limiting shots against. Some argue that's harder to face fewer shots. But then ironically, the same people talk about how hard it is to face a lot of shots. McE is #10 in GAA. 

I will say that the GAA is what shows up on the scoreboard, so we've done OK, but really it can be argued that's because we limit shots better than any team in the league.

To me at some point if your save % is #56, there is an issue.

@remkin i wont quote the lengthy post but here is my response:

Ihave felt over the last month that Mrazek has done very well.  It is hard for to fault Mrazek for his save percentage when he is making big saves but a guy completely blanks on playing defense or gets whopped in a box out.  Could Mrazek give up less rebounds, maybe, but what goalie suppresses every puck?  

Yesterday, for example, we were down 2-0 after a first period we should have dominated. Was either of those goals on Mrazek even though the team played with zero energy?  Maybe the first he could have gotten over faster but I feel like that was on the team more.  The Calgary game is the same. Mrazek played well enough to win but team didn’t play well enough in front of him to give him a solid chance to make the other saves. 

Im not saying Mrazek is worth keeping for half a decade but, his 5 hole isn’t always open and he can use his glove hand.  Tgat feeds into your point but, I am okay with it because he gives us a chance to win.

1 hour ago, cclifford10 said:

I understand yoou point. My counterpoint is those two will need someone who is more defensively responsible to cover their weaknesses. Also someone with a veteran feel for the game to anticipate where the puck is going. Duchene a good skill match but not the defensive match they will need to be successful.

6 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I understand yoou point. My counterpoint is those two will need someone who is more defensively responsible to cover their weaknesses. Also someone with a veteran feel for the game to anticipate where the puck is going. Duchene a good skill match but not the defensive match they will need to be successful.

That is a fair point and should be considered for sure. Necas is young, but seems very responsible in the A. We might be able to protect that line defensively. We will have the Aho and Staal lines for tougher matchups. Just a pipe dream anyway. Staal or Kuok will probably be 2c next year.

56 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

@remkin i wont quote the lengthy post but here is my response:

Ihave felt over the last month that Mrazek has done very well.  It is hard for to fault Mrazek for his save percentage when he is making big saves but a guy completely blanks on playing defense or gets whopped in a box out.  Could Mrazek give up less rebounds, maybe, but what goalie suppresses every puck?  

Yesterday, for example, we were down 2-0 after a first period we should have dominated. Was either of those goals on Mrazek even though the team played with zero energy?  Maybe the first he could have gotten over faster but I feel like that was on the team more.  The Calgary game is the same. Mrazek played well enough to win but team didn’t play well enough in front of him to give him a solid chance to make the other saves. 

Im not saying Mrazek is worth keeping for half a decade but, his 5 hole isn’t always open and he can use his glove hand.  Tgat feeds into your point but, I am okay with it because he gives us a chance to win.

I just think at some point the save % stat lies less than our eyeballs. But that's a constant debate. Eyeballs vs stats. Both lie!

1 hour ago, remkin said:

. . .

What I'm sensing is that McE is the guy we'd like to keep, as our numbers guru can clearly see way past what I'm putting here, but McE, as a UFA, probably doesn't want to stay here. (Just guessing). 

. . .

Ok, probably meaningless, but when Mac came out with his new completely white pads my first thought was "those would work with any team in the league".

Last I heard he was looking for a house and bringing his family down to Raleigh.  Anyone know more details?  Gotta believe he's renting rather than buying, but anyone know if his family is here?   Unless he has some ties to a former team, or a Cup contender is interested, can't see why he wouldn't be interested in staying with the Canes if the feeling was reciprocal. 

46 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Ok, probably meaningless, but when Mac came out with his new completely white pads my first thought was "those would work with any team in the league".

Last I heard he was looking for a house and bringing his family down to Raleigh.  Anyone know more details?  Gotta believe he's renting rather than buying, but anyone know if his family is here?   Unless he has some ties to a former team, or a Cup contender is interested, can't see why he wouldn't be interested in staying with the Canes if the feeling was reciprocal. 

I'm speculating. I hope McE wants to stay. I'm going by Waddell's comments, and the fact that getting waived and us picking him up leaves really no idea of what he might think of playing here. Not sure if he's been asked, but don't recall him saying anything about loving it here or wanting to stay. And historically Raleigh has been a bit of a goalie hell. 

I hope he wants to stay because I think he'd be the ultimate #2.

Jonathon Huberdeau is the most recent name to pop up on the trade list.  Florida wants Bobrovsky and Panarin badly.  They are wanting to move out Hub's salary in order to make room for those two 10+ million salaries.  

JH would be an awesome addition to the squad. A hybrid W/C that is signed long term to a very nice contract.  I'd be the third wheel in their deal with Columbus so we could get JH.  JH between Ferland and Turbo would be good.  And then he could slide over to the LW when Necas is ready to be a center. JH has a very good 57% FO% too. 

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Jonathon Huberdeau is the most recent name to pop up on the trade list.  Florida wants Bobrovsky and Panarin badly.  They are wanting to move out Hub's salary in order to make room for those two 10+ million salaries.  

JH would be an awesome addition to the squad. A hybrid W/C that is signed long term to a very nice contract.  I'd be the third wheel in their deal with Columbus so we could get JH.  JH between Ferland and Turbo would be good.  And then he could slide over to the LW when Necas is ready to be a center. JH has a very good 57% FO% too. 

Not really a fan of him  and  we need a guy who can shoot right  and   i think  Hub's  shoots left , which is a no go  for us . 

6 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Not really a fan of him  and  we need a guy who can shoot right  and   i think  Hub's  shoots left , which is a no go  for us . 

He is a left shot and I agree we do need a right shot.  He isnt a perfect add but he is an ideal candidate for a hockey move, if available.

12 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

He is a left shot and I agree we do need a right shot.  He isnt a perfect add but he is an ideal candidate for a hockey move, if available.

It kinda sucks that the list of players are all going to be ufa or they are in our own division  .  outside of the division   there is not much room there .   Jacob Siflverberg  maybe ? if we could not get mark stone ?

Edited by Canesfanforever

Patrick Brown called up to provide insurance for the Canes for tomorrow's game.  Ferland didnt practice, due to soreness.  Supposedly, they are calling for over a foot of snow in Ottawa so, the crew brought in Brown today versus waiting until tomorrow.

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Patrick Brown called up to provide insurance for the Canes for tomorrow's game.  Ferland didnt practice, due to soreness.  Supposedly, they are calling for over a foot of snow in Ottawa so, the crew brought in Brown today versus waiting until tomorrow.

I like Brown and would suggest that Ferland's recent play and Brown's are not that different. Of course Ferland did handle that fight pretty well yesterday. 

Getzlaf to the Canes would be awesome, but not sure what that would take? Just trying some outside the box thinking, as there's chatter on him moving, but have to think that chances of that happening are about the same as me winning the lottery? Another Ryan though, Dzingel, might be attainable? Is that a possibility if Ottawa wants to deal? Possibly we could pick him up exiting the game tonight? 

Getzlaf would be a huge move. This is an elite 1C over his career, who is having a down year. He is dominant when on his game, but as a playmaker. Last year he had 11 goals...and 61 points in 56 games. 

Something is way off in his game this year. His plus/minus, historically always a plus (+20 last year) is -21 and second last on the team and his .72 ppg is low for him. This has been a ppg guy in nearly every season of the past 11 before this year. 

He's 33 but has only two seasons left on his $8.6 million/season deal after this one. Not necessarily prime years, but probably still productive. The key to me is scouting him. Why is he in decline this year? But even if we are buying 2.3 years of subprime Getzlaf, if he could get his 200 foot game back, he'd really help us transition as our younger guys get better, and .7 ppg is still pretty good.

Really the key would be what we'd have to give up. Somehow I think a team would have to overpay. Almost pay for prime Getzlaff, which right now he's not. 

Getzlaf will make 8.25 million next season and 6 his final season.  A little bit of declining insurance there.  He is a set up guy and putting him with Svech could be very nice.

much like Nino, a change in scenery and fortune could do him some good.  Might boost that performance.

Edited by gocanes0506

17 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Getzlaf will make 8.25 million next season and 6 his final season.  

I was looking at Perry. You're right a few hundo thousand less. 

Dougie Hamilton's name is now one of the top 4 most probable people to move at the deadline.  Supposedly the chance of him moving has grown exponentially over the last 10 days. 

Does he want out because he isnt on PP1, are we that committed to Faulk, or Dougie the defender that everyone wants?  Supposedly we're talking to Edmonton about him.   

Faulk on PP1 continues to be a head scratcher to me, but I guess I have no vote? I just can't see giving up on Dougie but I suppose if his "get" from a team, any one, is more than what Justin could bring in, than we've got to look at the overall picture? I'm hoping it's not for RNH, but Draisaitl?

Edited by KJUNKANE