The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

Sportsnet tweet about a trade

Sportsnet saying we’ve had discussions with TML the past week. May trade for Kadri instead of Nylander. I guess TML values Nylander over Kadri and they need to dump some salary to get the big 4 with Kapanen inside the cap.

I’d easily take a Kadri for Faulk swap.

Kadri centering Necasnichov could be really legit. Or Kadri with Svech and Martinook would still be good.

I was suggesting Kadri a while ago (after Adam Gold did first). He plays with an edge, but can also light the lamp. I'd do Faulk for him too. I know Faulk has been playing better, but I'd still do it. I don't think Faulk brings back Nylander. 

• Like 1

I just don’t get the obsession with trading Faulk. He is largely responsible for our last 2 wins. Or at least to be given much credit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cc said:

I just don’t get the obsession with trading Faulk. He is largely responsible for our last 2 wins. Or at least to be given much credit.

He is the shortest term defender we have that has serious trade value. Plus we have Fox and Bean in the system who could take his spot.  Fox sooner than Bean.

I don’t think we’ll be able to afford a 28 million dollar defense with our offense actually using up money after this season.

We have Fleury, Martin, Bean, Fox, etc trying to break in. Hamilton is capable of shooting the puck without abandon too.

Edited by gocanes0506

8 hours ago, remkin said:

I was suggesting Kadri a while ago (after Adam Gold did first). He plays with an edge, but can also light the lamp. I'd do Faulk for him too. I know Faulk has been playing better, but I'd still do it. I don't think Faulk brings back Nylander. 

This js the first I’ve seen of Kadri’s name thrown out there.

the only reason I see TML trading him is they cannot afford a 4.5 million dollar 3C that isn’t going to get O chances. I don’t understand how you trade a 30 goal, 4.5 mil AAV center though. 

18 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Plus we have Fox and Bean in the system who could take his spot

Eventually perhaps but not at this point. Unless we are rebuilding again you don't replace a second pair D vet with an unproven rookie no matter how talented they are.

If you trade Faulk there are ways to reformat your defense but I doubt Fox or Bean are on the flow chart, maybe next season or the following.

33 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

He is the shortest term defender we have that has serious trade value. Plus we have Fox and Bean in the system who could take his spot.  Fox sooner than Bean.

I don’t think we’ll be able to afford a 28 million dollar defense with our offense actually using up money after this season.

We have Fleury, Martin, Bean, Fox, etc trying to break in. Hamilton is capable of shooting the puck without abandon too.

While I would have gladly traded Faulk before the season started, I am starting to like his game so far this year.  Not as many brain farts, playing much better D, physical, and engaged.  Bean does not look close to being NHL ready, and Fox has not been signed so he is not really in the system.  At this point I don't think I would do a Faulk for Kadri straight up.  Maybe TVR for Kadri. 

I would be surprised to see TML let Nylander leave.

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Eventually perhaps but not at this point. Unless we are rebuilding again you don't replace a second pair D vet with an unproven rookie no matter how talented they are.

If you trade Faulk there are ways to reformat your defense but I doubt Fox or Bean are on the flow chart, maybe next season or the following.

We have Fleury ready now and Fox ready when TVR’s contract is up.  We’re good on D now and in the future.

The sample size(10 games) is still too small to assess what trades if any we might do.  Knee jerk action is not needed . Revisit after 10 more games as this team begins/continues to jell.  There is still the Darling situation to evaluate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

We have Fleury ready now and Fox ready when TVR’s contract is up.  We’re good on D now and in the future.

If we traded Faulk I think Fluery would be the obvious call-up. You could move Pesce back with Slavin. Hamilton with deHann an Fluery with TVR. we also have Carrick, Caikovsky and Bean that could skate left side 3rd pair. McKeown could be an extra if desired. All I'm saying is we shouldn't kid ourselves that any of these players could replace Faulk in the now. If it wasn't for Pesce versatility you couldn't make this kind of move without getting a Dman back.

Having said that the same third pair scenario plays out with a Pesce trade. You can't really replace him either in the now but it is an option.

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

This js the first I’ve seen of Kadri’s name thrown out there.

On here? I've been mentioning it and it's been discussed intermittently since August. Search remkin and Kadri on the board search.

Adam Gold put it in his published article about the time I posted this:

Posted  remkin said:

Adam Gold article on WRAL.com was mostly what we all know, but he did throw the idea of Faulk for Nasim Kadri out there. 

Interesting idea. He plays with an edge, probably even a bit dirty, but then we are trying to get harder to play against, and the guy is a center and did put up 32 goals each of the past two years. 

I think it was thrown out there in the rumor mill somewhere else too, but I can't remember where.

He's putting up points, but a slow start on goals and while way too soon to care, he's at the bottom of the team at -6 on a team with a +6 overall. As always, I think this stat has value only over long stretches. Last year he was mid pack, but two years ago, was bottom. Hopefully our fancy stats department has his actual "does winning things" stats down. If he's actually bad at it, then pass.

But for a team trying to gain some "edge" and edgy guys who can score too. This guy is definitely that.

Nylander would be gold, but Kadri could be silver.

Two caveats: 1. He's a bit of a punk on the ice. We need to make sure that doesn't carry into the locker room. This team does not need to disrupt that. 2. The plus-minus issue, but through fancier stats. If we think those two are good, I'd do it. Still prefer Nylander vastly though.

Faulk is playing better. I get that Faulk is sort of a Rorschach test at this point. We we all tend to see what we see. (including yours truly).

I like his game better this year. He is just a tad on this side of the risk equation, but it has been mostly working.

He is still playing high risk though. He had a couple of brutal high risk moves just last night, one that led to a breakaway. If they'd have buried that, it would have been one phenomenal D play and one give right back D play, and we'd have lost and been less happy. Still, he has improved in this area. Overall, he handles the puck and passes well. And there's the bomb shot. I feel better about Faulk, but you have to give to get, and we have Fleury in Charlotte and TVR not that great on his off side, playing his off side. We've got a sort of high risk, bombs away RHD in Hamilton too. And Faulk's high risk game can easily slide back to the negative side over time too. Maybe his improved play gives us rising value in a trade. 

Really though, he's the only D for O move likely bring anything back. I get that things feel pretty good right now, but I still try to improve the skill level up front. 

Not on here, on trusted media.  Kadri hasn’t been mentioned as a trade possibility. Gold is far from trusted media. His more about speculation based on value.

Kadri’s opportunities have completely changed. He isn’t getting the offensive opportunities and playing with lesser talented wingers.  He doesn’t have a Nylander or Marner on his line.

he is being asked to be the shutdown guy versus the 2nd scoring option.  He’d be the 2nd scoring option here behind Aho.

29 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Not on here, on trusted media.  Kadri hasn’t been mentioned as a trade possibility. Gold is far from trusted media. His more about speculation based on value.

I thought you said you've never seen his name thrown out there. But if you mean valid rumors from guys like McKenzie, Dregger, etc., then I agree. It's been speculation that this is a potentially good hockey trade. But WRAL would qualify for being "thown out there".  If the sportsnet thing is more substantive, then that is a fair point, and more interesting.

I just read, I can't remember where but it was just the other day that Kadri could be a salary move to keep Nylander. If that is the case, Toronto won't give him away but wouldn't that bring his return value down a little. If the Leafs need to move him instead of want to move him they might be open to reasonable return instead of a great return.

Reading the Rumor Mill this morning some speculation we might be looking more at getting secondary scoring than that big move. The speculation is that we might achieve that without trading away a top-4 Dman. Of course there is still plenty of speculation we are looking at a Nylander move.

On 10/27/2018 at 12:09 AM, cc said:

I just don’t get the obsession with trading Faulk. He is largely responsible for our last 2 wins.

Out of our last 174 games. Wow, what an "All-Star defenseman."

IMO Faulk is playing better BECAUSE of the trade talk, not in spite of it. I'd be willing to bet he and Roddy had a quite a little heart-to-heart after he started this season as poorly as he finished the last.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

IMO Faulk is playing better BECAUSE of the trade talk, not in spite of it

Motivation can pop up in the strangest ways. I don't doubt it plays into it. Don't you think without the Peters shackles and with a better D-partner that Faulk now has a trust factor going allowing him to play his game? He looks more like the Faulk that skated with Hainsey than the Faulk forced to skate with the talented but still learning Hanifin or Fluery.

Anyway just to add more smoke to the smouldering fire, I read that Hurricanes Senior VP of Hockey Operations Rick Dudley and pro scout Mark Craig were expected to take in Saturday night’s game in Toronto against the Winnipeg Jets..

On 10/26/2018 at 7:21 PM, gocanes0506 said:

Kadri centering Necasnichov could be really legit.

Or Kadri could target someone's head, and we lose him for 20 games. 

He plays with the same kind of "edge" Tom Wilson does. Which is to say he targets the head. That's really unfortunate, because he doesn't need to play dirty to be effective. He has cleaned up his act since his last suspension (in '16) and (lo and behold) has had his two best seasons, scoring over 30 goals in both. Hopefully he's learned his lesson.

14 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Motivation can pop up in the strangest ways. I don't doubt it plays into it. Don't you think without the Peters shackles and with a better D-partner that Faulk now has a trust factor going allowing him to play his game? He looks more like the Faulk that skated with Hainsey than the Faulk forced to skate with the talented but still learning Hanifin or Fluery.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: When you're making $60k a game and need trade rumors or a trip to the wood shed to "motivate" you, something's wrong.

All BP did was give Faulk an assignment that any genuine All Star (let alone Captain, co- or otherwise) would not only fulfill, but relish: to mentor young players by showing them how to play. That he opted instead to hang his rookie partners out to dry, instead of teaching them defensive responsibility first, was his choice. Blaming Peters for Faulk's poor play is ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Blaming Peters for Faulk's poor play is ridiculous.

I'm not blaming Peters. Just pointing out what I observe. You know as well as I do that some players. even the best don't play well for some coaches or systems. It isn't because they don't want to it is just that they  can't. Mostly I believe that Faulk was handcuffed by his partners the last few seasons. He was not without blame as it has been widely reported he came into camp in much better shape this season than the previous season.

Anyway I asked and respect your opinion although I don't agree with it. The real question is now that he is playing more like the Faulk we expect, do we want to use him to get a top line scorer. Maybe, maybe not. Once you get the personal like and dislike for a player out of the way the same question applies to Pesce. If the goal is Nylander than are you willing to sacrifice what is a pretty good D-corp for the deal.

As for me we have only one untouchable on D and that's Slavin. Although I feel compelled to point out even Slavin, one of the best in the league has been exposed more than once this season. Why? Because he is skating with Hamilton. Hamilton may be a better version in many minds but he is still the same type of Dman as Faulk. It puts lots of responsibility on their partners and can some times leave them Slavin or deHann in an impossible position. That's the tradeoff with a puck moving Dman. .

37 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Although I feel compelled to point out even Slavin, one of the best in the league has been exposed more than once this season. Why? Because he is skating with Hamilton. Hamilton may be a better version in many minds but he is still the same type of Dman as Faulk. It puts lots of responsibility on their partners and can some times leave them Slavin or deHann in an impossible position. That's the tradeoff with a puck moving Dman. .

This is a good point. It's been too small of a sample size, but so far it really does look like Hamilton is a bigger, maybe better offensively, version of Faulk. I think Faulk actually moves the puck better, but Hamilton has more complete offensive upside. Trip mentioned last night that Hamilton looked more like the guy we traded for, and I'd add that now that one has gone in, he might get the confidence to bring the O up a notch. But do we need two guys like that? Faulk has had a couple of very good games, though his style is exposed at the same time. It's hardest to talk of trading a guy when he's going well, but then it would seem that's also when his stock is higher.

I get that there are two distinct camps on Faulk, but the there is so much smoke around us making a trade, including the message that we're open for business. Who else are we planning to trade? I guess it could be a smaller move for prospects, but I still think it's Faulk. I keep thinking about Fox too. Eventually, we really really want to sign that guy. If I'm him, I look at our current RHD and think, "where would I fit?", and hold out and sign somewhere else. That guy is the real offensive deal.

9 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

One of these things contradicts the other. :D

Nonsense. Both can thrive in their own environment bit maybe not together.