The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

10 minutes ago, remkin said:

One more thing in that area is getting in front of the net. This is a thing that a lot of players hate doing. They get hit with the puck, they get slashed and cross-checked, etc. Peters was trying to get someone to go to the net all of the years he was here. Guys mostly refused.

According to Jordan he was kicked and another player punched.  So, why bother going to the net to get kicked and punched when you get it on your own bench?

I imagine some old school players are going crazy over this talk, because abuse was likely part of the system.  But they have to understand the world has moved on. 

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see if John and Tripp mention this stuff in tonight’s telecast.  I realize as team employees and representatives that they have to be careful in what they say on air but I have frankly been quite surprised in the past as to how direct some of their commentary has been on team related matters.

12 hours ago, remkin said:

Yeah BP probably thought the combo of Brindy and J Willy would be too much for him.

Makes sense now that JW wasn't even asked about captaincy.

12 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Rod made it perfectly clear at his intro presser his opinion on that and what was REALLY going on to drive that decision...and it was exactly what you stated. 
I think that final year was a lot of BP and Rod arguments behind closed doors.  BP was stuck with Rod and couldn’t fire him.  

Rod has stated previously along the lines that he didnt have much say as an assistant...just carried out BP's orders.

• Like 1

If half of the speculations are true then TD truly is the white knight. Drained the swamp promptly and decisively. Exactly what you want from an owner who acts to change the culture. It makes more sense now that was their main goal...change the culture.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

According to Jordan he was kicked and another player punched.  So, why bother going to the net to get kicked and punched when you get it on your own bench?

I imagine some old school players are going crazy over this talk, because abuse was likely part of the system.  But they have to understand the world has moved on. 

It's sad to read so many comments online (not here) that Aliu should just grow a thicker skin, "it's 10yrs ago, let it go", he's a disgruntled player who never made it, or that locker room talk should remain sacred and immune to scrutiny. I'm not advocating crucifying BP until proven guilty, but to continue to sweep seedy issues under the rug to protect what they think hockey's image should be is unacceptable. Some people are just set in their ways and those dinosaurs just need to die off.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bing_Chow said:

It's sad to read so many comments online (not here) that Aliu should just grow a thicker skin, "it's 10yrs ago, let it go", he's a disgruntled player who never made it, or that locker room talk should remain sacred and immune to scrutiny. I'm not advocating crucifying BP until proven guilty, but to continue to sweep seedy issues under the rug to protect what they think hockey's image should be is unacceptable. Some people are just set in their ways and those dinosaurs just need to die off.

10 years is nothing.  I may think twice about 50 80 years ago.  But 10?  Uh, I think we had a handle on usage of certain words in 2009. 

EDIT: as I walked away from this post, I realized that 50 years was wrong.  It was almost exactly 50 years ago when Brian Piccolo threw that racial epithet at Gale Sears.  But, it was done as a way of showing a deep bond.  (You have to read Gale's book to fully understand, although the first TV movie "Brian's Song" does a decent job.)

In short, the NFL was moving beyond segregation and name calling.  It was the late 60s and that kind of stuff wouldn't be tolerated.  It clearly wouldn't be tolerated in 2009!  The reason Gale tolerated it from Brian in that deep moment is something lost on the surface shock, and hence why the scene is cut and was removed from the remake.

Edited by wxray1

Since as has been reported; that a leadership group of players went around BP to RF, and he didn't address the players concerns. At the very least, it's likely that the underperformance of the team was the result. There must have been more than Jordan's allegations going on for a group of players to go to the GM. Don't be surprised if RF faces quite a bit of scrutiny up in Seattle for that episode. It's also likely that RB knew what was going on and how the players felt, but was in a lose/lose situation if he spoke up. 

I am guessing there is a lot of truth to everything.  Given the chance to actually defend Peters, none of Rod, Jordan Staal, or Slavin did so.  Mainly they demurred.  And if the charges were false, I think Peters would have strongly denied everything by now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AssistantGM said:

Since as has been reported; that a leadership group of players went around BP to RF, and he didn't address the players concerns. At the very least, it's likely that the underperformance of the team was the result. There must have been more than Jordan's allegations going on for a group of players to go to the GM. Don't be surprised if RF faces quite a bit of scrutiny up in Seattle for that episode. It's also likely that RB knew what was going on and how the players felt, but was in a lose/lose situation if he spoke up. 

Adding to what Slap was saying about TD, it is much easier now to understand why not only BP, but also Francis was let go. 

It is speculation, but I'm thinking TD listened intently to Brind'Amour, and put his lot in with his version of things and executed the changes based largely on that, including making him coach, and probably still giving him major say on the committee. Pretty smart move as it turns out.

3 hours ago, RickD_99 said:

It will be interesting to see if John and Tripp mention this stuff in tonight’s telecast.  I realize as team employees and representatives that they have to be careful in what they say on air but I have frankly been quite surprised in the past as to how direct some of their commentary has been on team related matters.

I think they might allude to it. All of the bad actors have moved on, and it would back up the current owner, management and coach. I doubt they get to specific or go far with it, but I wouldn't be shocked if it comes up.

2 minutes ago, OBXer said:

The lack of denial and lack of support for Peters, is deafening in it's silence. There is way more to this. That much is clear now.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

The lack of denial and lack of support for Peters, is deafening in it's silence. There is way more to this. That much is clear now.

Simple denial will not help to control damage here. And all possible supporters (if any) understand that they will also be marked as racists straight away

13 minutes ago, remkin said:

I think they might allude to it. All of the bad actors have moved on, and it would back up the current owner, management and coach. I doubt they get to specific or go far with it, but I wouldn't be shocked if it comes up.

Yeah, I think it will be mentioned briefly. John will probably state they will sit back as it unfolds.

7 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

Simple denial will not help to control damage here. And all possible supporters (if any) understand that they will also be marked as racists straight away

I understand sidestepping the racial slur issue, but there are other things too. And, if he never heard Peters say it, or never saw the stuff that is coming out Brind'Amour could have made a vague, "I didn't hear it or see that type of stuff when he was here, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen". Instead, basically, "I'm not going to talk about it, let the Calgary guys figure it out". Also implying there is some stuff for them to figure out.

Well that was more direct. "It happened, management dealt with it."

But IT HAPPENED is the message. At this point anything else is a bit of "other than that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

• Like 1

I do wonder if they will try to hold RB to any responsibility in this issue.  Did he tell anyone since he obviously knows that it happened?  I hope so, I would think that he would with his character.  I hope this does not disrupt what he have built over the last year.  This could get very ugly depending on the facts surrounding it I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tightlinez said:

I do wonder if they will try to hold RB to any responsibility in this issue.  Did he tell anyone since he obviously knows that it happened?  I hope so, I would think that he would with his character.  I hope this does not disrupt what he have built over the last year.  This could get very ugly depending on the facts surrounding it I think.

Perhaps now is the time to step back from the edge?

• Like 1