The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

10 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

August 15, 2019.

This year? Yikes. Really? I thought he had to finish college. If he can just wait until August, then now I'm thinking he would probably just do that and pick his team and his deal. 

Are we sure it isn't August 2020?

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I guess I phrased my question wrong. When can Fox become a UFA? He has to return to Harvard and play out the season, but there must be a point where he makes that decision. Can he change his mind before the NCAA hockey season starts? I think that is around October 1.

30 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

August 15, 2019.

26 minutes ago, remkin said:

This year? Yikes. Really? I thought he had to finish college. If he can just wait until August, then now I'm thinking he would probably just do that and pick his team and his deal. 

Are we sure it isn't August 2020?

Pretty sure it's August 15th 4 years after his draft.  He was drafted in 2016, so I think we're safe on that front.  Also, I think it's tied to the 4 years, not graduation (but I wouldn't bet my house on that)

Edited by LakeLivin

3 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Pretty sure it's August 15th 4 years after his draft.  He was drafted in 2016, so I think we're safe on that front.  Also, I think it's tied to the 4 years, not graduation, but I wouldn't bet my house on that.

So I read the quote by him that denied that he wants to wait and become a UFA (and play for the Rangers). He says that it is not his goal to play for a specific team but to play in the NHL as soon as possible. I don't know exactly what it would take, but we signed Hanifin to a one way after just one year of college, and Fox will be three years out, basically the age that Slavin and Pesce played for the Canes. 

It may not be popular with everyone, but I'm thinking we offer him an NHL contract and he grabs it. To do this we need to trade someone. Even if we do, we'll be up a RHD. But we can see how Fox fits in, or let TVR and Fox trade spots in the press box. But I think we have to lock that down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

So I read the quote by him that denied that he wants to wait and become a UFA (and play for the Rangers). He says that it is not his goal to play for a specific team but to play in the NHL as soon as possible. I don't know exactly what it would take, but we signed Hanifin to a one way after just one year of college, and Fox will be three years out, basically the age that Slavin and Pesce played for the Canes. 

It may not be popular with everyone, but I'm thinking we offer him an NHL contract and he grabs it. To do this we need to trade someone. Even if we do, we'll be up a RHD. But we can see how Fox fits in, or let TVR and Fox trade spots in the press box. But I think we have to lock that down.

Werenski only had 2 years of college and he started college a year early (just like Hanifin).  He signed a pro contract right after his college season, joined the BJs  AHL team, led them to the Calder Cup, and then went right to Columbus the following fall.  McAvoy only had 2 college seasons and 4 AHL games before landing in Boston.  As you say, I don't think there's near the risk as with an 18 year old.

Heck, even if he's on a 1-way contract and he requires a few games seasoning in the AHL he'd still be on an ELC so it's not like we'd be paying him at a salary of $4m per year (:o) to play in Charlotte for a few games (Pesce only had 7 AHL games before coming to Raleigh).

Yeah, the Committee needs to get er done.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-senators-put-duchene-trade-block-trying-re-sign-stone-173125778.html

Duchene now officially available as Sens keep trying to sign Stone, Definitely the one I'd keep trying to sign.

He's a decent 2C for sure but idoubt we would be in the mix. It would have to be something like a sign and trade and be reasonable. I'm almost of the stance at this point of don't touch it and let the chips fall where they may.

1 hour ago, sleekfeeder said:

He's a decent 2C for sure but idoubt we would be in the mix. It would have to be something like a sign and trade and be reasonable. I'm almost of the stance at this point of don't touch it and let the chips fall where they may.

Me too. If our goaltending stays strong, I think we can make it with what we’ve got. And Rod may not get the Jack Adams, but he sure should be a finalist.

• Like 1

I would not go for Duchene at this point either. He would be a very interesting rental for a team looking for a high priced rental, but that's not us. Just interesting that he's now officially on the market. 

The past few games have shown that the team has some nice chemistry going right now.  It is going to be hard to make a hockey trade right now that involves moving a roster player without potentially hurting the team mojo.

If I was on the committee I would just try to add a player by dealing minor leaguers or draft picks only.  Add to what the team has.  The defense is looking really strong.  Have meshed together really nicely.  Not so sure they should break it up this year anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I would not go for Duchene at this point either. He would be a very interesting rental for a team looking for a high priced rental, but that's not us. Just interesting that he's now officially on the market. 

I agree.  I can not see the Canes trading a 1st round pick for a rental.  What has Duchene done to lead either Colorado or Ottawa? I still think it will come down to possibly the last day and hours of the deadline and if the right deal avails itself for Kevin Hayes or Eric Staal, then maybe they pull the trigger.  That addition plus the return of Jordan Staal would be a sound improvement for the stretch run at a reasonable cost.  I am intrigued by the unknown status of Fox, but if they need to move a RH defenseman in order to make room, then maybe that waits for the offseason or draft day.

Still wishing for Stone, but apparently Winnipeg is closing in on that? Just curious what they could offer that we are unable to, as he apparently will not be a "rental", thus isn't that the  type of player that Waddell keeps saying we are looking for? Surely Winnipeg is not a more desirable destination than Raleigh, or is it? Is it because they are a Western Conference team? Closer to significant playoff team?

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Guys, short of a miracle, we won’t be getting any of the big names on the deadline list...if anything, it’ll be a mid-list player 

This just in:  We dont need anyone.  I like our group (sarcasm alert)

• Like 3

19 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Still wishing for Stone, but apparently Winnipeg is closing in on that? Just curious what they could offer that we are unable to, as he apparently will not be a "rental", thus isn't that the  type of player that Waddell keeps saying we are looking for? Surely Winnipeg is not a more desirable destination than Raleigh, or is it? Is it because they are a Western Conference team? Closer to significant playoff team?

All rumors at this point? I know Ottawa was scouting Winnipeg. But are you sure they would sign him? I heard they were interested in Stone and/or Duchene. 

If they are able to sign him, it would be because Stone wants to play there. As much as I want Stone, we don't know if he has any interest in playing here, and for us it makes little sense as a rental. 

Ottawa would probably rather send him West if its more than a rental deal. 

From an ESPN interview with Dundon    http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26033326/qa-tom-dundon-250-million-well-spent-bunch-jerks

ESPN: So what about the trade deadline?

Dundon: It's an interesting time, right? We're in a spot where it can go lots of different ways. We'll take in all the information and make a good decision. We're fully committed to trying to win. Rod's really happy, he's told me repeatedly. He appreciates the effort and the people in the locker room. Right now, I can tell you that he doesn't need anything. He's happy with what he's got. That's our starting point. We'll have conversations in the next week and we'll see where it goes. But I don't think we have a huge incentive to do any one thing right now outside of listening.

4 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

From an ESPN interview with Dundon    http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26033326/qa-tom-dundon-250-million-well-spent-bunch-jerks

ESPN: So what about the trade deadline?

Dundon: It's an interesting time, right? We're in a spot where it can go lots of different ways. We'll take in all the information and make a good decision. We're fully committed to trying to win. Rod's really happy, he's told me repeatedly. He appreciates the effort and the people in the locker room. Right now, I can tell you that he doesn't need anything. He's happy with what he's got. That's our starting point. We'll have conversations in the next week and we'll see where it goes. But I don't think we have a huge incentive to do any one thing right now outside of listening.

Complacency is dangerous. 

3 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Complacency is dangerous. 

True,  Seems the key is identifying that fine line between doing something that makes the team better and doing something just to do something.  As an example of the latter, I can understand why staying out of the free agent market after we picked up deHaan last summer made sense, in spite of how much cap space we had.  Now?  I think most here are in agreement that we shouldn't compromise our future on a rental, but if there's a longer term trade that makes us better we should be actively pursuing it.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

I agree with don’t make a trade to make a trade. We made a steal with the Nino trade. If something makes sense for now and the future I would hope they would pull the trigger. 

I don't think the "committee" will do anything prior to the deadline.  I feel that deals will be made after the season is over were you trading players with contracts and not rentals.Just my .02cents

2 minutes ago, caniac_fan said:

I don't think the "committee" will do anything prior to the deadline.  I feel that deals will be made after the season is over were you trading players with contracts and not rentals.Just my .02cents

My hunch is we will make a trade. It might not be a blockbuster and it might be at the 11th hour but I think we make some kind of move.

While not having to make a move puts us in a good position to not make a bad trade, it also removes the impetus that leads to actually making trades. The vast majority of trades don't happen, and I'd wager that is even less when one side feels no need to make one. With the Rask-Nino trade the committee felt a burning need to make a trade. That's why it happened. Don Waddell kept pestering until they relented. We needed more scoring and we needed to get rid of Rask.

But now, we need a blockbuster trade but don't need it at the deadline. Also we have J Staal coming back, and Nino is providing the much needed offense. If the committee is only going to make a deal that is too good to pass up, they are probably not going to make a deal.

I hope they do make a move, but I'd bet they don't.

I think this team SHOULD make every move possible to get in given the lack of playoffs and the lowest payroll. But they are going to need to feel a bit more urgency than they are letting on.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, remkin said:

While not having to make a move puts us in a good position to not make a bad trade, it also removes the impetus that leads to actually making trades. The vast majority of trades don't happen, and I'd wager that is even less when one side feels no need to make one. With the Rask-Nino trade the committee felt a burning need to make a trade. That's why it happened. Don Waddell kept pestering until they relented. We needed more scoring and we needed to get rid of Rask.

But now, we need a blockbuster trade but don't need it at the deadline. Also we have J Staal coming back, and Nino is providing the much needed offense. If the committee is only going to make a deal that is too good to p*edit* up, they are probably not going to make a deal.

I hope they do make a move, but I'd bet they don't.

I think this team SHOULD make every move possible to get in given the lack of playoffs and the lowest payroll. But they are going to need to feel a bit more urgency than they are letting on.

This could all be TD playing coy, posturing, and also change overnight depending on results, so I don't put a whole lot of stock in his comments.