The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

11 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Faulk on PP1 continues to be a head scratcher to me, but I guess I have no vote? I just can't see giving up on Dougie but I suppose if his "get" from a team, any one, is more than what Justin could bring in, than we've got to look at the overall picture? I'm hoping it's not for RNH, but Draisaitl?

We're gonna have to send them a bunch more than Dougie Hamilton if we want Leon on a plane coming here. No way I see them dealing him with the season he's having and the deal they just did. RNH I could see them doing for Dougie and a second or third rounder.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

We're gonna have to send them a bunch more than Dougie Hamilton if we want Leon on a plane coming here. No way I see them dealing him with the season he's having and the deal they just did. RNH I could see them doing for Dougie and a second or third rounder.

Would that help top, I mean I think I recall some locker room issues associated with that player, but I might be thinking of someone else? He is a centerman though.

14 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Would that help top, I mean I think I recall some locker room issues associated with that player, but I might be thinking of someone else? He is a centerman though.

Less issues in the room than just a sense that he underperformed his first overall draft position. Like every other Oiler #1 overall pick--until McJesus.

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Dougie Hamilton's name is now one of the top 4 most probable people to move at the deadline.  Supposedly the chance of him moving has grown exponentially over the last 10 days. 

Does he want out because he isnt on PP1, are we that committed to Faulk, or Dougie the defender that everyone wants?  Supposedly we're talking to Edmonton about him.   

Well I hope we get something good for him and sign Fox, because if Dougie is traded, and Ferland goes as expected, there goes the entire return for Lindholm (jerk) and Hanifin. I guess you can’t worry about where you were, rather worry about where you are going, but still ...

If it's Dougie to the Oil I've got to believe it would be RNH coming back.  According to Oil fans he's developed into a solid 2-way player and he'd fill the 2C spot we so desperately need.  I've never heard a mention of any issues with him (perhaps Kjun is thinking of Duchene?)

On  the other hand, Tripp just mentioned that Dougie was playing with a finger injury for the first part of the season; I wonder how much that affected his play?  When we traded for him he was supposedly one of the top 15 or so d-men in the league.  If we trade him now would we be selling low?  Is he really the player we've seen over the past month or so rather than the one we saw for the first couple months of the season?

• Like 1

RNH is the next Taylor Hall

Mark it down. If it's there, go get him. Screw the Calgary trade (of course only if Fox is signed). It's done and done. We have several D in the stable. If it's Hamilton then so be it. Solid C's don't grown on trees. And he's got a little bit of term. I think most of the locker room junk was with Lucic if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by sleekfeeder
  • Like 1

Okay it was vague whom I was thinking I heard the about, and maybe Lake is correct, it may've been Duchene? Looking at his stats, I am not sure I'm overly impressed? Averages less than 20 goals/yr, 34 assists/yr, seems to get hurt a lot? With the way Dougie seems trending, coupled with the news that he was nursing an injury, I think he's an overpayment for RNH.

Edited by KJUNKANE

8 hours ago, sleekfeeder said:

RNH is the next Taylor Hall

I agree, he just needs to get out of there. The only concern I'd have is that he's lived in that region his entire life (BC born and raised), so it'd be an adjustment, but given his time in the league he should be fine.

• Like 1

Im pretty torn on this. If the team continues to play as it has since the beginning of the year how much help do they really need? They have been on of the top 3 team in that span. But I know help is needed to make up for the Nov-Dec stretch. Also what do we do with Staal when he comes back and who gets sent down. Staal gets the faceoff win % back up and fills some other roles, but they have been so good without him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derailed75 said:

Im pretty torn on this. If the team continues to play as it has since the beginning of the year how much help do they really need? They have been on of the top 3 team in that span. But I know help is needed to make up for the Nov-Dec stretch. Also what do we do with Staal when he comes back and who gets sent down. Staal gets the faceoff win % back up and fills some other roles, but they have been so good without him.

These are all good points as I've pondered the same thoughts. First off, there is ZERO reason to rush Staal back. (eh ok maybe faceoffs a bit) But when he does come back, I think you use his recent health history to slot him LOW (no dings against him, love the dude, but he hasnt shown any offensive juices this year). Bring him in for key draws. Of course that is all much easier to execute if we do bring in another C. Wallmart is great and all, but lets be honest with ourselves, "he's no Sharon Stone". 

Edited by sleekfeeder

The road trip is over. Less than 2 weeks to trade deadline. I have no idea what we will do.My inclination is not to trade Ferland, My inclination is still to move one right side D. My inclination is to listen to offers on Mrazek because we still need to address our future goalie need , My inclination is to not make any deal unless it clearly addresses a future need like a second line center.

My first inclination is probable the only one that is fact and  that is I have no idea what Waddell and company will do.

5 minutes ago, OBXer said:

The road trip is over. Less than 2 weeks to trade deadline. I have no idea what we will do.My inclination is not to trade Ferland, My inclination is still to move one right side D. My inclination is to listen to offers on Mrazek because we still need to address our future goalie need , My inclination is to not make any deal unless it clearly addresses a future need like a second line center.

My first inclination is probable the only one that is fact and  that is I have no idea what Waddell and company will do.

Sporting news has Ferland and Hamilton in the top 10 likely to move before the deadline.  Whatever that means.

This Hamilton has smoke in trade discussions or just pure speculation.  I am not sure.  I would assume Pesce isnt available and Hamilton is named because he has more value than Faulk or TVR on the right side.  

8 minutes ago, OBXer said:

My inclination is to not make any deal unless it clearly addresses a future need like a second line center.

Amen to this.

There were complaints about Francis not 'rewarding' the guys by doing nothing at the deadline after a good push.  The guys have done pretty much everything that could be asked of them over the past month and a half, even if they did their typical laydown to start the last 2 road games (and whatever that mess was a couple weeks ago).  Reward them.  Find more help, but be smart about it - no mortgaging the future for a run.  In regards to Ferland, look to trade him if he specifically requests it - otherwise, he's our rental (and hopefully future as well, but one step at a time).  Same with M & M - we can debate how good they really are or where they fit in the future plans, but they've given us a chance to win pretty much every night and we're not going to get anyone better between now and the deadline.  If i'm wrong and TB is dangling Vasilevskiy, then of course - but i feel pretty confident that isn't happening.   Decide which RHD isn't in the plans for next year and/or will get the best return, and go shopping.  We have picks and prospects that can be thrown in, as long as, again, we're smart about it.  If the guys start crapping the bed between now and then, then stop, but right now we have to consider ourselves buyers.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

There were complaints about Francis not 'rewarding' the guys by doing nothing at the deadline after a good push.  The guys have done pretty much everything that could be asked of them over the past month and a half, even if they did their typical laydown to start the last 2 road games (and whatever that mess was a couple weeks ago).  Reward them.  Find more help, but be smart about it - no mortgaging the future for a run.  In regards to Ferland, look to trade him if he specifically requests it - otherwise, he's our rental (and hopefully future as well, but one step at a time).  Same with M & M - we can debate how good they really are or where they fit in the future plans, but they've given us a chance to win pretty much every night and we're not going to get anyone better between now and the deadline.  If i'm wrong and TB is dangling Vasilevskiy, then of course - but i feel pretty confident that isn't happening.   Decide which RHD isn't in the plans for next year and/or will get the best return, and go shopping.  We have picks and prospects that can be thrown in, as long as, again, we're smart about it.  If the guys start crapping the bed between now and then, then stop, but right now we have to consider ourselves buyers.

I want to thumbs this up more than once, but can't. 

With Staal being an uncertainty for now and the future I'd revisit  a trade we discussed at length last year as it may make more sense now. Colorado is crappong the bed and may consider themselves sellers. I'd RIng up Joe again and offer D+ if we can wrestle Landeskog from his grips. We need a center. Jordan is iffy and Landeskog has some years left on the contract. Colorados still needs D so let's sweeten the pot with Faulk or Dougie and prospects. C'mon Joe, let's dance.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Okay it was vague whom I was thinking I heard the about, and maybe Lake is correct, it may've been Duchene? Looking at his stats, I am not sure I'm overly impressed? Averages less than 20 goals/yr, 34 assists/yr, seems to get hurt a lot? With the way Dougie seems trending, coupled with the news that he was nursing an injury, I think he's an overpayment for RNH.

On another board, 1.5 to 2 years ago, I proposed a Faulk for RNH trade (back when we might well have been able to get RNH+ in exchange for Faulk :().  Part of my calculus was that I was projecting that going forward RNH would likely average 25-30 goals and mid 60s pts.  The next season he was asked to play a shut down role on the third line according to Oil fans, and he put up only 18g and 43 pts, but supposedly did quite well in that new role.  Last season he put up 24g and 48p in only 62 games (32g, 64pt pace).  This season he's on a 25g, 77pt pace.

I'd still project RNH as putting up at least 25-30 g and 65-70 pts going forward, and playing a solid 2-way game while doing so.  If we could get him for anything that wasn't exorbitant I'd say go for it.  Problem is, Oil are extremely shallow at forward so I can't see them moving anyone we'd want.  Depth wise, they make us look like Tampa Bay, lol.  E.g., their 3rd line C is Brad Malone and they have Ty Rattie on the 4th (remember his time with the Canes? not surprised if you don't).   The more I think about it, the only way I see the Oil trading RNH is if they package him to get back several lesser but still quality players in return, at least one a forward.  I can't see them putting McDavid through a complete rebuild.

8 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Gibson in IR. Maybe Ducks motivated to tank and want to move players? 

But the majority of the Ducks players are at the age that you bring them in for a cup run not a playoff push

7 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

But the majority of the Ducks players are at the age that you bring them in for a cup run not a playoff push

Or a playoff push that starts a cup run :rockon:

• Like 1

The way Dougie is playing lately, not sure I'm so eager to move him. Starting to see that guy we thought we were getting.

7 goals in the past 19 games. That's goals, not points. And that's being not on the first pp unit. And his D has been better.

11 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

Im pretty torn on this. If the team continues to play as it has since the beginning of the year how much help do they really need? 

They need help if they want a shot at going deep in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

The way Dougie is playing lately, not sure I'm so eager to move him. Starting to see that guy we thought we were getting.

7 goals in the past 19 games. That's goals, not points. And that's being not on the first pp unit. And his D has been better.

I specifically stated he would get his goals.  He takes time to come on.