The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

14 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

With the edge we seem to have there, and particularly Aho's Dad scouting him, apparently management was not willing to taking a flyer to put him alongside 2 or more of his countrymen? Do you find that intriguing rem? I'm guessing that Pulj must not be worth what is being asked for him, at least to us?

I think on a similar vein as realm. I still have reservations about him and would not want to overpay for him, and in fact would want him if there were a bargain both in salary and cost to obtain him. And it's not just the question marks around him, it's that we have a really nice pipeline already. Further, if Haula is not going to be back, we really need a center if anything. The way we approach the center position, unless we move Necas there, guys like Geekie and especially Suzuki, the only couple of high end potential centers in the system, are 2-4 years away from NHL center. I'd take a chance on Pulju if the price to obtain was small and the deal was favorable, but those probably push him out of our zone.

15 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Indefinitely?  If so, I wish they’d implement that for the college kids so we don’t get Fox’d again!

I'm sure it's not indefinitely, but I don't know how many years the rights last.  I think it was mentioned in the Nylander thread how long the kid would have had to sit out if he refused to sign but I don't remember how many, and don't have time to look it up right now.  

On 12/2/2019 at 11:43 AM, AWACSooner said:

Yes, as of 5 pm yesterday

edit: Anyone smarter than me (that means all y’all) know what happens to a RFA who sits and ends up missing the whole season?  Does he automatically go to UFA this summer?

On 12/2/2019 at 5:26 PM, LakeLivin said:

No, I'm almost positive the Oil retain the rights to him.   Subject came up as Nylander was approaching the deadline last season. 

23 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Indefinitely?  If so, I wish they’d implement that for the college kids so we don’t get Fox’d again!

After thinking about it, seems like a team would retain rights to a player until he would otherwise qualify for UFA status.  From Wikipedia:

"A player who is no longer considered to be entry-level, but does not qualify as an unrestricted free agent, becomes a restricted free agent when his contract expires. A player may only declare himself to be an unrestricted free agent if he is over the age of 27 or has played in the league for a minimum of 7 years."

If that's the case it will be years before Pulj will qualify as a UFA.

As far as drafted but unsigned players (and it doesn't apply to just college kids), the drafting team retains rights for 4 years after the draft.  

56 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

As far as drafted but unsigned players (and it doesn't apply to just college kids), the drafting team retains rights for 4 years after the draft.  

That needs to change in the next CBA

Drip Drip Drip.    One time Cane-(for those that remember the lovely 02-03 season.)  Loved his descriptive comment.

OTTAWA SUN: Senators players Dylan DeMelo and Mark Borowiecki claim they had a good relationship with Crawford during his tenure with the club. Former Senator and Canucks Alex Burrows praised Crawford for helping him become an NHL player.  

Another former Canuck, Harold Druken, accused Crawford of physical and verbal abuse when he broke into the league. “I can’t believe he’s still coaching, I wouldn’t let him coach my dog,” said Druken.   

This would be Marc Crawford who assailed Avery who since said, basically "he deserved it and liked the guy".  Imagine that.

Had a nice quiet evening at home (finally after weeks of traveling and other events), so I settle in and decide to get some extra use out of my NHL TV subscription.  Tune into Evil Empire West vs New Jersey for a mind-numbing contest between these two mighty teams....ok I'm going to get another rum and eggnog

On 12/7/2019 at 11:58 PM, Derailed75 said:

The Lav thing is getting over blown. The guy he hit said he was demonstrating something and didnt mean to hit him and apologized right away

Yeah Lavi stated he tried to punch the palm of his other hand to demonstrate something during a time out.??

4 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

Three stars of the week Dec 3-8:

image.thumb.png.d0f267aa176f43461127f585ef07d712.png

Carlson from WSH has 6 pts in 3GP - 1st star, Eichel 7 pts in 4 GP. 

Aho has 5 pts in 1 game and not even honorably mentioned?!

The bias is real...always has been regarding us and the media 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

Do you expect anything different? Homerism and snobbery at its finest? 

• Like 2

Bettman's statement: As it relates to incidents involving Bill Peters in Carolina - there seems to be some confusion between statements by Peter Karmanos and Ron Francis, which I still need to sort out. However, I am fairly clear that none of this has anything to do with Carolina under Tom Dundon, who was among the first to call me when Peters' conduct came to light and he first learned about the Peters physical abuse allegations in Carolina.

https://www.nhl.com/news/commissioner-bettman-releases-statement-on-board-of-governors-meeting/c-312371072

Edited by Bonivan

Bettman's statement is pretty strong language.   You can say all you want that this is a soft society etc. and in some cases maybe true.  But if is really too bad that physical abuse is only  a one way street.   It would be nice for a player to be able to punch a coach out for hitting him.   But....he would be immediately banned from hockey for the rest of his life.  But if a coach hits a player oh....that's o.k.   There is a fine line between encouraging strongly and abuse.   I for one am glad the culture is changing.   As far as the issue with Aliu - I could not even imagine how hard it has been for him to keep his mouth shut all these years out of fear.    I have to give it to the league - they are not messing around.  

11 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

Or, maybe that's why it's the three stars of the week, and not of the game?

I get the umbrage over the Canes not getting enough love, but seriously, you don't get weekly honors for one-night performances. SeaBass wore the horse collar in his other two games last week.

• Like 1

Common thread-  Jettison peters= begin winning-  Just sayin.     Calgary 6-0-1 in past seven, 5-0-0 when coached by Ward;

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cc said:

Jettison peters= begin winning-

Looks plain as rain if ya ask me. A "cancer in the room" can be generated by different sources. I think he was probably a pretty good hockey man, but possesses the type of personality that just wears on people over time in whatever profession. After the regular season performance last season, for Calgary to just dump in the 1st round, said to me he probably had maxed out his value to that group. I actually thought the same here, and that we had enough to be a playoff team his last couple years, but players had stopped responding. Even just the moderate amount of disclosures about him doesn't paint an entire portrait by any means, yet when I think back to the ways in which the Canes surrendered shifts, periods, games and stretches of games over a few years there, it is indicative of a disgruntled(for whatever reason) group. Certainly we were a group under his tenure that didn't possess enough high end talent, but the will to start on time, finish and be driven to over achieve while sitting right on the cusp of playoff hockey was severely lacking. I could be wrong, but I think I know why now. 

12 hours ago, 2ndsacker said:

I could be wrong, but I think I know why now. 

I won't even begin to defend what Peters did to Michal Jordan or prior to his arrival here, because it is indefensible. But do you (now) also happen to know why the team suffered from all the same maladies you list before he even showed up here? And maybe why Peters (who is clearly unable to manage frustration in a acceptable way) blew up at the end of his second season here?

The answer is the guys in the GM's and majority owner's offices, not the coaches--including (much as I hate to admit it) Mo. I don't like the style he plays and coaches, but his ability to make lemonade out of lemons is beyond dispute. The fact he couldn't on his last tour here rests entirely with management/ownership in my book, and I'll venture that the same held for Muller.

Meddlesome management is the road to hell. If you're not willing to hire (and sign) guys and let them do their jobs without interfering, you're not a manager. You're the fly in the ointment. 

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 2

In today’s shocking news: Dallas Stars just fired Jim Montgomery for unprofessional conduct...

No word on what he did...more info forthcoming