The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

The hits just keep on coming. I'm sure more will be revealed. As often happens after events like the coaching "scandal" we are witnessing it takes on a life of its own. A lot of people could be caught up in this. Many already are.

39 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

In today’s shocking news: Dallas Stars just fired Jim Montgomery for unprofessional conduct...

No word on what he did...more info forthcoming  

After Bettman's presser I think every owner/GM will reconsider incidents happened with coaches/oher staff  and take actions before that leaks to the public just not to be punished by the League for covering that stuff.

For me the only interesting open questions are:

Will Seattle have to open GM search again?

Are we going to hear any sexual harassment allegations just to complete that hat-trick (already heard racial and physical abuse)?

I tend to look at this stuff from a different vantage, that of the team performance under this kind of management. I bet if you graph it out, overall these coaches have teams that ultimately underperform. I don't know Babcock's long term history, but my theory is that a tough guy coach could historically get a very good team to win, because they have a very good team. But even then, eventually that team starts underperforming. They talk about those kind of coaches having a short shelf life, but I do think that as the league has evolved the negative effect of that brutish style of coaching has magnified (ie even before all of this, those teams performed worse and worse under that kind of coach as the players have changed).

I also have a general interest in the effect of players who are "locker room cancers", on team winning. You think plus/minus is a tough thing to measure, try figuring out how many wins or losses a single malcontent, or malignant personality of a player has had on team success. I don't know if anyone has tried to measure it, but I'd be interested if they did. There are isolated cases, but even knowing if a guy is that malignant in the room is hard to know for sure, let alone trying to figure out how many losses are due to that guy. 

But hockey is just such an extreme effort dependent game and a physical one where you can get your head knocked off, that it is my opinion that team chemistry matters more in hockey than in any other sport. I really miss Patrick O' Sullivan's takes on XM. Not sure why he left, but he gave an insider's look from a player perspective that was brutally honest.  He said that there were really very few guys that could turn a locker room, most guys just had different personalities. He said that Mike Hoffman was such a cancer. This is a supremely offensively gifted guy. He puts up serious points. His teams tend to underperform. But that is one guy and there are soooo many things that go into the equation. 

However, imagine the magnification of that effect it it's the coach that has the malignant, abusive personality? It was clear during the Peters years that players learned to stay in their lanes (figuratively). They played the system to a tee, but were too tight to make plays. We'd amass lots of shots and limit shots, but not score or stop the goals. Now we might know why. Scoring means getting closer to the net (hard to do) and making plays (might make a mistake). Stopping goals means blocking shots, etc. Peter's teams looked pretty good around the ice, but did not finish the job at either end. I think Calgary was doing that this year, after a good year (but early playoff exit) last year.

It is beyond interesting to me that one of the first things Brind'Amour said upon taking over was that he wanted guys to feel free to make plays, even if that meant making mistakes and breaking out of the system. He then backed that up over and over, offering almost exclusively public support for his players all year long. I don't think it's a coincidence that it took half of the season to see the scoring kick in. Those players had to realize that Brindy was for real. Peters was gone. Go out there and play. 

Now I'm just a bit selfishly sad that the league is figuring this out. No doubt looking partly at our example. This means more coaches trying to emulate Brind'Amour's approach. It's good for the league, but decreases our competitive advantage over time. But coaches are coaches. We'll still keep that advantage for a while. Plus, we have it effused out to the storm surges and other things that keep it fun. 

Eventually the league is going to realize that Don Cherry had it exactly wrong, and the Canes have it exactly right. Until then, we'll keep kicking their butts.

• Like 1

Their GM is currently doing a presser:

He won’t say what Monty did...but said it came to light on Sunday, and they acted quickly.  Event happened a few days before that and GM was notified via phone call.  He’s not divulging anything more, as there are still legal implications.

It was NOT related in any way to the NHL-wide issues.

No players, past or present, were involved.  Also, no connection to his past teams.

No criminal investigation.

Let the rumors fly...

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

I removed a few posts speculating on the Montgomery firing. I think we need a better source on this

Okay then, guess I thought it was factual?

19 hours ago, Bonivan said:

After Bettman's presser I think every owner/GM will reconsider incidents happened with coaches/oher staff  and take actions before that leaks to the public just not to be punished by the League for covering that stuff.

I thought it was interesting that Bettman specifically made it clear that in the Cane's situation, it all happened before Dundon.  I know Dundon is not well liked among other owners, but it looks like Gary threw Tom a nice bone there.  Considering there is talk of an outdoor game, I'm thinking those two may actually get along OK.

3 hours ago, wxray1 said:

I thought it was interesting that Bettman specifically made it clear that in the Cane's situation, it all happened before Dundon.  I know Dundon is not well liked among other owners, but it looks like Gary threw Tom a nice bone there.  Considering there is talk of an outdoor game, I'm thinking those two may actually get along OK.

In the interview with Forslund (I think in February), Bettman made sure to compliment PK, but was also very positive about what Dundon brought to the team. 

3 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

SJ throwing PD under the bus for a turrible GM job.  

Bingo!

BTW...it’s now up to five coach firings since Detroit last won a game.

2 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Bingo!

BTW...it’s now up to five coach firings since Detroit last won a game.

SJ will either hold on and continue to suck or let go and realize a rebuild is necessary.

35 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

SJ will either hold on and continue to suck or let go and realize a rebuild is necessary.

With all their talent and contracts, rebuilding is gonna be a looooooong process 

The Seattle Times - NHL Seattle GM Ron Francis speaks for the first time since Bill Peters coaching abuse allegations Geoff Baker

he explained why he gave Peters a two-year contract extension in July 2016 after earlier having imposed unspecified corrective action on him for striking two players on the bench during a game.

Too much to quote without quoting the article.  Read it, although much of it is very guarded.

I'm glad the franchise has moved forward with a straight talking owner and coach.  I think DW also tells is pretty plain, although is a bit more guarded (I think).

I stand by my original if maybe obvious position. Peters out, Francis survives. 

I think Francis said just enough to get by given his reputation and status in hockey. Personally, I'm curious if part of Francis' firing might have been continued support for Peters if asked if he'd re up him yet again. I don't know that, but if I were Seattle, I'd be more curious about that. 

I just think Francis is actually almost a perfect hire for Seattle in every other respect. He has shown the patience (probably too much) to build through the draft, his major downside is only pulling the trade trigger on big trades rarely, and picking a couple duds in goal. But for a new franchise, his being a major Hall of Famer with a previously excellent reputation will prevail and I just think this is not enough to fell him. 

• Like 2

Kopitar and Doughty have to hating their team situation right now.

Kovy to be terminated.  The Kings will have 11 million in dead cap space between Kovy's termination, Phanuef's buyout, and Mike Richard termination for the next 2 years.  It will be hard for them to ice a competitive team being able to use an 1/8th of their cap space. 

18 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Kopitar and Doughty have to hating their team situation right now.

Kovy to be terminated.  The Kings will have 11 million in dead cap space between Kovy's termination, Phanuef's buyout, and Mike Richard termination for the next 2 years.  It will be hard for them to ice a competitive team being able to use an 1/8th of their cap space. 

Too bad...that's the price you pay for multiple Cups and management that thinks monster contracts for everyone is a good idea.