The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

6 hours ago, sleekfeeder said:

I think it would have to be Faulk + some higher level offensive prospect. They showed a goal distribution on a pie chart last night during the game talking about their lack of scoring depth. I can't remember the exact numbers but basically it showed the McJesus and Draisaitl had a disproportionate amount of goals compared to the rest of the team. If they trade RNH, if they are getting a good D man, they are going to want some offense coming back in the deal along with that I imagine. 

Faulk plus anyone but Necas (or Bean, but you said an offensive prospect). I have my doubts that Faulk would accept a trade to Edmonton. If Sekera ever gets healthy, Faulk could reunite with him there. 

16 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Faulk plus anyone but Necas (or Bean, but you said an offensive prospect). I have my doubts that Faulk would accept a trade to Edmonton. If Sekera ever gets healthy, Faulk could reunite with him there. 

Sekera is currently healthy btw, and ready to go back in lineup it seems.

14 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Ferland said he hadn’t talk to Management. I wonder how many times his agent has though, that is key.

Minnesota has the green light. Granlund would sure be nice.

Granlund would be a nice piece to add. Might help the PP and add additional scoring.

I read this article on the Hockey Writers website:  https://thehockeywriters.com/toronto-maple-leafs-need-pesce-deadline/

Some Maple Leaf yahoo suggests that the "right" move is for Carolina to trade Pesce, the defensive minded RH shooting stay at home defender they long for, in exchange for either Kapanen or Johnsson AND that Carolina take on the defenseman Zaitsev's $4.5M contract that they want to be done with that runs through 2023-2024 to boot.  I got a huge laugh out of that.  Teams like the Maple Leafs think teams such as the Hurricanes exist to develop talent for them and then take on their problems.

OK, here is a counter proposal:  The Maple Leafs send Kapenan to Carolina for Justin Faulk or Dougie Hamilton AND Scott Darling's contract.  Works for me.

• Like 7

It is so hard to come up with fair hockey trades when you're a fan and Toronto fans seem to be the most deluded of all of them. 

• Like 1

Yeah, their homeristic following are proposing all kinds of one sided trades, most aimed at Pesce? Delusional is not strong enough to describe my feelings toward them.

• Like 1

9 days to TD, and wonder if Don Waddell has anything brewing? I know and agree that this team currently is not positioned for a "rental player" which could stymie our growth and set the team's steady improvement path back, but I keep hoping that a "got to make sense" type of trade could put us over the hump and bring at least one round of playoff hockey back to the triangle. The excitement for this team last was palpable and many YOUNG 1st time attendees were in the seats experiencing the passion of the game. In 326 in fact, we had 2 college age couples sitting next to us who were really into the game even though much of it was a grind. With another Western Conference team tonight, I expect no difference, so again I urge all that can be there, do so. The team feeds off the energy, and together we can make this happen. RELENTLESS II is coming at you, and Waddell, get on board, make it happen.

• Like 1

I would think that a hockey trade is going to be tough to get. So many teams needing and wanting another scorer. I just keep waiting and hoping we get one. I still want us to keep Ferland as our own rental or better yet resign him. There is a part of me that thinks if we can’t make that hockey trade maybe a modest rental wouldn’t be a bad idea if we are in a position for the playoffs come TD. This team and the fans haven’t had the taste of playoff hockey since 2009.  

DW already got one heck of a pre-deadline hockey trade out of the way with Nino, so he's already accomplished more on that front than his predecessor ever accomplished.  But yeah, another one would be beautimous.  I agree with C06c17, though - a(nother) hockey trade is going to be tough to get.  If DW can pull off that D-for-O trade, though, yowzie...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

9 days to TD, and wonder if Don Waddell has anything brewing?

I think he does but not sure he can make it happen. I would think he feels a little pressure to make a deal because although it is still an uphill climb we can sniff the playoffs, Attendance is up and excitement among fans is building. If we don't make a move and another contender(s) do and we lose the playoffs he opens himself to a lot of criticism. 

Of course we can't under estimate the value of the Nino trade so in a sense he has already made that move. Yet it is a what have you done for me lately world. I will guess Waddell and company are working hard to find a deal.

I'm going to play a hunch and say Ferland is now off the table. If we make a deal I expect it will be our defense for a offensive scorer. Although I think we mostly agree a top 6 center is our goal I think it is possible we go after a playoff experienced depth player with an offensive upside if a top 6 is unavailable.

the one thing I hope we don't do is make a trade just for the sake of a trade. I would rather ride with the team we have than make an iffy trade because you think you have to do something.

• Like 2

The Canes are RELEVANT and that makes this trading deadline interesting.  Management can choose to do anything ranging from making several moves to making no moves.

1) Moving Ferland in exchange for an asset, most likely a high draft pick.  This is a defensive move to ward against him leaving in free agency and receiving nothing in return.  Right now the cost of doing that in terms of affecting the playoff drive weighs this into the negative column, but you have to listen to every offer.

2) Moving a RH defenseman, from among Faulk, Hamilton, TVR, and Pesce, for a forward who can contribute now.  I am pretty much against moving Pesce, period.  TVR will only return a 3rd round pick at best.  Moving either Faulk or Hamilton for a quality scoring asset is productive.  Opening up a position for Fox to play and to get him to sign is a secondary positive consideration.

3) Acquiring a rental center, ala Kevin Hayes or Eric Staal.  Either could move onto the 2nd line, pushing Wallmark back down with Martinook and Svech, and moving McGinn down to play with Foegle and hopefully Jordan Staal.  If they gave up the equivalent to what they received for Eric Staal in exchange for either he or Hayes, I think that is worth it for the playoff drive.

Or, they can sit back and do nothing.  Jordan Staal's potential return is like getting a rental forward.  Not moving a RH defender could affect Fox's signing with the club, which would downgrade the Calgary trade in the wrong direction.

Looking forward to whatever happens.

• Like 1

I'll throw a contrarian card into the mix. I don't think a careful rental would be that crazy in terms of cost and going for it this year. We have two second rounders thanks to the massive return we got for Skinner, and while we've had pretty good luck with second rounders, if we keep Buffalos and trade ours, that could be a mid to late second rounder. If we got the right guy? Worth the price.

HOWEVER, I don't think we do that. Mainly because it appears we are getting Joran back and keeping Ferland. Now I get that Jordan has not been great this year, but with Aho-Jordan-Walmark down the middle and some really good wingers and good defense, and keeping Ferland and getting Nino, we really don't have an obvious need that is worth disrupting chemistry for a rental.

I have always agreed that a pre-deadline D for O "hockey trade" is the thing we want to do. They do happen. But they are still tough to pull off. Teams that are in it, are hesitant to trade a major player before the playoffs. For the most part, we'd need to trade with a team that is out of it. Then, it is still preferable to make these kinds of deals with a Western team. Well almost every team in the West is still in the hunt at least in theory and really only Edmonton (thanks in part to us), Anaheim, and LA are really out of it. In the East the NYR, Florida, Detroit, Ottawa, New Jersey are out, and really so is Philly, but they are surging and likely not ready to deal as if they're out.

Earlier Toronto might have looked at a Nylander not scoring and considered something, but in his last 10 games Nylander has, 10 points. Plus, it would be risky to trade him to us since we could end up facing them in the playoffs. 

So really the most likely deal would be with Edmonton, Anaheim, LA, NYR, Florida, Detroit, Ottawa or NJD based on standings. But the NJD are rebuilding as is NY. Not sure who these teams have that they would trade that we want. Stone, RNH.....but that's what Waddell is trying to find: A solid, youngish top 6 forward, with 60 plus point production, ideally center, with term who would like to play in Raleigh from a team that is out of it, and needs a RHD. 

It could happen, but it's a limited field. In the off-season, the field widens as teams have all missed going deep in the playoffs and are looking to make some changes. Could happen now, more likely to happen off-season. 

11 minutes ago, remkin said:

I'll throw a contrarian card into the mix. I don't think a careful rental would be that crazy in terms of cost and going for it this year. We have two second rounders thanks to the massive return we got for Skinner, and while we've had pretty good luck with second rounders, if we keep Buffalos and trade ours, that could be a mid to late second rounder. If we got the right guy? Worth the price.

HOWEVER, I don't think we do that. Mainly because it appears we are getting Joran back and keeping Ferland. Now I get that Jordan has not been great this year, but with Aho-Jordan-Walmark down the middle and some really good wingers and good defense, and keeping Ferland and getting Nino, we really don't have an obvious need that is worth disrupting chemistry for a rental.

I have always agreed that a pre-deadline D for O "hockey trade" is the thing we want to do. They do happen. But they are still tough to pull off. Teams that are in it, are hesitant to trade a major player before the playoffs. For the most part, we'd need to trade with a team that is out of it. Then, it is still preferable to make these kinds of deals with a Western team. Well almost every team in the West is still in the hunt at least in theory and really only Edmonton (thanks in part to us), Anaheim, and LA are really out of it. In the East the NYR, Florida, Detroit, Ottawa, New Jersey are out, and really so is Philly, but they are surging and likely not ready to deal as if they're out.

Earlier Toronto might have looked at a Nylander not scoring and considered something, but in his last 10 games Nylander has, 10 points. Plus, it would be risky to trade him to us since we could end up facing them in the playoffs. 

So really the most likely deal would be with Edmonton, Anaheim, LA, NYR, Florida, Detroit, Ottawa or NJD based on standings. But the NJD are rebuilding as is NY. Not sure who these teams have that they would trade that we want. Stone, RNH.....but that's what Waddell is trying to find: A solid, youngish top 6 forward, with 60 plus point production, ideally center, with term who would like to play in Raleigh from a team that is out of it, and needs a RHD. 

It could happen, but it's a limited field. In the off-season, the field widens as teams have all missed going deep in the playoffs and are looking to make some changes. Could happen now, more likely to happen off-season. 

I doubt that the Canes management is willing to pony up a 1st round draft pick to acquire the type of rental such as Stone and RNH, along with Duchene, that you refer to.  A rental such as Hayes or Eric Staal, or another centerman who would be an upgrade to what they are currently playing with, in exchange for a 2nd rounder, is a palatable exchange.  I like your thinking to hold onto Buffalo's pick and trade Carolina's.  Not a huge difference, but maybe/hopefully a few picks difference.

I wonder what is going on in any potential Fox negotiations, and how that will play out.

17 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I doubt that the Canes management is willing to pony up a 1st round draft pick to acquire the type of rental such as Stone and RNH, along with Duchene, that you refer to.  A rental such as Hayes or Eric Staal, or another centerman who would be an upgrade to what they are currently playing with, in exchange for a 2nd rounder, is a palatable exchange.  I like your thinking to hold onto Buffalo's pick and trade Carolina's.  Not a huge difference, but maybe/hopefully a few picks difference.

I wonder what is going on in any potential Fox negotiations, and how that will play out.

Just a clarification, I never said we'd move our first rounder and go for Stone or Duchene. This could be a bit confusing though since I'm all over the idea of getting Stone. If we got Stone now it would have to be a sign and trade/trade and sign situation. I do not see us going for a top level rental. (Though it would be something. Imagine us with Panarin. A deep run would be very possible). 

But the vast majority of rentals in most years don't cost a first rounder. (This year will probably be an outlier given those names possibly available). And as you mention, we could upgrade to a solid, if less spectacular rental. That could be worth the price tag, but I still doubt we do it due to team disruption, especially with J probably coming back and Ferland presumably staying the year out.

I soooo want us to sign Fox. This is where I wonder about the timing. Does anyone know? The timing between say the NHL draft, where we could move a RHD, to when we would sign Fox. Can we sign Fox pretty much any time after his season ends? Does the timing of the trade deadline factor in? I'm thinking an offseason trade could still work to open up the slot for Fox to eye. 

I can’t see a “hockey trade” happening until the offseason, but what do I know? We HAVE to move at least one RHD if we want to sign Fox, and we should find a way to get Fleury to the NHL or include him in a trade package. He’s 4 years removed from being #7 overall pick, and I haven’t heard anything to suggest he’s not NHL ready. Then there’s Bean. I think (hope) there is a plan to utilize all of this defense to upgrade other aspects of the team, but don’t think the team wants to make any big changes on the fly during the season given the chemistry the team has going now.

As far as rentals, I hope we keep Ferland and if he doesn’t re-sign, then there’s our rental. His comments to the N&O make it sound like he wants to be here, but really, what else could he have said? It looks like Jordan will also be back soon, giving us more options and depth. The team has the best record in the league since January 1st, so unless we want to pony up big for 2 months of someone like Stone, who could be a real difference maker, I would just stand pat. I’d be just fine with rolling with what we’ve got and looking to be active in the trade market after the season.

I do think that the 'stand pat' outcome is the most likely. We have Jordan coming back and seem intent on keeping Ferland for at least the run. Waddell is probably trying to find a hockey trade, but it will have to be the right guy form the right team that wants to play in Raleigh. So many more options are open in the off-season and even then trades are hard to find.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

. . .

I soooo want us to sign Fox. This is where I wonder about the timing. Does anyone know? The timing between say the NHL draft, where we could move a RHD, to when we would sign Fox. Can we sign Fox pretty much any time after his season ends? Does the timing of the trade deadline factor in? I'm thinking an offseason trade could still work to open up the slot for Fox to eye. 

I don't know the exact rules, but I do remember that Columbus signed Werenski after his college season ended and he helped their AHL team win the Calder Cup that spring.

I guess I phrased my question wrong. When can Fox become a UFA? He has to return to Harvard and play out the season, but there must be a point where he makes that decision. Can he change his mind before the NCAA hockey season starts? I think that is around October 1. 

I'm guessing that we have time to make a move around the draft and still sign Fox before he has to decide whether to sign with us, and that he doesn't become a UFA until next year. 

I guess I'm saying that the RHD for O move can happen in the offseason as it relates to opening a slot for a Fox signing, and doesn't have to happen now.