The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-season trades and player moves

4 hours ago, Craken94 said:

What if we made a low-key move. With the LA Kings coming to town what if we did something like CBS and Ottawa? With the Kings rebuilding maybe go after a guy like Tyler Toffoli, wouldn't cost as much as some of these other guys and he at least has next left on his contract. He adds a solid 3rd or 4th line help, he's been to the playoffs (won a Stanley Cup with the Kings), so he's been in a playoff push like we're in now. Plus while 12G and 15A stats aren't amazing, but last year had 47 points (24G and 23 A). Maybe a change of scenery and a being in a playoff race again could boost him kind of like Nino. 

Welcome to the board. I'm inclined to think if we make a move it will be a smaller move than was being considered just a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OBXer said:

The Sens will need to ice thier entire AHL team if they pull of all these anticipated moves

further proves the Senators GM mismanaged the entire situation since the last draft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago

First round pick and prospect Brendan Guhle going to Anaheim for Brandon Montour is my understanding

It is not Buffalo’s own first round pick going to Anaheim. It’s either San Jose’s or St Louis’s first rounder which Buffalo owns going to Anaheim

53 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

How’s this for bad luck?  Stars got Zuc yesterday...today he gets a goal and assist, then gets hurt and is now out for 4 weeks.

Still played more for them and did more for them than James Wisniewski did for us.

Mandy I believe Jamie Been is out with an upper body injury.

Anybody still believe that defense wins championships? Our top 4 is incredible right now. Maybe we should do nothing at least with regards to moving one of them for O. That's one school of thought.

Edited by sleekfeeder

2 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Well TD frenzy is underway. Hope we make it thru unscathed, but who knows at this last hour?

Man...bad day for the Wings...Sharkiez blast them, then practically steal Nyquist on their way out of town 

7 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Hearing we may be in on Hayes or Stepan? Another source, attributed to Commodore (I doubt) has a McGinn for Ryan Spooner? That last would be awful?

Oh hell no!  There’s a reason Spoons was dumped by the B’s...

4 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

here’s a reason Spoons was dumped by the B’s...

That's my take too AWACS, even if he's a center. Hopefully Waddell is not that desperate?

7 minutes ago, rocheccw said:

Canes at most just need a scoring boost or NHL depth. No way I make the D for O trade now. Keeping Ferland as a rental is also a win for the Canes!

Could’ve had it for the 2nd and 3rd Sharkiez just used to get Nyqvist

• Like 1

Ticktoc, ticktoc the clock is ticking.

Reading Chip in the N&O and it appears Dundon says all options open, Ferland wants to stay but it is still uncertain, Dundon indicated it would need to be a heck of a return for any trade.

It's going to be a heck of a day.

Yesterdays late moves

Anaheim has traded Brian Gibbons to Ottawa in exchange for Patrick Sieloff

The Detroit today acquired a second-round draft pick in the 2019 NHL Draft and a conditional third-round pick in the 2020 NHL Draft from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for RW Gustav Nyquist.

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Not quite a day OBXer, just 6 hours technically, haha

Close enough.  Seems longer

I honestly do not think we should make any player for player trades.  In other words, I do not want to trade to trade a player from our CURRENT roster (AHL, prospects and things I don't really care) for another player.  Trip Tracy said during the Dallas game that you do NOT want to disrupt the chemistry this team has a whole; the Nino trade was a great one because he fits in with Brindamour's style of play but the team has so much chemistry right now.  If the deal is right I'm all for it but why mess with something if it's working.  If it's not broke don't fix it. 

I'm watching the trade deadline on NHL.com and saw that Dougie Hamilton and Michael Ferland was on the trading block. If we trade them we need to get another scoring defenseman/forward with a gritty style of play (Ferland) in return.  This is why we can't make any trades unless it's benificial to the team.  I like the way this team is playing right now.  It wouldn't hurt to get another scorer but lets trade prospects for that, not current roster players.

I also think if the price is right we should get Ferland signed.  He did say he wants to stay here.  We have Teuvo for five more years, Martinook for 2.  Lets go ahead and work out a deal with Ferland and Aho long term and sign at least one of our goalies to a long term deal as well.

update: Keith Kinkaid traded to Columbus.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

32 minutes ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

update: Keith Kinkaid traded to Columbus.

Columbus has been busy, busy, busy

Devils get a fifth-round pick in 2022 in return for Kincaid.

If we are able to get an non-rental winger for the playoff run (because there arent any centers that seem to be available) and then move Ferland to recoup the futures, I am good with that.  

Since there arent any 'duh' moves out there, I am cool with standing pat. I dont want to see us in sell mode though unless someone just gives up the moon for Ferland.  

Do you think we'll go after Panarin? Panarin has already said he is not resigning with Columbus next season.  I don't see us getting him at the deadline because Columbus would surely want Aho and that ain't happening but I can see us possibly signing him in the offseason.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

From DD at TSN: Devils with the first move of the morning. Marcus Johansson will go today as well. New Jersey looking for a 2nd round pick.

This is the type of move we need to make...Use the stupid 2nd picked up in the Skinner for Poo trade!!!

Doesn't have to be this specific player just this type of NHL scoring depth move. Keep the rest of the team intact!

Edited by rocheccw
  • Like 4