The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

7 hours ago, Kyrule said:

So Duchene, Stone, and Dzingel sit out vs. NJ and Ottawa gets shut-out, which means they likely won’t be in the lineup tomorrow (now today) vs. Columbus.

So CBJ gets a free 2 points. Typical Canes luck. 

Anything can happen but...

Thinking same thing.  Teams who are tanking and/or holding out healthy players are affecting the competitive balance of the league, and the fact that the league does nothing about it steers the sport towards professional wrestling.....

On 2/21/2019 at 6:24 AM, KJUNKANE said:

Sitting precariously where the team is in the standings, all points about trade vs not, to me at least are valid. The question about "chemistry", whether it relate to Staal or to some player from the outside, would suggest that it is fragile, so I've got to ask, Do we think it is? On Staal, certainly this is a player the majority of this team has played with, and thus I feel they know pretty well. And if his one attribute to win face-offs is a critical element missing, and translates to preserving energy thru not having to go chase down the puck and battle to then get possession, then in the coming shall we say, compressed, final part of this season, that one advantage could be HUGE. Preservation of energy will never be more critical.

As to bringing in a player via trade, waiver wire or other, I'm sitting on the fence with that one. A part of me is enticed by the fantasy that the unknown would bring, say a trade for Stone (for rem), Kapanen, Nylander or the like, yet there obviously would have to be a "break in period" for one of them. The crux of the issue, to me at least, is my question I am sensing from the last couple of games, echoed by Rod, Is the energy of this team sagging? He said that for the 2 games prior to the Rangers and I've not caught one following the NYR game, and likewise didn't see the game to sense that. That being the case, and with a horrific March schedule coming up, maybe a player move ups their collective energy? With so little time to integrate said player, is that a luxury this team has? We certainly witnessed an energy spark when Niederreiter came on board. Can Waddell et al hit 2 home runs?

Whatever it is, our agony will be over in less than a week.

The Canes are in a very good position at the trade deadline.  As buyers or sellers, they have a bunch of valuable assets to exchange if the right deal(s) present themselves.  No reason to make any deal if it does not suit them as a real improvement.  My opinion is that:

1) They hold onto Ferland unless they are blown away with any offer.  The contenders just want to steal talent anyway, so don't hold your breath.

2) They keep Pesce.  No matter how many times hockey writers say Toronto wants him, they just don't seem to want to offer asset(s) the Canes want.

3) If they are trading a RH defenseman, let it be Hamilton.  Faulk only has one year left on his deal, so Hamilton, with 2, has more value.  And with Faulk logging 28 minutes last night, that tells me he is too key of a teammate to just let go.  Hamilton would have to return a real top 6 forward who is not a rental in exchange.  Maybe Kapenan or Nylander.  Both of their dads played for the Whalers, right?

4) Sign Fox to step in after Hamilton is traded.

8 hours ago, Kyrule said:

So Duchene, Stone, and Dzingel sit out vs. NJ and Ottawa gets shut-out, which means they likely won’t be in the lineup tomorrow (now today) vs. Columbus.

So CBJ gets a free 2 points. Typical Canes luck. 

Anything can happen but...

11 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Thinking same thing.  Teams who are tanking and/or holding out healthy players are affecting the competitive balance of the league, and the fact that the league does nothing about it steers the sport towards professional wrestling.....

Combine that with FLA throwing people wins all season but deciding now is a good time to play like they are in game 7 of a cup run.  

After a while you start to realize that there just is a bunch of timing and luck involved with everything.  Maddening really.

5 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Combine that with FLA throwing people wins all season but deciding now is a good time to play like they are in game 7 of a cup run.  

After a while you start to realize that there just is a bunch of timing and luck involved with everything.  Maddening really.

I so agree hag, and your 2nd statement in a nutshell makes me question how advanced analytics can ever be more than just subjective in this sport at least. I mean, how many times does a player have to hit the post/crossbar before a puck goes in? How does statistics account for ice conditions? How does one figure a puck bouncing off a player's face and scoring? No, as you state, LUCK AND TIMING are often the keys to a game. Indeed "maddening". 

48 minutes ago, beboplar said:

4) Sign Fox to step in after Hamilton is traded.

Im good till this-  Yes you can sign all you want, but dropping in a college level(albeit high level) D man to work with a new team on a playoff quest is a stretch.

• Like 1

Does the Duchene move put more pressure on us to do something?  I was hoping we might of left Florida with Hoffman

18 minutes ago, cc said:

Im good till this-  Yes you can sign all you want, but dropping in a college level(albeit high level) D man to work with a new team on a playoff quest is a stretch.

Fox is 21, quite possibly the Hobey Baker winner, and most likely more NHL ready than any of the Canes' prospects including Bean, Necas, etc.  Curiously, if you look at his draft year (2016), early 3rd round, the choices around him were:

65  Vitaly Abramov (Columbus)  about to be traded for Duschene

66  Adam Fox (Calgary)

67  Matt Felipe (Carolina)

68  Cam Dineen (Kevin's son?)  (Arizona)

69  Cliff Pu (Buffalo)  remember him?

1 minute ago, beboplar said:

Fox is 21, quite possibly the Hobey Baker winner, and most likely more NHL ready than any of the Canes' prospects including Bean, Necas, etc.  Curiously, if you look at his draft year (2016), early 3rd round, the choices around him were:

65  Vitaly Abramov (Columbus)  about to be traded for Duschene

66  Adam Fox (Calgary)

67  Matt Felipe (Carolina)

68  Cam Dineen (Kevin's son?)  (Arizona)

69  Cliff Pu (Buffalo)  remember him?

My point is not talent or what other players who did not stay in college are doing.  It is NHL level experience and gelling with your team and in the case of a D a specific partner.  You don't do this with 1/4 of the season remaining and playoffs possible for the 1st time in a decade. IMHO  But what do I know.

Duchene’s haul: two prospects and two firsts

one first is conditional on him re-upping with Columbus.

I’d LOVE for him to sign a year with them just to screw em 

Maybe just maybe his teammates hated him and it is now their mission to lay waste to Columbus tonight.  My hope of course.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Maybe just maybe his teammates hated him and it is now their mission to lay waste to Columbus tonight.  My hope of course.

That, as they say, would be "poetic justice".

• Like 1

Just now, top-shelf-1 said:

Gotta think the Sens keep Stone, but if he and/or Panarin are on the table, I hope we've anted in.

TSN is saying Sens want the same 4-piece trade package for Stone they just got for Duchene...and maybe more 

So our main rival for the wildcard spot improves the team and so far we do nothing.  Typical.  Oh well lets see if the boys can keep it up without adding any more pieces. Or are we on the verge of adding one?  Wouldn't that be sweet?  If history repeats itself again we are not going to do anything.  Unless you call keeping our own player Ferland a move.