The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

What do you guys think of the hit by Tkachuk on Kassian, followed by the retaliation and soon to be safety hearing by the league?

IMO, while technically a "clean hit" because he turned sideways just prior to contact, Kassian was engaged with another Oilers player while Tkachuk came at him about 100 mph and completely blind sided him.  Tkachuk deserved what he got in retaliation, and I don't think the league should encourage hits like that.  They will almost likely strap Kassian with some suspension, but a) he got his money's worth, and b) he let the league know they better not pull any stunts like that on his teammates.

I think Tkachuk's hit was potentially dangerous, especially so close to the boards, and maybe the league should question why that kind of action does not rate a penalty.

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

For reference:

Idk if the league starts suspending and giving fines for hits like that they want physicality out of the game. It was a hard hit but completely clean. My biggest concern would be how close to the boards they were but Cassian didnt got the boards

• Like 1

1 minute ago, realmdrakkar said:

I just like seeing that punk Tkachuk being slung around like a rag doll.

Duh!  Who doesn’t outside of Calgary?

Wish Malkin and Ovi would get that kind of treatment 

• Like 1

Even though the announcers summarily decided it wasn't charging, I'm not so sure.  Especially since he was engaged with another player.   But charging is so vague as to "how far" the player comes to engage the check, etc.

Just now, wxray1 said:

Even though the announcers summarily decided it wasn't charging, I'm not so sure.  Especially since he was engaged with another player.   But charging is so vague as to "how far" the player comes to engage the check, etc.

Well, he was playing the puck too...so no charging.  But yah,

Tkachuk was totally wanting to make that play at full speed, and, while legal, got what he deserved for doing it against the wrong guy.   It’d be like Svech doing that to Tom Wilson.

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

Well, he was playing the puck too...so no charging.  But yah,

Playing the puck doesn't automatically wash out charging.

7 hours ago, wxray1 said:

I agree.  Kassian was engaged with another player fighting to gain control of the puck and Tkachuk lined him up from about the face off circle and clocked him full bore from the blind side.  If the NHL is concerned about player safety, I think they need to be as concerned about players in Kassian's position as they seem to be about Tkachuk getting tossed around like a wet mop following the hit.

On 1/12/2020 at 1:17 PM, beboplar said:

What do you guys think of the hit by Tkachuk on Kassian, followed by the retaliation and soon to be safety hearing by the league?

IMO, while technically a "clean hit" because he turned sideways just prior to contact, Kassian was engaged with another Oilers player while Tkachuk came at him about 100 mph and completely blind sided him.  Tkachuk deserved what he got in retaliation, and I don't think the league should encourage hits like that.  They will almost likely strap Kassian with some suspension, but a) he got his money's worth, and b) he let the league know they better not pull any stunts like that on his teammates.

I think Tkachuk's hit was potentially dangerous, especially so close to the boards, and maybe the league should question why that kind of action does not rate a penalty.

And Kassian gets suspended.  Misplaced priorities on the part of the NHL, IMO.

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-oilers-zack-kassian-suspended-two-games-1.1426888?fbclid=IwAR2dn5hSA-2CsU5Buem55LFt-LFEMi87lFyHT59OrRBYKrmBsB19mq5cUE8

Svech showed the way - that it can be done to Goalies for Western Canada teams. Can’t deny Forsberg’s skill on that play, but how many years was he in the league without trying it once before Svech did it twice. If the NHL is like the NFL (no fun league), they’ll outlaw the lacrosse move this offseason.

9 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

JR continuing his questionable decision making with giving Pettersson 20 million.  

Hurrah for JR, true to the end?

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

JR continuing his questionable decision making with giving Pettersson 20 million.  

Keep up the good work, JR!  But can you please wreck the Evil Empire quicker?