The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

35 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

They need help if they want a shot at going deep in the playoffs. 

Maybe but the way the team has played since Jan 1 the only teams I would be afraid of are the Flames and the Bolts.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

The way Dougie is playing lately, not sure I'm so eager to move him. Starting to see that guy we thought we were getting.

7 goals in the past 19 games. That's goals, not points. And that's being not on the first pp unit. And his D has been better.

Like Ferland it all depends on the return. I'd  trade both if the return was good. I'd trade Ferland to team X for a first round pick then offer our pick and Dougie to Colorado for Landeskog. Since most reports are saying we aren't signing Ferland we might as well get something. Bring up Fleury and we have Skog for the stretch run and two more years on his contract. It's time to break up Colorado's remaining core as they have gone nowhere for years.

So basically I amnhesring the Lindy trade was a total bust then.  We want to trade away Dougie and Ferland and have high Hopes on the fairy tale known as Fix who has yet to play a single NHL game.

Edited by bluedevil58

4 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

So basically I amnhesring the Lindy trade was a total bust then.  We want to trade away Dougie and Ferland and have high Hopes on the fairy tale known as Fix who has yet to play a single NHL game.

I think BASICALLY you are hearing fans speculating in a fantasy world, but then bd58, you can hear what you put your mind to hear? What makes this all fun is that there's as many points of view as there are participants, and all are interesting.

4 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I get that.  But if we trade both Dougie and Ferland then the trade was a failure.

It depends on what we get for Dougie and Ferland, I guess. But I agree it’s disappointing to give up 2 young top 5 picks and part with the return, or the known quantity in the return, within a year. But it could work out. We didn’t have Monahan and Gaudreau to play with Lindholm, and I’m not sure Hanifin is setting the world on fire in Calgary. So it’s possible that we end up with is a better fit. I think maybe Hamilton is being floated because they don’t like the return they are being offered for the player he was supposed to replace (Faulk).

2 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Why?Shouldn't it depend on what the return is? That they stay or not is immaterial if the team is strengthened?

Guess I should have waited for bluedevilcane to post??? My bad. That's been the hardest concept for me to adjust to in this sport, and that is the fluidity that is a part of the game. Just when I get attached to a player, they often are traded and I've got to fixate on another. Additionally, the idea that players are "assets" is to me like scraping one's nails across a chalk board, I HATE IT. But that's part of the game and most players seem to accept it. So, I'm not disappointed that our 2 top 5 picks gave us players that now MAY be moved, only that things didn't seem to work out. Still, both may stay, who knows.

Edited by KJUNKANE

51 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I get that.  But if we trade both Dougie and Ferland then the trade was a failure.

You can think of that trade as a sunk cost; it's done.  The committee needs to make the best moves possible to improve the team going forward.  The worst thing it could do is to make sub optimal (or no) moves in order to make past trades "look" better.  

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

Watching this game on NBCSN. Oilers need a PP QB something awful. Pens scored a SHG and they were all just standing around watching. Those guys look lost and a definite shakeup.

10 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Guess I should have waited for bluedevilcane to post??? My bad. That's been the hardest concept for me to adjust to in this sport, and that is the fluidity that is a part of the game. Just when I get attached to a player, they often are traded and I've got to fixate on another. Additionally, the idea that players are "assets" is to me like scraping one's nails across a chalk board, I HATE IT. But that's part of the game and most players seem to accept it. So, I'm not disappointed that our 2 top 5 picks gave us players that now MAY be moved, only that things didn't seem to work out. Still, both may stay, who knows.

Yeah, the "mercenary" aspect of pro sports can be tough on us fans. But as far as the players, what's the minimum salary these days, $700k?, with the better players well into the millions.  Hopefully that level of compensation, to do something they presumably love, helps to reduce the downside of being treated as an asset. 

There is no reason to trade Hamilton.  Although he started out the year slow, he has been very good the past 2 months.  Heating up just like the Calgary fans mentioned that he gets better as the year progresses.  

He really ahould br the QB for the power play.  I’m not sure why the Canes have stuck with Faulk instead.

for all the negative comments on this board about Hamilton, he still has 10 goals so far.  

The brass made the big trade at the draft.  I agree that moving on from the acquired players signals that the it was a bad trade when in reality it was a good one.  Hamilton was the best player in the whole deal.  I don’t care what Lindy does, because he never would’ve accomplished the same things with the Canes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iceman11 said:

There is no reason to trade Hamilton.  Although he started out the year slow, he has been very good the past 2 months.  Heating up just like the Calgary fans mentioned that he gets better as the year progresses.  

He really ahould br the QB for the power play.  I’m not sure why the Canes have stuck with Faulk instead.

for all the negative comments on this board about Hamilton, he still has 10 goals so far.  

The brass made the big trade at the draft.  I agree that moving on from the acquired players signals that the it was a bad trade when in reality it was a good one.  Hamilton was the best player in the whole deal.  I don’t care what Lindy does, because he never would’ve accomplished the same things with the Canes.

He's also a **** face.

10 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

Maybe but the way the team has played since Jan 1 the only teams I would be afraid of are the Flames and the Bolts.

I understand that and sorta-kinda feel the same--except that playoff hockey is a whole different animal. The deeper you are, the better your chances of going deep.

6 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

No way the Canes are going to give up on Hamilton.  Fans, yeah.  Just like the other guy that got almost no support.   

That other guy got support when his play has warranted it. Which has finally happened this year, for the first time in four seasons. Could you get away with that at your job?

Have to agree, Faulk has been good this year but that doesn’t undo his recent bad years/seasons.

The criticism was warranted, especially when you consider he was named co-captain last year and showed zero captain-like qualities.

11 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

No, not if the return gets you an elite player.

11 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Fox.

8 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

No way the Canes are going to give up on Hamilton.  Fans, yeah.  Just like the other guy that got almost no support.   

I would bet TVR somewhere to open a spot for Fox

Not giving up on DH but like every other player if the return fills a bigger hole go for it. Our D depth can address our O depth.

3 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Not giving up on DH but like every other player if the return fills a bigger hole go for it. Our D depth can address our O depth.

I agree, but would still prefer Faulk getting dealt, especially knowing what we now do about Hamilton's injury.

If Roddy's so dad-blame serious about changing the culture, then by-God change it. The fact that Faulk suddenly found his D game once it became clear that we were willing to move out top players only confirms (for me) that he was slacking for a long, long time. Accountability, in my mind, looks a whole lot like a place near the arctic circle... but I have a sneaky feeling Edmonton is not on his list of 15 acceptable destinations.