Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Recommended Posts

The longer RF goes silent the more damaging the allegation becomes. Very suprised RF didnt inform PK of the incident. Even more suprised that RF allowed BP to go with the co captaincy approach considering RF was considering firing Peter's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

Waiting for one more letter regarding punching and kicking Canes players. On the other hand Pete's used all those words talking about music not about Aliu.

Edited by Bonivan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

Waiting for one more letter regarding punching and kicking Canes players. On the other hand Pete's used all those words talking about music not about Aliu.

How different would it have been if Peters had walked in the room and just said shut off that damn crappy music instead of N-word music?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tlusty:

 

"He's arrogant. Wish players don't have to meet that man again. He's not going to change. There were more stuff like that in Carolina. Kicking into Michal Jordan's back? That's acting like a rat."
 

 

From Facebook:

Let’s take a look at those standings, shall we:

People who like Peters: 

Mike Babcock, Ron Francis

People who don’t like Peters: 

Everyone else who has ever worked with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots to digest on the Peters thing.  I don't put a lot of merit on Karmanos' statement because it's easy to say what you would have done when you don't have to do anything.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if it later comes out that he knew something.  Francis...I just don't know what to say.  To let this go on and not "handle" it is rough.  He definitely has some explaining to do.  Roddy is coming off as the straight shooter we would assume he is.  I would imagine that the accusations will continue to be a constant drip, drip, drip for a while.  

 

Flames need to move on.  The team is underperforming and I'd have to assume the locker room there needs this cloud to blow over.  Peters is done in hockey.

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

I don’t want to believe that such a player and great ambassador of hockey like Franchise would allow crap like this to happen...but the evidence sure points that way 

My impression it's only PK words so far, and many people commenting that tweet saying they don't trust PK and believe in what he is saying.

Definitely, RF has something to say

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Folks are deducing it was Pesce who was punched. His trade request and then dropping it with BP gone.

Dear lord...if he had left a lot of us would’ve gone apoplectic!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

Tlusty:

 

"He's arrogant. Wish players don't have to meet that man again. He's not going to change. There were more stuff like that in Carolina. Kicking into Michal Jordan's back? That's acting like a rat."
 

 

From Facebook:

Let’s take a look at those standings, shall we:

People who like Peters: 

Mike Babcock, Ron Francis

People who don’t like Peters: 

Everyone else who has ever worked with him.

I have a difficult time accepting Ronnie Francis is in any way a bad guy, at least until this story plays out.  Please do not rush to judge him.  I have followed him for just under 40 years, really believe he is a good person, so again, it is a mistake to pre-judge until the facts come out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I have a difficult time accepting Ronnie Francis is in any way a bad guy, at least until this story plays out.  Please do not rush to judge him.  I have followed him for just under 40 years, really believe he is a good person, so again, it is a mistake to pre-judge until the facts come out.

I get it...cause I don’t want to believe that he enabled this by his inactions...but there’s a LOT of smoke. And this deserves scrutiny if he knew about it and didn’t act on it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

I agree, Bill Peters was an a-hole. He coached us to many losses and caused lots of fan discontent in Carolina 🤬🤬

 

😎

Just remember though...there were a number of posters on here who wanted him back for a fifth year.  Of course, no one knew what we know now, but there was a camp who wanted him gone based upon results.  We had some very spirited discussions on here about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Bigfist said:

Just remember though...there were a number of posters on here who wanted him back for a fifth year.  Of course, no one knew what we know now, but there was a camp who wanted him gone based upon results.  We had some very spirited discussions on here about it.

Understood. That post was partially sarcastic but resonates some truth and credence now. I personally was OK with BP throughout most of his time in Raleigh but I think many will agree, his shelf life was up.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just thinking back, and trying to put things in context and timeline. I may be off on the timeline here, but still possibly not on the content. I'm wondering if the Francis firing had anything to do with the handling of the player issues and his unwillingness to axe the coach both earlier and after TD took over. The assumption was that he refused to give up power and be part of the committee, and maybe that he was unable to execute the big trade, and it might have been all of that only. But I think TD went and talked to everybody right down the the assistant equipment managers and certainly talked to Brind'Amour. If Brindy was straight he'd have told him that due to many things the team played too tight under Peters and the players did not like or play for him. 

 

TD would have also gone to Francis, who may have defended Peters. I don't know, this is all speculation. 

 

More speculation. Francis survives all of this as GM of Seattle, Peters though is out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, remkin said:

Just thinking back, and trying to put things in context and timeline. I may be off on the timeline here, but still possibly not on the content. I'm wondering if the Francis firing had anything to do with the handling of the player issues and his unwillingness to axe the coach both earlier and after TD took over. The assumption was that he refused to give up power and be part of the committee, and maybe that he was unable to execute the big trade, and it might have been all of that only. But I think TD went and talked to everybody right down the the assistant equipment managers and certainly talked to Brind'Amour. If Brindy was straight he'd have told him that due to many things the team played too tight under Peters and the players did not like or play for him. 

 

TD would have also gone to Francis, who may have defended Peters. I don't know, this is all speculation. 

 

More speculation. Francis survives all of this as GM of Seattle, Peters though is out.

I'm going to take a shot at this rem, and I'm sure some of what I'm about to comment will be contested, but so it goes? As super_dave commented about 20hrs ago, there's a lot to digest from all this Peters' discussion? Perusing thru even our small sampling on this site, there's obviously impassioned pros and cons of the various players in this expose? BUT, IMHO that's the way sports affects us all, an alter ego of sorts for expression of our repressed (or maybe not repressed) passions?

 

Modern day "gladiators", players compete at a level we all wish we could, and are revered by the masses for it. Entitlement comes with that "reverence" in which we admire these modern gladiators, and at that point, we begin to resent this attribute and start to reel these guys back into societal mores, failing to understand that society is part of the equation in this entitlement scenario.

 

So far, I've held my tongue in the current outrage that surrounds Bill Peters to sift thru the details. While I certainly enjoin those who condemn his combined racial and physical player abuse, I just have to wonder out loud if those who are the most vocal in condemnation think that he is the only coach to engage in these types of reprehensible (it would appear) actions? If that be the feeling, I challenge anyone to show me a sport free of these reputed ills. Further, I do believe that to engage in a sport, any sport, one has to be impassioned, and that passion is the undoing of our inner restraints.

 

Now, do I give Bill Peters a pass on these reputed transgressions, no way, but at the same time I don't point at him like he's some type of pariah and an anomaly to the hockey world? Again an equally loud, no way. Even on here, there have been occasional comments about how a coach does not seem to show "passion" to inspire his team, or alternatively to convince us that he does have that passion. So, I suggest that there's a very fine line between coach that is physical in displaying that passion (head butts, hits on back, grabs a jersey or whatever), IN THE HEAT OF THE MOMENT, or just screams out. 

 

Now as to Francis, the Golden Boy it would seem to many? To me, I doubt that his role in this fiasco will ever truly come to light, but as in the military and I'm sure quite a few industries, the "lesser head(s)" will roll, then the professed public outcry will be assuaged for the moment and proverbial pitchforks will be set aside until another "evil" surfaces?

 

Thanks to all for reading my best remkinish treatise? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and the hits keep on coming...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kjunkane....I didn't want to quote your entire post, but when you said  " I just have to wonder out loud if those who are the most vocal in condemnation think that he is the only coach to engage in these types of reprehensible (it would appear) actions?", I was taken back to Jerry Kramer, a Green Bay Packer guard, who remarked about Vince Lombardi "he treats us all the same, like dogs." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a lot going on with the Peters situation. First of all, he’s clearly toast in Calgary. Their were rumors he was on thin ice before any of the stuff about inappropriate racial comments and player abuse came out. I think Calgary is just collecting as much documentation as they can to be able to void his contract. Or if Peters is really lucky, maybe they are negotiating a buyout. No way he can stay, though. I do wonder if this might have played out differently if it had come up last year when Calgary was first in the Western Conference. A playoff flameout and bad start aren’t helping Peters, though if Calgary has integrity, the record would not matter.

 

As far as the physical abuse allegations in Carolina and how they affect Francis, I’m not sure Ronnie will take a fall. I know it’s a different era, but Vince Lombardi was famous for physically abusing players. Of course, now that many players  on most teams make more money than the head coach, the leverage is different. But back to RF, Rod said he was proud of the team because when the players reported the abuse to management, it was addressed right away and stopped. If Francis put a stop to the player abuse but didn’t fire Peters, does that exonerate Francis? It doesn’t sound like something that went on for all of Peters’ time here. I don’t know if Francis is hunkering down and hoping when Peters is fired this will blow over, but he really ought to come out and tell his side of the story. The most concerning thing to me is that Peters got an extension and I don’t know if that was before or after Francis was made aware of the physical abuse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Peters got fired and Bigfist beat me to my comparison to Lombardi while I was typing, but now we all need to wait and see what Ronnie says and whether he goes down with Peters. Karmanos is sure doing everything he can to distance himself from the abuse allegations and dump everything on Francis. I wonder if the relationships damaged that were decades in the making were RF and RB, RF and PK, RB and PK, or all of the above? Might PK be even more motivated to dump on Ronnie since PK’s son was also an assistant GM at the time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't compare Vince Lombardi or a guy like Bobby Knight to coaching today.  Things change and even Knight was ousted for similar accusations.  Lots of things were "acceptable" (maybe tolerated is a better word) years ago that we all see now as wrong.  Who among us knows what Francis knew, but it's hard to believe that he knew nothing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...