The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Well, the Sens have a PR nightmare on their hands.  Some Uber driver posted a 5 min conversation players were having, mainly about their PK.  Canes get a mention!  (As being at the bottom along with them.)  Mostly boy talk.  Optics aren't too good, but ya know how boys are.  Makes you wonder how our boys are feeling about their PK and PP coaching.  When there's talk about "losing the room," uh, I think this might be an example?

Link is safe, but stop auto-play of any embedded video which is NSFW (language).

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/candid-camera-ottawa-senators-players-caught-on-video-joking-about-team-badmouthing-coach

Then Duchene can be heard replying: “Here’s the other thing, too. We don’t change anything, ever. So why do we even have a meeting? I haven’t paid attention in three weeks.

Edited by wxray1

25 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Well, the Sens have a PR nightmare on their hands

I doubt this will end well

Duchene has 12 point in 14 games, so there's that. 

I wonder about the in the room stuff. So hard to really know. I remember Patrick O Sullivan when he was on XM last year saying that Mike Hoffman was not just caught up in a bad situation with his wife and Karlson's wife, but that he himself was despised in the locker room. He claimed to have that from a source close to the situation. O'Sullivan said that most guy's with personality issues were not really a big deal, but there were a few cancers who were just over the top selfish and those guys could bring a whole team down. He claimed Hoffman was one of those guys. Interesting Hoffman has 6 goals and 9 points in 11 games, yet Florida is in last place in the East. Probably too convenient to pin that on Hoffman, but does make you go hmmmm. 

Hopefully we'd have some inside intel on Duchene's effect on the room before going there. The picture painted by circumstantial stuff is pretty damning, but who really knows? 

I will say this. Matt Duchene is a UFA after next year, just like Skinner. Maybe we could offer Cliff Pu and the second and third we got from Buffalo.

Hawks goalie Corey Crawford sustained another concussion in last nights loss to San Jose. I wonder if his continued health concerns, coupled with Cam Ward not being a long-term answer, will garner any interest in Mongo.

2 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

Hawks goalie Corey Crawford sustained another concussion in last nights loss to San Jose. I wonder if his continued health concerns, coupled with Cam Ward not being a long-term answer, will garner any interest in Mongo.

All of his shortcomings notwithstanding, if last year proved anything, it’s that Cam is better than Darling. Surely Chicago has a better option than Darling if they want another goalie. Whatever glory he achieved in Chicago, I don’t think it’s anywhere to be found now.

Chicago's season is already over. Rehabilitating Mongo with the pressure off might not be a bad play, and might actually put some butts in the seats. 

As for Wardo, no. Not better. Just bad in a different way: Toast by February 1.

On 12/17/2018 at 8:07 PM, top-shelf-1 said:

Chicago's season is already over. Rehabilitating Mongo with the pressure off might not be a bad play, and might actually put some butts in the seats. 

As for Wardo, no. Not better. Just bad in a different way: Toast by February 1.

Chicago is 4-1-1 in its last 6 games partially due to Wardo. Cam looked elite against Dallas and outclassed Ben Bishop. He never ceases to amaze me regarding the Vezina-caliber games he can still have (with the usual stinkers in between)

• Like 3

Just now, LakeLivin said:

Be interesting to see if another team takes a shot with him. 

I've been seeing a lot of comments online about us trying to pick him back up... I think with as dire as our situation is rapidly becoming, the investing in the hopes of the future isn't the best move. 

7 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Zyk = Ryan Murphy 2.0

Zykov's not the answer, but he's now had 2 strong wake-up calls in being waived by 2 NHL teams.  I'd bring him in, put him out there in place of either Foegele or Kuok (Foegele because he needs a night or two off to sit and take notes, Kuok because i think he's even less an answer than Zyk - sorry guys, Kuok doesn't do diddly for me) with explicit instructions to go to the net every time we have the puck in the O-zone and to backcheck every time we're in the D-zone.  If he does that, i give him ice time.  If he doesn't, back on waivers he goes.  Based on what i've seen of them both in Charlotte, he deserves the opportunity way more than Kuok.

• Like 1

Kuok has been a disappointment so far. He hasn't had many games, but this guy was creating some offense last year out there, and clearly found his game in the AHL this year. He has come up onto a pretty bad offensive team, but I also think guys come up and focus on their back checking and not making mistakes rather than trying to make plays. This may be the right thing to do in some ways but at some point you have to produce at least chances. 

I do wonder if some guys, like Foegele for instance, and probably Kuok might be better popping down to the AHL for a while to get back their playmaking offensive mojo, then come back up again.

I agree Zykov is not the answer, but man do we seem to have a historical inability to grow elite talent the way they supposedly do in places like Detroit or Tampa. Zykov came up and flashed a brief ability to go to the net and score twice late in NHL seasons, including 7 points in 10 game last year, then went on to lead the AHL in scoring. Then suddenly he's useless and waived from a team that features such offensive stars as PDG, McGinn, Foegele, and Victor Rask. 

Again, Zykov may well end up being the next Bowman or Boychuk, but I just don't get why we needed to waive him after just 13 games. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, remkin said:

I agree Zykov is not the answer, but man do we seem to have a historical inability to grow elite talent the way they supposedly do in places like Detroit or Tampa. Zykov came up and flashed a brief ability to go to the net and score twice late in NHL seasons, including 7 points in 10 game last year, then went on to lead the AHL in scoring. Then suddenly he's useless and waived from a team that features such offensive stars as PDG, McGinn, Foegele, and Victor Rask. 

Again, Zykov may well end up being the next Bowman or Boychuk, but I just don't get why we needed to waive him after just 13 games. 

Me either.  I still think we should have given him another shot, but committee obviously knows what it's doing, as the results speak for themselves.  </sarchasm>

So who is everybody pulling for in the playoffs this season?  As much as i hate to say it, it might be Buffalo for me - really hit the point home as to what a stupid-edit trade that was this summer.

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

So who is everybody pulling for in the playoffs this season?  As much as i hate to say it, it might be Buffalo for me - really hit the point home as to what a stupid-edit trade that was this summer.

Boston, Dallas, and Vegas...assuming they all make it

5 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Wards starting in the Winter Classic, good for him but I doubt it's good for the Hawks.

He's playing against Tukka...who hasn't exactly been lighting it up either.  Could be a score-fest!

5 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

He's playing against Tukka...who hasn't exactly been lighting it up either.  Could be a score-fest!

Cam has been logging some good play for the Hawks as of late. I’m happy to see Cam back on the big stage for a day.