The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Dual Captaincy was BPs idea, nice to finally hear. Francis was visibly pained giving that conference. Shoulda canned BP when he pitched it, but I guess if you don't fire him for player abuse in front of your eyes then he's golden.

• Like 1

Wow. Go away for a few hours....a lot to sort out about the Canes' Peters years retrospectively. But it also helps explain how TD cleaning house and he and even more the players learning to trust Rod with Rod supporting the players consistently, released them from their Peters' cage and let them fly.

I don't really care about Peters, and it is ironic that he's probably going down along with his mentor Babcock, but I really don't want my image of Francis tarnished.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

I don't really care about Peters, and it is ironic that he's probably going down along with his mentor Babcock, but I really don't want my image of Francis tarnished.

It's either going to be Francis or Karmanos. Could easily see Karmanos not wanting to pay another unemployed coach and overlooked the concerns.

Will be semi interesting to see if TD buys out Karmanos if his name gets trashed.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, remkin said:

Franchise is gonna have to address it one way or another.  Because he can’t escape this.

Interesting that Calgary is underperforming too. Peters is likely out, but more, he probably never works behind an NHL bench again. Not only is Babcock gone, but his pupil goes too.

Brind'Amour and TD are looking good right now. Glad we got past it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

It's either going to be Francis or Karmanos. Could easily see Karmanos not wanting to pay another unemployed coach and overlooked the concerns.

I'm going with Karmonos. Just to keep my Francis image whole. 

• Like 1

Oh and the duel captaincy just to hold J Williams power down? Holy cow pastor Bill, you are nowhere near the guy I thought you were.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

Oh and the duel captaincy just to hold J Williams power down? Holy cow pastor Bill, you are nowhere near the guy I thought you were.

Rod made it perfectly clear at his intro presser his opinion on that and what was REALLY going on to drive that decision...and it was exactly what you stated. 
I think that final year was a lot of BP and Rod arguments behind closed doors.  BP was stuck with Rod and couldn’t fire him.  

Peters is likely out, but more, he probably never works behind an NHL bench again.

He’s got a future as a water dispenser salesman ;)

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

Rod made it perfectly clear at his intro presser his opinion on that and what was REALLY going on to drive that decision...and it was exactly what you stated. 
I think that final year was a lot of BP and Rod arguments behind closed doors.  BP was stuck with Rod and couldn’t fire him.  

Yeah BP probably thought the combo of Brindy and J Willy would be too much for him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, remkin said:

Yeah BP probably thought the combo of Brindy and J Willy would be too much for him.

Cause he probably knew at that point his tactics wouldn’t win the locker room...

Wow! Been away as well. Ol Kinetico is in some hot water......get it?

So catch me up, did Babcock say something as well?

Edited by sleekfeeder

4 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Wow! Been away as well. Ol Kinetico is in some hot water......get it?

So catch me up, did Babcock say something as well?

No, all this 💩 has been coming out after the reports from Toronto and Detroit about some of the shady coaching decisions Babcock has done over the years...and since BP was his protégée 

This is beginning to look like the Sith master/apprentice stuff from Star Wars 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kyrule said:

...and to think I used to get crucified if I even hinted at anything bad about Pastor Bill.

We’re collectively sorry 

9 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Now I'm reading Steve Downie beat the crap outta Aliu for refusing to be hazed when he was 16. 7 knocked out teeth, what a sickening day.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/akim-aliu-hockey-hazing-big-read/sn-amp/?__twitter_impression=true

To say my opinion of Downie has always been low would be giving him credit. 

• Like 2

Be surprised now if a couple more prominent Canes don't weigh in at some point. As stated, and like others I got railroaded many times for having things to say about BP, but I'm closer to being able to put my finger on why he rubbed me the wrong way from the start. The stoic nature at game critical times, and having nothing to say, or no demonstrative or encouraging interaction with players publicly. A lot now is pointing to him having been a "man on an island", and knowing his standing among players as he surely must have, he just didn't bother.  

• Like 1

I do recall calling him out for throwing Lack under the bus in a pretty classless way once, and for the fact that guys seemed cemented into their rolls. But I had no idea he was that type of coach. Brind'Amour was impressed with Peters early on, as at a luncheon I was at he talked about how Peters had a very smart hockey mind. But I'm guessing this other stuff started to happen over time. Guys like that wear out their welcome.

• Like 1

I do recall calling him out for throwing Lack under the bus in a pretty classless way once, and for the fact that guys seemed cemented into their rolls. But I had no idea he was that type of coach. Brind'Amour was impressed with Peters early on, as at a luncheon I was at he talked about how Peters had a very smart hockey mind. But I'm guessing this other stuff started to happen over time. Guys like that wear out their welcome.

Mrs. Wxray mentioned the Lack thing too.  At the time, she was very shocked.  So, she was not surprised by this news.

• Like 1

I find the whole thing interesting on a macro level too. Babcock (and apparently Peters) are examples of old time hard nosed coaches. In the past players were very subservient to management, and didn't really push back much. Stories of that kind of behavior were legion. Today's players are mostly millionaires who are less reliant on the coach and less likely to respond to that kind of coaching. 

It explains why Babcock might have had his success years ago, but not so much recently, and especially on a team of young  millionaire stars like Toronto. To me it also might explain how Peters did seem to get us playing the "right way" early on, but why the team could never take that next step AND how his current star-studded team is failing.

My take is that NHL hockey requires that 110% effort to score most nights. Man do I dislike people who say 110%. But in this case it makes the point because it really is that last little bit of effort to get an inch closer to the net, or two inches holding the puck longer, etc to go from carrying the puck around a lot, which gives the good possession numbers, and actually scoring. The other part is making plays. Years ago I was a high school basketball player of modest talent. When the coach was riding me I was so focused on not making a mistake that I rarely could get into the mindset to go out and make a play. The Canes of Peters were like that. Some combination of not wanting to go outside their lane and not wanting to go that extra 10% for a jerk coach. 

One more thing in that area is getting in front of the net. This is a thing that a lot of players hate doing. They get hit with the puck, they get slashed and cross-checked, etc. Peters was trying to get someone to go to the net all of the years he was here. Guys mostly refused. 

In retrospect this whole thing just boosts the already huge image of what Brind'Amour has done for this franchise. First being the Captain that he was, and now turning this ship from the cult of Peters to the exact opposite. Just look what that has done for this group of talented young players. It is night and day. It is from clear underperform, to solid overperform. Forslund said that Francis is the best player this franchise has had, but Brind'Amour is the most important. Well add coach to that.

• Like 4