The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

5 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Yep, Nino was an absolute great move by the Don.  Ya know, I have a feeling Ferland isn't going anywhere.

Oh I agree, though I can see how my post could look like I was saying we're still kicking him around. I meant had Nino happened later then we might still be shoping Ferland today.

If you think the Canes were overly sensitive last summer about losing Skinner without getting anything back, think about Ottawa's situation right now.  If they've been trying in good faith to to re-sign Duchene, Stone, and Dzingle, to no avail at this point, do they really have much choice?

As much as I wish otherwise, I can't see Stone being in our price range.  But what about Dzingle?  

4 hours ago, Danimal38 said:

TD is an absolute idiot if he does not mortgage the future to make the playoffs this year.  We tried the picks and prospects thing for 10 years.  Time to give a handful of them up for some help now to make the playoffs.  Screw next year.  Make playoffs now or kiss off TD.  And if every other team can continually better themselves and spend money and give up some picks to make a post season run, than wth can't we?  If he stands pat with his line up it tells me he really doesn't give a hoot.  Yes we are winning a lot but the gas tank will run out if we don't get some fresh blood who can help us get there. Some excitement for the fan base, some commitment to show the team he believes in them.. 

And yes I know we have 3 days.  Here is to hoping we don't miss out on everyone decent and get another 4th liner just to make a move. 

That's the complete opposite of the truth. If he mortgages the future to make the playoffs this year he is an idiot. This team as it stands right now is a division playoff team and one of the best teams in the league since Jan 1st. Yes we need a piece but you are not getting someone with term right now. The only splashy move that can be made is futures for rentals. It will suck if they dont make it but there really isnt the guy we need out there for the right price. If they can swing a hockey trade then that's great but no dumping prospect or pucks for rentals, the first half of the season ruined that idea.

• Like 1

61 games into the season and we are a plus 8, fighting for a wild card spot and most nights pretty dang good in net. If we dont make a deal now, or even if we dont make the dance, I for one have enjoyed the effort from these guys.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Danimal38 said:

So our main rival for the wildcard spot improves the team and so far we do nothing.  Typical.  Oh well lets see if the boys can keep it up without adding any more pieces. Or are we on the verge of adding on?  Wouldn't that be sweet?  If history repeats itself again we are not going to do anything.  Unless you call keeping our own player Ferland a move. 

I've gotta push back on this, because the Canes have been doing things for a solid year now, starting with losing Josh Jooris and Marcus Boat'Anchor. They've acquired Martinook; put Darling in his place and acquired two keepers who understand how to battle for wins; made one hockey trade with Calgary that has absolutely hastened the culture change this org needed; made one boneheaded trade with Buffalo (in terms of return) that did the same; absolutely fleeced the Wild to get Neiderreiter; and increased its winning percentage despite losing its best faceoff man and defensive center. And (finally) named as Captain the guy who should have gotten the C the day he was acquired. Add the cherry of the lottery win that brought us Svech, and it's been a pretty fandamntastic year of much-needed change, the effects of which are showing up on the ice.

I get the desire to make ourselves better, and totally get the angst due to our history of not doing so at the deadline. I too would like us to move an RHD and maybe package him with Staal or a top prospect not named Necas for an appropriate return. But as others have pointed out, a big move at this point maybe screws with our chemistry, and I think holding up Columbus's move as the determinant of our willingness to get better doesn't do justice all the good things TD and the Committee have done, and began doing pretty much as soon as he took over. CBJ is at the opposite end of that continuum, IMO; it has struggled all year to play anywhere near the level that a team with the skaters on its roster and the guy in its crease should be playing, due mainly to the fact that it rolled the dice on a volatile coach whose freshness date has passed yet again, just like it has everywhere else he has worked.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

We make the playoffs right now and we get swept by the Bolts.

Yes but sending the future off for a rental effects next year. Next year were the young guys (most of the team) should continue to improve, where making an offseason hockey trade is a lot easier to do then when approaching the trade deadline. I want the playoffs this year bad, I really really do but if a hockey trade cant be made then hold what we got and let the chips fall where they may. Anything else hurts next year and the offseason.

1 minute ago, Derailed75 said:

Yes but sending the future off for a rental effects next year. Next year were the young guys (most of the team) should continue to improve, where making an offseason hockey trade is a lot easier to do then when approaching the trade deadline. I want the playoffs this year bad, I really really do but if a hockey trade cant be made then hold what we got and let the chips fall where they may. Anything else hurts next year and the offseason.

Shhh...don’t tell that to Danimal 

5 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

About the only blockbuster hockey trade I'd do right now would be a sign-and-trade where Stone or Panarin are signed to long-term deals before we send Faulk and Staal and picks to bring one of them back. Outside of that, I agree that if the best thing available is an unsigned UFA, we already have that in Ferland, and I think our odds of keeping him here increase with every win.

Moving out an RHD and Staal to get back one of the those other two guys would be doing something right now we're going to have to do anyway, and that kind of return at this moment probably gets us over the hump. But both players have NTCs and again, we'd be messing with chemistry and the sense that this (here it comes...) group has battled together to get here. Tough call, if such a deal were available. And I'm not sure it is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PamlicoPuck said:

61 games into the season and we are a plus 8, fighting for a wild card spot and most nights pretty dang good in net. If we dont make a deal now, or even if we dont make the dance, I for one have enjoyed the effort from these guys.  

I disagree.   We have grown accustomed to mediocrity in a league where over half the teams make it to the playoffs.  Anything less than the playoffs is a complete and utter failure.  I am not trying to be mean here.

The division reworks/realignments was the worst thing to ever happen to this team.  We are a small market team.  It is either cough up the cash, get lucky with a draft pick who becomes a game change,  or face eternal medoictrity. 

Edited by bluedevil58

12 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I disagree.   We have grown accustomed to mediocrity in a league where over half the teams make it to the playoffs.  Anything less than the playoffs is a complete and utter failure.

If we were in the Western Conference, we wouldn’t be having this debate 

8 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Yea but we're  not.  So it is either put on the big boy pants and fork out more cash or continue just missing the playoffs.

Edited by bluedevil58

14 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Yea but we're  not.  So it is either put on the big boy pants and fork out more cash or continue just missing the playoffs.

Oh my God, the extent to which you continue to not get it - transparently, just to support your utterly baseless ******** - it is beyond ridiculous.

This team is spending money, and for the past year has been making critical moves which have vastly improved the product (and production) on the ice (see my post above which details them). In short, it is now doing all the things you (and the rest of us here, you don't have the market on that cornered, contrary to what I'm sure is your self-aggrandizing belief to the contrary) have been pointing out FOR YEARS. But presented with the opportunity to actually enjoy the stretch run and play of the what has been the best team in hockey for closing in on two months, you opt instead to bring the Eeyore.

I've had you on ignore for a long time now, Fat Stacks, and want to thank AWAC for quoting you, thereby providing another reminder of why. I know Duke lost the other night, and I'm sorry. So why not take your angst to their damned boards, instead of transposing it onto the team which, unlike the Blue Devils, has figured out a way to win DESPITE losing one of its top players? 

9 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

As long as FatStacks is around, we would. It would just have a different focus. Still completely baseless, of course... but different.

What I'm going to say is weird to me...  But, I like this group.  Let's see what they can do.  For nearly 8 weeks, they have provided enormous entertainment, and, oh, got the team back into contention.  I don't know if they'll make it, but if they keep this up, it will be entertaining as hell.    It is basically 4 teams fighting for 3 spots.  Someone will fumble.  This team currently has the confidence to not be one of them.  We shall see.

One key to this is the reinsertion of Staal.  I'm saying my prayers big time.  Very worried.  Come on, Staal.  Surprise us!

14 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

What I'm going to say is weird to me...  But, I like this group.  Let's see what they can do.  For nearly 8 weeks, they have provided enormous entertainment, and, oh, got the team back into contention.  I don't know if they'll make it, but if they keep this up, it will be entertaining as hell.    It is basically 4 teams fighting for 3 spots.  Someone will fumble.  This team currently has the confidence to not be one of them.  We shall see.

One key to this is the reinsertion of Staal.  I'm saying my prayers big time.  Very worried.  Come on, Staal.  Surprise us!

I'm hoping what we know he will bring face off wins and calm mostly mistake free hockey off sets what we lose in who gets the pine

Unless a team really steps up, CBJ content to keep Panarin and go for it.

19 hours ago

Now that Duchene is off the market teams will dial in on Kevin Hayes. Sources says a few teams have inquired about trading for both Hayes and Zuccarello.

12 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I can't see Stone being in our price range.  But what about Dzingle?  

Speculation is they want a first round pick or high end prospect for him. He is 26 with 22 G and 44pts this season. Left shot. I would think we would at least explore a possible move in exchange for a prospect

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

The team signed Nino, so they have already made a move - you make it sound like nothing has happened. 

NJ.com -Chris Ryan reports New Jersey Devils forward Marcus Johansson and defenseman Ben Lovejoy are expected to be scratched from tonight’s game

Both are pending UFAs

All I know is that this team has played hard just about every game this year.  They have scratched and clawed their way into the playoff race.  It would be huge for the tteam moving forward if they make the playoffs this season.  

This current group deserves some help to try and make it.  It’s been 10 years.  Time for the drought to end.  Take a shot and go for it. 

Now is not the time for a major “hockey” trade to go down.  That should happen in the offseason.  Now is the time to acquire a player or two who can help be trading draft picks or some of the prospects away.  

This is the first team in years that should be given the help they need.