The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

6 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

Saw that and it's truly sad. Usually that disease is in younger kids, but they've developed newer treatments recently, and there's hope for long term remission.

On 12/14/2019 at 12:27 PM, KJUNKANE said:

Saw that and it's truly sad. Usually that disease is in younger kids, but they've developed newer treatments recently, and there's hope for long term remission.

Glad to hear that.  In my lifetime they've made so much progress on young people's cancers.

Growing up in the 60s/70s, you'd hear about the kid who got lukemia or bone cancer (which I think this is?) and it was the end, no hope.  Glad there are new treatments these days.

Avs, up 3-1 with less than 10 mins left in the 3rd, give up 4 goals at home to the Hawks and lose 5-3. I think we exposed Winnipeg and Colorado 😏

Thankfully when we lose, we see it coming most of the time. 

Edited by surfzone365

This. Copying and pasting a comment: "Chicago got called for too many men with 19.2 to go in OT, but the clock went down to 18.1 by accident. Columbus asked for a correction, but were ignored. Werenski scores a would-be game winning goal that is deemed 0.2 seconds after the buzzer. Had the time been fixed, Columbus would've won right there. Instead, game goes to the SO, where Columbus goalie Joonas Korpisalo is injured, and then Columbus loses."

22 hours ago, thickburglar said:

This. Copying and pasting a comment: "Chicago got called for too many men with 19.2 to go in OT, but the clock went down to 18.1 by accident. Columbus asked for a correction, but were ignored. Werenski scores a would-be game winning goal that is deemed 0.2 seconds after the buzzer. Had the time been fixed, Columbus would've won right there. Instead, game goes to the SO, where Columbus goalie Joonas Korpisalo is injured, and then Columbus loses."

I saw that and wondered about the back story, namely Torts saying "we lose our goalie and we lose the game". As I was too lazy/busy at the time to look up what happened, thanks thickburglar for clarifying.

PS- as obnoxious as the man is, I think his comment about what all the technology in play to review everything except bathroom habits of the players, it's literally incredible that they either wouldn't or couldn't review his contention of incorrect clock setting?

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thickburglar said:

I like Torts. He has some valid points.  The BJs also put the Hawks on their loathsome and putrid PP 6 times and had 3 cracks at the even worse Hawks PK but couldn’t score. Blowing a 2-0 lead is common place in the NHL and nothing to really to be surprised about these days, but terrible calls went both ways in that game.  Torts has every right to blow a fuse but some of that needs to be directed at his club as much as the guys in stripes 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

It seems like the zebra hating has hit a new peak this year.  There is always a homer effect where you think Tim Peel is against you (he is), but this year there seems to be horrible officiating in games I don’t really care about.  That’s really bad for the NHL and may take a long time to fix.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MisterDobz said:

this year there seems to be horrible officiating in games I don’t really care about.  That’s really bad for the NHL and may take a long time to fix.

Been my point for most of this season. Time for coaches and GM's to band together and demand better. Torts was a little off base on who to be infuriated with on his rant and that particular situation, but I think it was more a product of the rising frustration among all concerned, coaches, players, fans. Nobody knows what the rules interpretations are anymore from night to night or period to period, and its building as you see more coaches and players mouthing indiscriminately at the stripers on a regular basis. The inconsistency is morbid, the fact that there is so much "interstriper" discussion going on is a sure sign that most of them are unsure of what they see and what they call, and officials in anything cannot be any more incompetent than trepidation. Like you, I think its horrible for the league and wreaks of some sort of contractually being at the mercy of their all too powerful union. Time to at least to own up to failures and communicate to the public that measures are being taken to improve it.

• Like 1

Thing is, they almost always mess with the clock on review in the last minute of close games.   Why not this time?  That's why he's blowing a gasket.

The reason is probably:  because it was Torts.  And because it was Columbus and not an orig 6.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, OBXer said:

You can't say Torts doesn't Put His Money Where His Mouth Is

What's his salary once again? I think he can comment like that after every game and still make some good money 

4 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

What's his salary once again? I think he can comment like that after every game and still make some good money 

I don't care how much money you make. 20k ain't chump change

2 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I don't care how much money you make. 20k ain't chump change

I mean that $20K like those $2K - $5K fines for players from players safety just look ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Love the comments section in the tweet. I hope the one that the nhl coaches are all chipping in $700 to pay his fine is true. Proves what I've said all season. Players, coaches, fans, everyone is dadgum sick of the pitiful excuse that officiating has become. They need to be called out, publicly embarrassed, and brought down if need be. Does a heart good to know fans of every club are just as sick of it as I am.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 2ndsacker said:

Love the comments section in the tweet. I hope the one that the nhl coaches are all chipping in $700 to pay his fine is true. Proves what I've said all season. Players, coaches, fans, everyone is dadgum sick of the pitiful excuse that officiating has become. They need to be called out, publicly embarrassed, and brought down if need be. Does a heart good to know fans of every club are just as sick of it as I am.

Start a gofundme? ;)

3 hours ago, 2ndsacker said:

Agreed.  It's absolutely disgraceful that the league fines him for speaking up instead of addressing the problem.  The fans are the ones who suffer the most, but the league obviously doesn't give a crap about the fans.

*edit* Evil Empire! Now in OT vs Sharkiez!  I SWEAR JR sold his soul, cause there is no other way to explain why they keep winning in spite of the injuries!

On 12/30/2019 at 2:34 PM, surfzone365 said:

I like Torts. He has some valid points.  The BJs also put the Hawks on their loathsome and putrid PP 6 times and had 3 cracks at the even worse Hawks PK but couldn’t score. Blowing a 2-0 lead is common place in the NHL and nothing to really to be surprised about these days, but terrible calls went both ways in that game.  Torts has every right to blow a fuse but some of that needs to be directed at his club as much as the guys in stripes 🤷🏻‍♂️

Tortorella is known for his foul mouthed tirades.  The "call" notwithstanding-He should use a little class and quit uttering epithets.  He got what he deserved.(imho)

Desperate times?