The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Brindy confronted the allegations against Peters head on. If anything it reinforces his reputation as a straight shooter.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, cc said:

Perhaps now is the time to step back from the edge?

not at all, just thinking out loud.  This kind of crap has a way of snow balling.  I just hope that it doesn't do that with us.  Things are going in the right direction, would hate to see something like this disrupt it.  That's all.

53 minutes ago, remkin said:

Well that was more direct. "It happened, management dealt with it."

But IT HAPPENED is the message. At this point anything else is a bit of "other than that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

"IT" is the incident with Jordan and another player.  We have multiple incidents at multiple sites with different issues.  It is becoming confusing.  I don't think RB is referring to the Rockford situation.

The "IT" here sounds like it was handled via a personnel matter.  Happens all the time in the workplace.  Not everything requires a firing.  Presumably, some sort of discipline was involved, i.e. "the handle/dealt with it" part.

21 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Holy 💩!  Now I REALLY wanna know Rod’s perspective since he was there the whole time 

Rod on NHL radio network says incidents being reported in Carolina here are true, that it was taken to leadership and addressed somehow internally (clearly not well since we didn’t fire BP).

Edited by caneswincup

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Brindy confronted the allegations against Peters head on. If anything it reinforces his reputation as a straight shooter.

Good on Rod to speak to the issue without a lot of doublespeak.

6 hours ago, remkin said:

I do recall calling him out for throwing Lack under the bus in a pretty classless way once, and for the fact that guys seemed cemented into their rolls. But I had no idea he was that type of coach. Brind'Amour was impressed with Peters early on, as at a luncheon I was at he talked about how Peters had a very smart hockey mind. But I'm guessing this other stuff started to happen over time. Guys like that wear out their welcome.

You can have a brilliant hockey mind and still be a PoS.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, caneswincup said:

Rod on NHL radio network says incidents being reported in Carolina here are true, that it was taken to leadership and addressed somehow internally (clearly not well since we didn’t fire BP).

Yeah, that is what confuses me to an extent, because Rod says he was proud of the way it was handled.  The issue was taken to management and they (management) dealt with it.  Was Peters fined?  Clearly he was not fired, as this happened a couple of years before he left the team, if I understand the timeline right.  There seem to be more questions than ever right now.

Edited by Bigfist

Good article in the Athletic Hainsey,Liles and Faulk addressed the issue in Peter's office then further within the organization. Article states Peter's fell out of grace with team members and continued to worsen when JW wasn't considered for Captain.. https://t.co/4eQkgv15vG?amp=1

Edited by slapshot02

1 hour ago, caneswincup said:

What one thing that happened here would make you think that Peters had a brilliant hockey mind?

3 hours ago, wxray1 said:

"IT" is the incident with Jordan and another player.  We have multiple incidents at multiple sites with different issues.  It is becoming confusing.  I don't think RB is referring to the Rockford situation.

The "IT" here sounds like it was handled via a personnel matter.  Happens all the time in the workplace.  Not everything requires a firing.  Presumably, some sort of discipline was involved, i.e. "the handle/dealt with it" part.

I agree and will go a step further. Even if it merited a firing Rod was below Peter's, the issue was taken to the people above Peter's and all those guys (Ronnie and Karmanos) are gone. Unless someone still with the team had say in this a did nothing this should quickly blow past the Canes with 0 damage. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caneswincup said:

45 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

What one thing that happened here would make you think that Peters had a brilliant hockey mind?

How about Bill Peter’s brilliant “race to 3 goals” principle that swept the hockey coaching world??? And who could forget the wrestling belt and fireman’s hat (and ax!) as great team motivators, truly inspired coaching genius! 😜

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Red_Storm said:

How about Bill Peter’s brilliant “race to 3 goals” principle that swept the hockey coaching world??? And who could forget the wrestling belt and fireman’s hat (and ax!) as great team motivators, truly inspired coaching genius! 😜

I loved the line blender myself.  

• Like 4

The brilliant hockey mind thing was what Brind'Amour said at a lunch I attended. He said Peters is way up there when it comes to hockey knowledge and strategy. 

Personally, I think he's a smart guy but there were things he made a big deal of that I think are not that important, but then I have a much less brilliant hockey mind, so what do I know? Don't answer that. :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, caniac6 said:

I didn’t think/say he had a brilliant hockey mind. Someone else quoted Brindy as saying it. My point was brilliance, talent, etc. or lack therefore has no standing as to whether a person is decent or not.

I loathed BP and thought his hockey IQ was in single digits. Two captains, Skinner handling, etc.

Edited by caneswincup
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, caneswincup said:

I loathed BP and thought his hockey IQ was in single digits. Two captains, Skinner handling, etc.

Loathed is pretty strong. But I think the hockey IQ thing was more X and Os. Clearly he learned his personal handling of the people working for him from Babcock. The two captains thing was apparently more him feeling threatened by Justin Williams, and probably his relationship with Brindy. That's not so much hockey IQ as much as just feeling threatened and allowing that to push him to a boneheaded decision on the two headed captaincy.

Karmanos issued a statement saying he would’ve fired BP in a nanosecond had Franchise brought up the kicking and hitting issues to him.  If true, this is incredibly damning of Franchise.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Loathed is pretty strong. But I think the hockey IQ thing was more X and Os. Clearly he learned his personal handling of the people working for him from Babcock. The two captains thing was apparently more him feeling threatened by Justin Williams, and probably his relationship with Brindy. That's not so much hockey IQ as much as just feeling threatened and allowing that to push him to a boneheaded decision on the two headed captaincy.

IDK rem? Agree with you on the harshness of loathed, and Peters' hockey IQ, IF Francis is to be believed and was not just "blowing smoke" when he basically proclaimed Peters a hockey guru as he hired him?

My question here though is about your next statement  about where he learned the handling of people? As much as I stood up for Peters even as he was falling out of favor it would seem with many on here, mainly based on my respect for Francis' vote of confidence, I always thought that Peters' public persona was "strange". Ergo, many postgame interviews were strangely phrased, the Kinetico ad was grating and often the man's behind the bench in game reactions were bizarre? Now, I'm not sure when Peters became a Babcock protege, but don't the reports of this player, Aliu or whatever his name, being racially humiliated precede his time with Babcock? Too lazy to look that up, but even if not, a personality flaw, LIKE THIS SOUNDS, likely preceded their time together by many years? I mean after all a stable personality doesn't destabilize with a "brief" encounter no matter how impressive the legend (Babcock) may be?

RF's lack of a statement is unfortunate because I want to say cheapskate Karmanos is lying. It's ridiculously easy to believe he refused to pay a second coach to not coach.

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

RF's lack of a statement is unfortunate because I want to say cheapskate Karmanos is lying. It's ridiculously easy to believe he refused to pay a second coach to not coach.

I don’t want to believe that such a player and great ambassador of hockey like Franchise would allow crap like this to happen...but the evidence sure points that way 

4 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

I don’t want to believe that such a player and great ambassador of hockey like Franchise would allow crap like this to happen...but the evidence sure points that way 

Correct.  Still, we need to hear what Francis has to say.  On the face of things, it looks like he (Francis) covered the whole thing up, but I am willing to at least hear his side of the story.  He better speak up soon.

6 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I don't know how coaching contracts work, but wouldn't that be just cause for terminating the contract and not being on the hook to continue paying Peters?

56 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I don't know how coaching contracts work, but wouldn't that be just cause for terminating the contract and not being on the hook to continue paying Peters?

Probably, so that's unfortunate in keeping up the hope for RF.