The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

I agree that trading for Nino is turning out to be more impactful than almost any deadline acquisitions that we can make. Trading valuable assets for an impending UFA can be a risky bet. In the case of Columbus; they think that they can make a deep run, so they take that risk. If Duchene decides to pursue UFA July 1 and go elsewhere, so be it. We can't afford to trade a first round pick and prospects unless we get a valuable player back with term remaining. Unfortunately, few deadline deals involve players with that contract. Even though the rebuild of this team began with the RF administration; it's really in the first full year of the rebuild with the new ownership. It would be foolish to mortgage the future on a rental that perhaps moves on after the season. You don't "fork out more cash" at the deadline; the time for that is July 1, when we can determine if a player is interested in signing with us; and for extending our existing RFA's.

10 minutes ago, AssistantGM said:

Trading valuable assets for an impending UFA can be a risky bet. In the case of Columbus; they think that they can make a deep run, so they take that risk.

And they won’t make it out of the first round...if they even qualify 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

All I know is that this team has played hard just about every game this year.  They have scratched and clawed their way into the playoff race.  It would be huge for the tteam moving forward if they make the playoffs this season.  

This current group deserves some help to try and make it.  It’s been 10 years.  Time for the drought to end.  Take a shot and go for it. 

Now is not the time for a major “hockey” trade to go down.  That should happen in the offseason.  Now is the time to acquire a player or two who can help be trading draft picks or some of the prospects away.  

This is the first team in years that should be given the help they need.

No this team went into a bad lull in Nov-Dec and if they miss the playoffs that will be the reason why. I will say it again for like the 90th time. This team since Jan 1st is one of the top 3 teams in the league, there is no reason to think they won't come out of the gate like this next year. They are a young team were quite a few players should improve over the off season. Literally zero reason to waste assets on rentals now, there is no one out there they can push the team to the level of the Bolts and Flames, you get rentals to win the cup not qualify as the 8th seed.

Those assets could be used in the offseason to bolster the team long term. Dont waste them now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

Ok.  So I guess it’s better if the canes don’t make the playoffs then...

Better then wasting resources to be the 8th seed? Unfortunately yes long term it would be better to hold on and use them in the offseason. Besides they have outplayed everyone they have a chance to catch no reason to think they won't make it as is

3 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

The team signed Nino, so they have already made a move - you make it sound like nothing has happened. 

I'm not discrediting that.  What I am saying is that even with this signing, we are dead last in terms of overall team salary spending.  We have the most cap of any team.

24 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

Better then wasting resources to be the 8th seed? Unfortunately yes long term it would be better to hold on and use them in the offseason. Besides they have outplayed everyone they have a chance to catch no reason to think they won't make it as is

Making the playoffs is a large stepping stone for an organization that has been looking in from the outside for a decade.  Playing in playoff games is a building block for an organization that want to go deep into the playoffs in future years.  I am not in favor of forking over 1st round picks for rentals, but I am in favor of downsizing our wealth of RH defensemen with a trade of Dougie Hamilton, who has 2 years remaining on his contract, for a quality forward, preferably a center.  This team has elevated its game this season on the basis of additional toughness and better goaltending.  Getting Staal back and adding another skill player at the expense of sitting 2 of the 4th line forwards tells the players the team is ALL IN on moving forward to get that playoff spot and experience.  I am not talking about trading for a Mark Stone, the team can not afford him along with Aho's new deal anyway.

Making a trade for a pending UFA at the deadline will NOT change our  existing cap spending!!!! That's a conversation to be had July 1. The teams salary status this season is old news; no reason to re-hash it. 

12 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Ummm how about no.  We are in a division with big spenders.  It's either do close to the same or get lucky.  The past 3 cups have went to our division. 

I've got a solution! 💡   If success is dependent on spending, but we don't want to give up assets in order to increase our spending for a temporary boost the rest of this season, just give everybody on the Canes a 25% pay raise!  We'll then be one of the top spending teams in the league and increase our chances the rest of the season and still keep all our assets intact for long term improvements this offseason.  

:patself:

• Like 1

If a good RHD for a forward trade was there, we would have done it already.  It is an offseason type move.  

Spending doesn’t equal success. It does help.  We’ll see what happens. Making the playoffs this season has little barring on this ownership & management since this their first season. 

We have a plethora of middle prospects and 2 second rounders. I would use one of each to help us but no more.  If Pittsburgh doesn’t do anything to help themselves then a small move like that may help us. If they jump into the deep end, it may be wasted.  

NHL.com is reporting that the D market for buyers is getting slim after the Lovejoy and Jensen deals. That obviously works to our advantage with our embarrassment of riches in RHD. If, say Toronto is desperate enough to send one of their young forwards (term or RFA) for a RHD our way, then pull the trigger. Then our cap situation becomes an asset to sign the RFA to a long term deal. I'd love to see another Kapanen in a Bunch of Jerks sweater !!!!!

1 hour ago, AssistantGM said:

In this years draft, Columbus has a 3rd, a 4th and two 7th round picks; and they may lose Duchene, Panarin, and Bob to FA. They had better make a run now !!!!!

And Torts is way overdue to implode. He usually does it by year 3 at any stop in his career. So here’s hoping Columbus misses the playoffs, all 3 players leave, and Torts goes nuts. Of course, all of that should mean we get in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beboplar said:

Making the playoffs is a large stepping stone for an organization that has been looking in from the outside for a decade.  Playing in playoff games is a building block for an organization that want to go deep into the playoffs in future years.  I am not in favor of forking over 1st round picks for rentals, but I am in favor of downsizing our wealth of RH defensemen with a trade of Dougie Hamilton, who has 2 years remaining on his contract, for a quality forward, preferably a center.  This team has elevated its game this season on the basis of additional toughness and better goaltending.  Getting Staal back and adding another skill player at the expense of sitting 2 of the 4th line forwards tells the players the team is ALL IN on moving forward to get that playoff spot and experience.  I am not talking about trading for a Mark Stone, the team can not afford him along with Aho's new deal anyway.

If they can do that for a forward with term or someone that's sure to resign here then fine. Just dont use anything on a rental

3 hours ago, iceman11 said:

Ok.  So I guess it’s better if the canes don’t make the playoffs then...

3 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

*edit* off with all that noise. Make the playoffs.  That should always be the goal. Don’t do anything stupid, but don’t be scared of being the 8th seed. That’s loser thinking. 

• Like 1

I was being sarcastic in my post to everyone thinking that the Canes shouldn’t make a move to try and make the playoffs.

read my earlier posts.  The players on this team deserve management to get them some help.  They have played their *edit* off all season long.  This is the first team in years the Canes have had that deserves a trade or 2 to help them out

• Like 2

Just now, iceman11 said:

I was being sarcastic in my post to everyone thinking that the Canes shouldn’t make a move to try and make the playoffs.

read my earlier posts.  The players on this team deserve management to get them some help.  They have played their *edit* off all season long.  This is the first team in years the Canes have had that deserves a trade or 2 to help them out

Still disagree they got then in the form of Nino and they have been the best team in the league since. Not much they can do to get to the level of talent the Bolts and Flames have and they can beat any other team in the league. Again no need to waste resources for rentals. Those resources could come in handy in the off season

5 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

It’s all good. I’ve just seen a few posts here that “We don’t want to be cannon fodder for TB, and get swept in the 1st round”. That’s loser talk. To win it all, you have to go through everybody. I certainly don’t think the Canes have a SCF team, but who thought Vegas had one last year?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

It’s all good. I’ve just seen a few posts here that “We don’t want to be cannon fodder for TB, and get swept in the 1st round”. That’s loser talk. To win it all, you have to go through everybody. I certainly don’t think the Canes have a SCF team, but who thought Vegas had one last year?

I agree with that, just dont want them to waste a single asset for a rental to do it this year. This team is so close to being one of the top in the league. The gap to the Flames and Bolts can be closed using those assets in the offseason. 

Just my 2 cents...

I don’t give a 🐀’s *edit* about 2nd round picks next year. We are finally in it, and the guys deserve some help.

At this point it’s also about showing the fans, the team, and others that the Canes are willing to make moves to increase their chances.

Re-signing someone like Ferland or future free agents will also be easier to sell if they see that the organization is starting to prioritize making the playoffs  rather than saving everything for the future.

It’s time, and the guys deserve it. We deserve it.