The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

13 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

TSN is saying Sens want the same 4-piece trade package for Stone they just got for Duchene...and maybe more 

Canes will not be making that type trade.  Think smaller.

27 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

So our main rival for the wildcard spot improves the team and so far we do nothing.  Typical.  Oh well lets see if the boys can keep it up without adding any more pieces. Or are we on the verge of adding one?  Wouldn't that be sweet?  If history repeats itself again we are not going to do anything.  Unless you call keeping our own player Ferland a move. 

Maybe Columbus did this as an insurance in case of good trade offer for Panarin

53 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

So our main rival for the wildcard spot improves the team and so far we do nothing.  Typical. 

It. Just. Happened.  

Give them a minute or two

I see them trying but in no way am I mad if nothing happens, the trade we need is a D for a forward and while you can get a kings ransom in futures for that right now it's not what we need. If Nino's the only move, cool....and they even made it at the proper time 15 games ago to boost our season up. Can you imagine if we didn't get Nino til now, by the scoreboard alone(nevermind the other intangibles) he's changed 3 games from L's to W's and we're probably giving away Ferland right now. Nino was not only a great trade it was well timed. 

Douchene and Torts are going to get along just fine.  A guy who spent a whole season for the Avs asking to be traded.  I can see this as a marriage made in heaven.

Don't assume this is going to make them better.  It just might not work out that way.  Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

The other thing we need to keep in mind, although I realize it's controversial, and also I am not being pollyannaish  when I mention it, but Jordan is coming back. That will be an infusion of sorts, certainly in time to rescue our face off percentage. If it adds a win or 2 we will see? 

I honestly don't see the push to make a splashy trade right now, unless they can make a hockey trade...value for value.  Since what is being moved now is expiring contracts for a fortune in returns, I don't see the Canes being active on that.  Staal coming back (for better or for worse) is going to be seen as fixing the 2C spot.  I'd like to see a scorer added, but just how many are out there right now to be had?

WLOG

• Like 1

41 minutes ago

OFFICIAL | have acquired defenseman Nick Jensen and a 2019 fifth round pick (originally from Buffalo) from the Detroit Red Wings for defenseman Madison Bowey and a 2020 second round pick

1 hour ago

Caps also get a 5th.

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

It. Just. Happened.  

Give them a minute or two

Yup, you took part of my qoute and make me look like dummy.  I followed up by saying, "or are we on the verging of adding someone, wouldn't that be sweet."  

Hearing that Mike Hoffman’s camp has been asked by Florida to submit its 10-team no-trade list which is part of the player’s modified NTC. It is a No list. Doesn’t mean he will be traded but obviously teams are calling so Panthers need to be ready.

I hope DW makes that call. Not that we would be on Hoffman's list. 26 goals and 59 points over 50 games this year. He is 29 and signed I think for one more year. He does Shoot left though and we are a team of lefty shooting forwards

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

@Danimal38

You realize we still have three more days...and TD said he will not mortgage the future to get to the playoffs now...right?

TD is an absolute idiot if he does not mortgage the future to make the playoffs this year.  We tried the picks and prospects thing for 10 years.  Time to give a handful of them up for some help now to make the playoffs.  Screw next year.  Make playoffs now or kiss off TD.  And if every other team can continually better themselves and spend money and give up some picks to make a post season run, than wth can't we?  If he stands pat with his line up it tells me he really doesn't give a hoot.  Yes we are winning a lot but the gas tank will run out if we don't get some fresh blood who can help us get there. Some excitement for the fan base, some commitment to show the team he believes in them.. 

And yes I know we have 3 days.  Here is to hoping we don't miss out on everyone decent and get another 4th liner just to make a move. 

11 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I think our move has already been made.  That move is keeping Ferland as a rental.

I think 'that move' was actually Nino.  Keeping Ferland isn't a bad second, though.

Its funny how we consider it an upgrade over previous seasons to just keep our players at the deadline, and it is true.

2 hours ago, hag65 said:

Douchene and Torts are going to get along just fine.  A guy who spent a whole season for the Avs asking to be traded.  I can see this as a marriage made in heaven.

Don't assume this is going to make them better.  It just might not work out that way.  Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

Duchene has worn out his welcome with his last 2 teams. Talk about a guy that could upset chemistry. At this point, I’d be happy if we just hold onto Ferland. We are borderline in making the playoffs under any circumstances, and giving up assets for a rental is going to sting if we miss. If we do make a move, I think it will be a second tier guy for less than the king’s ransom Columbus gave for Duchene. 

15 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

What does TVR return?

Probably a third-round pick.

I think he might hold more value if he is part of a package deal.

Bottom pairing defensemen generally don’t have a ton of value on the trade market, even if they are valuable (IMO) to the team. TVR has also likely reached his potential, which takes that out of the equation when assessing value.