The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

When Brindy spoke about the allegations he said it was taken to management, addressed and never happened again. Perhaps Francis thought he had dealt with and handled the situation. I'm not sure I buy into my own speculation but perhaps. The racial aspect wasn't known at the time. Even so Francis extended Peters contract.  Francis needs to speak up.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Well, Peters got fired and Bigfist beat me to my comparison to Lombardi while I was typing, but now we all need to wait and see what Ronnie says and whether he goes down with Peters. Karmanos is sure doing everything he can to distance himself from the abuse allegations and dump everything on Francis. I wonder if the relationships damaged that were decades in the making were RF and RB, RF and PK, RB and PK, or all of the above? Might PK be even more motivated to dump on Ronnie since PK’s son was also an assistant GM at the time?

Seems like Karmanos has totally thrown Ronnie under the bus, saying he would have fired Peters in a nanosecond if he had known any of this, and that he has his calls into Ronnie.  Well, PK, the buck does not stop at Ronnie, so it's going to be hard to distant yourself.  Ronnie is a class act, and I suspect now that the Flames have dismissed Peters, Ronnie will come forward.

I don’t think there is any doubt Francis knew. RB said players went to management and the abuse stopped. So Francis obviously took action, but was it enough? Should he have fired Peters right then. Ronnie needs to tell his side of this sooner than later. It’s like waiting for him to make a trade!

Apparently Peters resigned. I don't think there is any doubt he would of been fired. I listened to the Flames GM press conference

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

... Ronnie needs to tell his side of this sooner than later. It’s like waiting for him to make a trade!

I think the way things are falling into place, Francis calls a press conference to announce Bill Peters as the coach of Seattle...! 😜

• Like 1

I’ve seen quite a few comments in Sara Civian’s Twitter mentions along the lines of Karmanos is sleazy a.f. and not to believe a word that comes out of his mouth. One person mentioned that under Karmanos everyone was constantly on eggshells. Under such a scenario one could easily envision Francis being highly incentivized to cover up the allegations of physical abuse before they ever got to Karmanos. I’m not saying that exonerates Francis entirely but it does help us understand how things may have played out as they did.

5 hours ago, OBXer said:

When Brindy spoke about the allegations he said it was taken to management, addressed and never happened again. Perhaps Francis thought he had dealt with and handled the situation. I'm not sure I buy into my own speculation but perhaps. The racial aspect wasn't known at the time. Even so Francis extended Peters contract.  Francis needs to speak up.

Dealing with it may have included some penalties we are not privy to.  Not everything requires a firing.  We don't know exactly what happened.  It likely ended up on the record and was one reason we saw the swift moves by Tom.

Should players get fired when they fight at practice?   I know management-players is different than player-player.  But...  I'm sure there are physical abuse clauses, yet we've seen fights at practice and it is frequently blown off.  Most famously when Lavi called a practice fight "brotherly love."

Etc.

Edited by wxray1

16 hours ago, RickD_99 said:

I’ve seen quite a few comments in Sara Civian’s Twitter mentions along the lines of Karmanos is sleazy a.f. and not to believe a word that comes out of his mouth. One person mentioned that under Karmanos everyone was constantly on eggshells. Under such a scenario one could easily envision Francis being highly incentivized to cover up the allegations of physical abuse before they ever got to Karmanos. I’m not saying that exonerates Francis entirely but it does help us understand how things may have played out as they did.

It is interesting that my wife's take was the same. She fully believes that Karmanos knew all along. I'm not so sure.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

It is interesting that my wife's take was the same. She fully believes that Karmanos knew all along. I'm not so sure.

Francis issued a statement that was pretty light on details but the key detail of note was that he “briefed ownership” on the Bill Peters incident and his actions.  Ball now in Karmanos’ court if he would care to respond... :popcorn:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Red_Storm said:

Francis issued a statement that was pretty light on details but the key detail of note was that he “briefed ownership” on the Bill Peters incident and his actions.  Ball now in Karmanos’ court if he would care to respond... :popcorn:

https://www.nhl.com/news/statement-from-ron-franics-on-bill-peters/c-311996950 link to Ronnie's statement. I would like more details regarding what exactly was briefed. It might be "there was an accident between coach and players but I've handled it" without any other details.

Because I think if Ronnie told something like this "you know Peter, the coach whom I've hired just punched two of the players" both Bill and Ronnie could have been fired "in nanosecond".

Edited by Bonivan

5 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/statement-from-ron-franics-on-bill-peters/c-311996950 link to Ronnie's statement. I would like more details regarding what exactly was briefed. It might be "there was an accident between coach and players but I've handled it" without any other details.

Right, it is foolhardy, I think, for Francis to have been vague about it.  If he provided a copy of a written reprimand or some written briefing that included details to management, Francis should have said so to kill that issue.  Why fuel speculation?  If the “briefing” he provided wasn’t specific, he should have said something now with a ‘while I communicated it to management I could have done it better’ in his statement to defuse it from coming out later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cc said:

If Ronnie thinks his little blurb is the last word he needs to think again.

That statement reeked of CYA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sleekfeeder said:

Looks like the "Pool Party" hub bub has been put to bed. He's been ruled ineligible to play this season in the NHL after the deadline has passed.

Is this deadline only for RFAs? )))))

4 hours ago, Bonivan said:

Is this deadline only for RFAs? )))))

Yes, as of 5 pm yesterday

edit: Anyone smarter than me (that means all y’all) know what happens to a RFA who sits and ends up missing the whole season?  Does he automatically go to UFA this summer?

Edited by AWACSooner

5 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Yes, as of 5 pm yesterday

edit: Anyone smarter than me (that means all y’all) know what happens to a RFA who sits and ends up missing the whole season?  Does he automatically go to UFA this summer?

No, I'm almost positive the Oil retain the rights to him.   Subject came up as Nylander was approaching the deadline last season. 

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

No, I'm almost positive the Oil retain the rights to him.   Subject came up as Nylander was approaching the deadline last season. 

Indefinitely?  If so, I wish they’d implement that for the college kids so we don’t get Fox’d again!

5 hours ago, remkin said:

Apparently Puljujarvi is basically a point/game in Karpat in Finland. 

With the edge we seem to have there, and particularly Aho's Dad scouting him, apparently management was not willing to taking a flyer to put him alongside 2 or more of his countrymen? Do you find that intriguing rem? I'm guessing that Pulj must not be worth what is being asked for him, at least to us?

I still think Puljujarvi has potential, but you don't pay for potential.  Until he realizes that potential on North American ice, he's worth Derek Ryan money.  And by that i mean Hurricane contract Derek Ryan money, which obviously he wasn't willing to play for.