The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

I’m not implying anything. I’m stating it. The attitude is not based on your seeding it’s based on competing. Every night every minute. 

Did the BJs GM get the word that if the team doesn’t at least win the first round he’ll be fired? Possibly get an extension if the made it to ECF?  Cuz he is selling the futures.

It will be interesting to see who Columbus signs in the offseason. It sounds like Bob and Panarin are gone for sure. Who knows what Duchene and Dzingel want. Could see a massive overpay for Duchene because they have to bring back somebody. Also, I know Dzingel has like 22 goals and 22 assists this season, but looking at his career stats, at least what I thought I saw, they were not overwhelming. Now I really want to keep Columbus out of the playoffs so they can start their rebuild with no Bob to bail them out, and hopefully all these guys gone and their drafts gutted for the near future.

Edited by bluedevilcane
  • Like 1

Just finished catching up on all the posts and am going to try to sum them up into a couple positions:

1) Save your ammo for the offseason,  that is when we will have a target rich environment.

2) The boys have fought hard to get to the cut line and are looking good to earn a spot and the brain trust should add if a food value is found.

3) Sacrifice anything and everything to make the playoffs now, no prospect or amount of money should be off limits we are desperate.

Suffice it to say, I am not in the third category. I will use the dreaded phrase, "I like our group." The team has earned their position in the standings, 3 points out of 2nd in the Metro. The team has been one of the best since January and in the top 4 over the last 10 games, I like their chances to overtake one of WSH, CBJ, MTL, or PIT possibly more. If a deal makes sense, I am all for it, but the last thing this team needs is an emotional decision because we are desperate to make the playoffs.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Did the BJs GM get the word that if the team doesn’t at least win the first round he’ll be fired? Possibly get an extension if the made it to ECF?  Cuz he is selling the futures.

Maybe his way of trying to keep some of the "for sure" leaving players by baiting them with willingness to be great now.

I just wish we had some kind of insight into Tom Dundon's thinking. Course he might have his football investment to interfere, but if he is a man of his word, and HATES TO LOSE, than he likely does feel like pulling the plug and going for a trade. We'll see in a little over 24hrs from now?

Hoffman is the only player I see on the latest trade bait list I am remotely interested in.  I would add Kapanen but I think the price is too high. I have seen us mentioned in the same sentence with Howard but I don't see that move.

When you have a team like us that has been playing so well and just got Staal back perhaps the best move is no move

• Like 2

I know there are those who won't want to hear this, but the Pens lost their top D pair on one play in the outdoor game (Dumoulin to a concussion after a high hit from Wayne Simmonds, Letang to an upper-body injury after being tackled while trying to get to Simmonds to stand up for Dumoulin), and Maata, another D-man, has been out for six games with a lower-body injury.

Do we dare swing a trade with Pgh? I don't see any of their forwards I'd much care for outside of the ones they'll never let go (and even then - Malkin's getting even more of a rep for being dirty, from what I can see)....

Edited by JonKerfoot
Misspelling

53 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

I know there are those who won't want to hear this, but the Pens lost their top D pair on one play in the outdoor game (Dumoulin to a concussion after a high hit from Wayne Simmonds, Letang to an upper-body injury after being tackled while trying to get to Simmonds to stand up for Dumoulin), and Maata, another D-man, has been out for six games with a lower-body injury.

Do we dare swing a trade with Pgh? I don't see any of their forwards I'd much care for outside of the ones they'll never let go (and even then - Malkin's getting even more of a rep for being dirty, from what I can see)....

I am assuming that was a joke.  You don't swing a trade with the team you are tied with for the last playoff position, especially JR's team, to help fortify their weakness.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

Why would we help Pittsburgh? They may be the most likely team we can pass to make the playoffs. Didn’t know about their D injuries last night, but let JR sell whatever draft picks he has left to someone else, or play minor league players for a spell. It’s pretty clear all of his juggling the lower 2/3 of his roster to keep his highly paid stars has caught up with him, and this might as well be the year they pay by missing the playoffs. If so, and if we continue to play like we have the last 2 months, we are in a great position to be the beneficiary of Pittsburgh’s fall. Amen to that.

I'm okay if we don’t make any trades to bring in rentals, but please hang onto Ferland.

• Like 1

The phrase "I like our group" is actually meaningful this year, because we are one of the top teams in the NHL since Jan 1st.  There is a lot to like.  I think a rental player this year, would be a good investment.  We have picks and prospects to deal... Another top 6 scorer like Hoffman and Stone makes us a threat to do something in the playoffs...  We could also look out west as well.  Unless we get back a legit top 6 forward with term, we are not trading any of our RHD.

What if we made a low-key move. With the LA Kings coming to town what if we did something like CBS and Ottawa? With the Kings rebuilding maybe go after a guy like Tyler Toffoli, wouldn't cost as much as some of these other guys and he at least has next left on his contract. He adds a solid 3rd or 4th line help, he's been to the playoffs (won a Stanley Cup with the Kings), so he's been in a playoff push like we're in now. Plus while 12G and 15A stats aren't amazing, but last year had 47 points (24G and 23 A). Maybe a change of scenery and a being in a playoff race again could boost him kind of like Nino. 

Edited by Craken94

A little lightness on a day where I'm sure many are watching the Trade Trackers on many blogs (I would but don't think we will see much from our group). How many watched the outdoor game yesterday? And if so, did anyone think that our mascot, Stormy, would be the perfect foil for Gritty to introduce a game at the NC State stadium, I mean, after all, When Pigs Could Fly?

How’s this for bad luck?  Stars got Zuc yesterday...today he gets a goal and assist, then gets hurt and is now out for 4 weeks.

Still played more for them and did more for them than James Wisniewski did for us.

I don’t see us helping now. Looks like the Pens may overpay to get Ceci.

Maybe now Anaheim could use a RHD with Montour traded.  C’mon Getzlaf.:crossfingers:  Henrique, maybe.